Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 09:40 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,055,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Wow. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
I get so jealous when I go to Houston. It's like Austin on steroids in terms of VARIETY. Tons more unique stores and restaurants, and just really cool areas with "vibe" than San Antonio has. It would be nice if SA could develop some of that, rather than taqueria after taqueria. I swear, sometimes I think if it's not wrapped in a tortilla, it's not going to be eaten here in SA. And we mustn't forget the gov't cheese on top of it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 11:46 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,506,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I get so jealous when I go to Houston. It's like Austin on steroids in terms of VARIETY. Tons more unique stores and restaurants, and just really cool areas with "vibe" than San Antonio has. It would be nice if SA could develop some of that, rather than taqueria after taqueria. I swear, sometimes I think if it's not wrapped in a tortilla, it's not going to be eaten here in SA. And we mustn't forget the gov't cheese on top of it all.
Couldn't agree more. I wouldn't be too surprised to see someone eating watermelon in a tortilla around here! There must be 20 of these taqueria and jalisco joints within 2 miles of my house. Something fresh, tasty and somewhat healthy would be sooo welcome here.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:35 PM

399 posts, read 1,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Wow. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
Ditto on that, I'm not sure which Houston SnappyBob has been to, but it's not the one 200 miles east of here.

Maybe SnappyBob should visit Harwin

Old 10-22-2010, 12:42 PM

33 posts, read 86,390 times
OP, thanks for posting. I grew up going to the original Lupe in W. Houston, before it expanded in to multiple locations. I'm a fan of their margaritas and chicken stuffed poblano peppers and am happy to see them come to SA.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:38 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,839,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarichie75 View Post
Yes, there are a ton of tex-mex restaurants, but there aren't any good ones here.
Lupe Tortillas is good. I hope you will at least try it once.
Oh no you didnt go there...

In the cradle of Texas and the home of the tex-mex cusine, you're gonna say " there aint any good ones here". I think the phrase you should use is..." I donrt know of any, and probably wouldnt know the dif".

Old 10-22-2010, 01:41 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,839,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 713 to 210 View Post
OMG! You should be kicked outta Texas for blaspheming Mama Ninfa <facetious>! We can thank her (RIP) for launching fajitas in America. Ninfa's is an institution in Houston, think Bill Miller's or Taco Cabana but bigger and with better food. Shoot, they even have their own wikipedia page.

<tears> I miss them so much.

Ninfa´s | On Navigation desde 1973
Ninfa's - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was never a big Lupe fan because they were more expensive and I thought their HUGE tortilla's were a schtick. With that said, I know many, many Houstonians who love Lupe and I'll definitely try it again. It's been hard to find quality fajitas here in SA (I know all the native SAers are offended).
Ninfa launched resturant-style fajitas...folk in these parts we eating mesquite "brasas" fajitas for a long time berfore they became popular in Resturants.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:51 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,420,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Ninfa launched resturant-style fajitas...folk in these parts we eating mesquite "brasas" fajitas for a long time berfore they became popular in Resturants.

What part of "Launched fajitas in America" and "Ninfa's restaurant" is confusing?

You know, some of you folks act like there's no Mexicans anywhere else but here. It's really kinda funny. You do realize what ethnicity is the majority in Houston, right? Just makin' sure!

Old 10-22-2010, 03:03 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,789,357 times
I am surprised how many people here didn't know Ninfa's used to be in San Antonio.

As with any resturant, when they branch out, there is always the risk of failing due to lack of quality that was found in the original location. Hopefully this does not happen to Lupe's Tortillas.

That is exactly what happened to Ninfa's in San Antonio. It was terrible and that is why I found it difficult to see Ninfa's as an icon of mexican (or tex-mex) food.

With that said, I am going to give Ninfa's a try next time I am in Houston. Hopefully this location proves differently than the other two locations I have eaten at (San Antonio and Waco).

Old 10-22-2010, 03:11 PM

399 posts, read 1,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
With that said, I am going to give Ninfa's a try next time I am in Houston. Hopefully this location proves differently than the other two locations I have eaten at (San Antonio and Waco).
I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised. The original location is a bit of a grown up dive, but aren't all great "original" locations? If you have kids, take them with you, they hand out tortilla "dough" balls that will keep them busy through dinner. Also, if you go in the summer, get some Astros tickets, they have a free shuttle back and forth on game nights.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:07 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,754,633 times
I have been to Lupe in Houston and believe me I am excited. I've been to one place after another here in San Antonio and nothing satisfys. When I order my carne asada I want a whole steak and lime to go with it, not chopped up and a flimsy cilantro leaf on it. I have been really disappointed with Tex-Mex here. I hope Lupe keeps the same 'formula' and I look forward to a carne asada!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio