Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 06:41 AM

475 posts, read 1,096,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
What in the BLUE BALZAC IS WRONG WITH YOU!?!?!?! Why are you releasing spoilers?!?!?! ARRRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!
You're right... I should have issued a spoiler alert as I know there are many who might just be getting to season 4 watching the show on DVD... oops, I just did it again. Sorry.

Actually, it may or may not be a spoiler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 07:18 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,063,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Not to be rude but are you living under a rock?
No, not a rock, not even a hard place. Go ahead, give me a reason to stay and tell me how great all the tech companies are going to help make this a great city over the next 10 years. Inform me....

Old 09-01-2010, 09:47 AM

615 posts, read 1,078,159 times
It's hard to say. Amidst the overwhelming mediocrity I also see signs of modernization. I think it depends on how much immigration from other parts of the country we have over the next decade, as they will probably be the ones pushing for modernization.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:03 AM

810 posts, read 1,428,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
It's hard to say. Amidst the overwhelming mediocrity I also see signs of modernization. I think it depends on how much immigration from other parts of the country we have over the next decade, as they will probably be the ones pushing for modernization.
Yes, and they will get pushed back from the locals who have lived here all their lives and continue to believe “Things are just fine the way they are”.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:44 AM

574 posts, read 1,341,115 times
Hopefully there is a thriving and dedicated Farmer's Market in ten years. I was surprised by the lack of one when I moved here.

I do appreciate the little farmer's market down at the Pearl, but I think this city could support a larger scale operation.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:00 AM

18,156 posts, read 25,380,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
I think it depends on how much immigration
It's very optimistic to assume that "immigrants from other areas" will improve a place.
More likely than not, the people moving in are not exactly people that are going to improve the city.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:38 AM

810 posts, read 1,428,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadlockd View Post
Hopefully there is a thriving and dedicated Farmer's Market in ten years. I was surprised by the lack of one when I moved here.

I do appreciate the little farmer's market down at the Pearl, but I think this city could support a larger scale operation.
FYI, there is a better farmers market every Sunday (10am to 2pm?) at The Legacy Shopping Center off 1604 and 281.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:50 AM

254 posts, read 549,533 times
Quote:

Perhaps in ten years, maybe eight. I'm all for this.

I was watching a program this weekend (CBS Sunday Morning?),
and they had a farm were you could pick out your own produce-
even took food stamps.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:59 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,063,039 times
Quote:
What happened to El Mercado between Houston & Commerce street?

Old 09-01-2010, 03:26 PM

580 posts, read 1,431,906 times
I think that the continued growth of UTSA and its academic culture will be essential. Solidifying our existing graduate programs, and adding new ones, will help immeasurably with this. And undergraduate admissions standards are going to need to rise even more. (I just wish that the main campus was downtown, and not way out on 1604! Think what a cool college vibe you could have down there.)

I also think that we'll need more "development" downtown and in the areas that immediately border it. Young, creative, ambitious types want dense, interesting, quirky neighborhoods where they can walk to quality bars, restaurants, clubs, and parks. They also want outdoor amenities and bike-friendly corridors, which are continuing to grow.

I also think that it would be wise for San Antonio to continue to focus on its Hispanic heritage. It's what sets our city apart, in terms of both history and contemporary culture. (It also sets UTSA apart.) It would be great for it to have a national, or even global, reputation as a "Latino mecca." The well known art scene here already has that vibe, and it's producing some really neat stuff. The new Culinary Institute will also have that background, and having Nelson Rockefeller's amazing collection of Latin American art at SAMA doesn't hurt, either. And I think we all realize that Julian Castro is personally doing a lot to draw attention to San Antonio, and that's partially because he's seen as a rising political star, especially given the region's (and the nation's) increasing Latino demographic.

(FWIW: I'm not Latino, but I do appreciate that Latino (or "Hispanic" or "Tejano") culture is what sets this city apart, and what could continue to make it a "magnet city" for young, ambitious people, who are looking for something different, with its own kind of authenticity.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio