Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 08:52 AM

702 posts, read 1,985,210 times

Advertisements

My family and I are new to the South Jordan area. So far so good except getting used to the driving out here. I don't understand the concept where people fly up to stop signs and then slam on their brakes and then when a light is green and u are making a right the person making a left thinks they have the right away. This is making me crazy. Other than that everything seems to be ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 09:12 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,980,096 times
I have been here 14 years and came from Jersey..I STILL have a hard time understanding Utah drivers. The red light running gets my goat all the time. My house also sits near a stop sign in a subdivision. You would think that would mean STOP. Not so much. Nearly everyone rolls through that stop sign and I am just waiting for a child to be crossing the street there...

BTW-welcome to Utah! Glad you are settling in okay.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:17 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,881,046 times
I have never seen a city with so few left-turn lights! Everyone needing to make a left waits until the light turns yellow/red, then goes through. Quite a hazard, IMHO.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:24 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,769,372 times
Just wait....it get's better. If you value your life I highly recommend you NOT leap forward as soon as a light turns green in an intersection. Utah drivers are FAMOUS for blowing through yellow lights as they turn red. The timings are such you might get clipped if you don't watch out for those moves. Utah drivers have a lot more bad moves so just drive VERY defensively or you'll be a victim for sure. Nobody taught them to stay OUT of the left lane unless moving along at a good clip either. Must be a unique trait here as I came from Chicago, and you'd loose your life with that behavior. Same in California....they know how to stay OUT of that left lane unless you're moving a bit faster than the average traffic. We had a neighbor get killed a few months ago by a young gal (probably distracted by putting her makeup on) ran a red light and broadsided a gentleman (now deceased). You can NOT trust peoples judgement even when you think you're in the right of way around here, or you'll be pushing up daises if you catch my drift.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:35 AM

I am from Maryland and even though we have the same amount of volume...you would get killed doing what some of these people do here...ugh...alot of getting used to thats for sure. I also notice that when people are trying to cross a road (make a left) instead of first looking at the traffic coming at you, they look at the opposite side first..that is jst so very odd to me. Even mall traffic is full of crazy people.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,111 times
Default Can you tell me more about Salt Lake City and area

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoutah View Post
My family and I are new to the South Jordan area. So far so good except getting used to the driving out here. I don't understand the concept where people fly up to stop signs and then slam on their brakes and then when a light is green and u are making a right the person making a left thinks they have the right away. This is making me crazy. Other than that everything seems to be ok.
My husband and myself would also like to more to the Salt Lake City area.
We have never been there, just passed through moving to Reno, Nv.
Have heard that the driving in Salt Lake is very busy and congested; is this true? Also, what is this about South Jordan being Snob City?
Can anyone out there give me the pros and cons about Salt Lake city and its suburbs. It's nice to know before you plan to move out there!

Thanks,
Arlene.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:09 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,881,046 times
WHile the driving is not as good as it could be, I come from New Orleans where it is infinitely worse. As others posted, turning here can be a mess. People think they know how to drive in rain/snow/ice and they don't alter their driving at all. Makes for quite a few slide-offs and accidents in bad weather. I do think people are usually polite and let you merge. The joke during the Olympics was that you could tell a visiotr by their rude driving habits. People here don't honk at other drivers much. I can't remember when I last heard a horn in traffic.

Can't tell you anything about the suburbs, didn't want to live there and never looked. I live in Sugar House and love it.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:25 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,481,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlene3253 View Post
My husband and myself would also like to more to the Salt Lake City area.
We have never been there, just passed through moving to Reno, Nv.
Have heard that the driving in Salt Lake is very busy and congested; is this true?
Depends where you are coming from. But I'd have to disagree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlene3253 View Post
Also, what is this about South Jordan being Snob City?
See above.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:08 PM

It is very busy and I come from a very congested state. I have never seen so much traffic in my life until I came here. And the drivers are horrible. Yes snob and barbie doll central in South Jordan.trust me.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:50 AM

550 posts, read 2,170,427 times
Yeah, Utah is turning into Little New York when it comes to congestion. But it's better than Los Angeles, New York, and others. Considering you're coming from Reno, I'll guess congestion is worse here.

Drivers, I hate them. Here at least. God forbid you're going under 80 on the freeway (I can imagine the shock on drivers' faces when they see Legacy Parkway will have a 55mph speed limit). As other people have said, you've got the grannies going 50 on the freeway, and then everyone else is 80-90. Then, there are the few that drive the posted speed limit and get dirty looks. And this is on every city road, not just the freeways. Granted, some roads have ridiculously low limits (21st South is at 30 from 300 West to Sugarhouse, same with State Street in Downtown, Bangerter is 50 in some places), but don't expect people going the speed on the sign.

See that yellow left-turn light? Apparently to drivers here, that means, "Hey, let's see how many cars can beat the light." Don't be surprised to see three or four cars continue to turn left after the light has turned red. Though I guess this isn't limited to just turning left.

And not to be forgotten, there are two seasons in Utah. Winter and construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area