Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 08:10 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,742,565 times

Advertisements

Ranger Creek area maybe? Welfare Waring Rd out by Don Strange? I've seen this place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 08:25 PM

556 posts, read 2,089,612 times
I can make out "Texas Farm Bureau" on the No Trespassing sign tacked to the tree in the photo.....but I'm with all of you - I'd love to know where this is - so I can go see it first hand as well - it's beautiful!

Old 09-24-2010, 08:47 PM

111 posts, read 285,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Because of the 30 miles or less distance, I figured it might be out near Rebecca Creek Rd. or maybe close to Bergheim. There are also some neat little creeks around Kendalia.
You're pretty much right on the button.

The Answer is: This is the Acker Road Crossing at Curry Creek, located about half a mile above where Curry Creek merges with the Guadalupe River, in Kendall County. Heading north on Edge Falls Road (that runs between Bergheim and Kendalia), after a few miles there is a turn-off to the right to Acker Road. The first few miles of this road have recently been graded and paved, but after a while it turns into a dirt-and-gravel one-lane road. Even though this is a public road, there are two closed gates before reaching the stream crossing -- you have to get out to open the gate then return back to close it after passing.

After the low water crossing, there is another closed gate, and the gravel road gives way to pavement again. Within a few miles, where the road crosses the Kendall/Comal County Line the name changes to Urschel Road, and a few miles later it merges with Spring Branch Road, which takes you to US-281. Map of the location here: Yahoo! Maps, Driving Directions, and Traffic

The first Europeans in Kendall County settled along the banks of Curry Creek further upstream in 1847, south of present-day Kendalia. Curry Creek starts in the center of the county and generally runs southeast until it meets with the Guadalupe River, in the northern part of Guadalupe River State Park. Roughly five miles upstream, Curry Creek flows over some limestone cliffs forming Edge Falls (Edge Falls is not open to the pu), forming a large natural swimming hole that was popular for many decades until access was cut off by the land owner in the Seventies. The smaller upper falls are visible from the roadway, but the much more impressive lower falls and grotto are on private property and out of view.

If you look more closely in the picture (Guess My Location Photo #1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthigh/5019435310/ - broken link)), in the background you can just barely see a ripple in the creek that marks where the original low water crossing was located. At one time in the distant past, this road was straight; but now there is a kink in the roadway forming the present-day crossing -- a longer, wider path that gives the creek a larger area for the water to pass over, reducing the chance of flooding. When I visited on Sept. 23rd, the creek was still running a bit high from the recent rains, maybe about eight inches deep on the roadway. For all of the previous week, though, the crossing had been closed due to the rainfall from T.S. Karl.

If anyone plans to visit this spot in the future, be aware of just how deep the water is before crossing. Also, all of the land is private property, so do not stray from the public right-of-way, some of the landowners don't take too kindly to trespassers. And be sure to check out the nearby upper Edge Falls if you're in the area.

Here's another photo I took of almost the exact same spot, at this time last year: Picture A Day November 16, 2009 - Curry Creek Crossing | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthigh/4051162370/in/set-72157620610035860/ - broken link) -- as you can see, not much has changed, other than the water's a bit higher now.

To everyone -- thanks for all the guesses. The next one will be easier, I promise!

Old 09-24-2010, 08:56 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,057,647 times
Awesome. I knew I had been out in the area at one time or another (but had no idea of the exact location). Thank you for creating a GREAT thread and I hope you will continue to post. I have traveled many miles on the back roads (plus I am a Sister Creek wine junkie) and hope others enjoy the road trips, too. Excellent photos on your flickr page.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:07 PM

Okay, here's a new photo, which I hope will be a little bit easier:

This photo was taken earlier in September, and is located at a popular tourist destination within the San Antonio city limits. Any ideas?

To view the photo on Flickr, including full-size (3264x2448), link here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthigh/5022140514/ (broken link)

Old 09-24-2010, 10:43 PM

321 posts, read 1,070,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhradio View Post
Okay, here's a new photo, which I hope will be a little bit easier:

This photo was taken earlier in September, and is located at a popular tourist destination within the San Antonio city limits. Any ideas?

To view the photo on Flickr, including full-size (3264x2448), link here: Guess My Location #2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthigh/5022140514/ - broken link)

Ah, you made this one too easy. It's Mission San Jose. Here's my somewhat careless shot of the same area in which I managed to catch someone's gut. It's from October 2009.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23753224@N04/5022295440/ (broken link)Mission San Jose | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/23753224@N04/5022295440/ - broken link)

There was a bride taking her wedding portrait in this area right before I took this pict. Nice setting for it.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:57 PM

The first (and only guess) was correct.

The Answer Is: These are the stone archways that are part of the Mission San Jose in south San Antonio, the second in a string of missions that are now part of the San Antonio Missions National Historical Park. It was originally established in 1720, five miles south of The Alamo near the San Antonio River, and much of the church was restored as part of a WPA project in the Thirties. During the weekends the parks are pretty busy, but if you visit during the weekday, they are essentially deserted.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:14 PM

Okay, here's a third photo in the series -- this one is also a church, but just a wee bit smaller than the one in the previous photo.

This church is located near San Antonio but outside the city limits. It was built in 1904, contains one pew and can seat a grand total of three worshipers at a time. To view the photo on Flickr (including the full-size 3264x2448 version), go here: Guess My Location Photo #3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthigh/5038391528/ - broken link)

Any ideas? Guess away!

Old 09-29-2010, 11:46 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,147,449 times
Is it:
Immaculate Conception Chapel on the Hill 1904 at St. Joseph's in Honey Creek???

Old 09-30-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
Is it:
Immaculate Conception Chapel on the Hill 1904 at St. Joseph's in Honey Creek???
Wow, that was quick -- perhaps too easy?

This tiny little church sits on the top of a hill overlooking St. Joseph's Catholic Church to the west of Bulverde off Highway 46. The modern 2006 church is visible in the background, and there is another church (built in 1912) hidden from view to the left of the modern church, next to the cemetery. Next to this small three-seat chapel is a walking path through the cedar trees at the top of the hill, which contains displays for the fourteen stations of the cross. I've seen plenty of tiny churches, but this might be the smallest one I've come across.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio