Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 06:08 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times

Advertisements

Maybe a/c has improved, but when I lived in the South, we always had the unit serviced at least once per year, in the early Spring - check freon (whatever that stuff is called now), clean the blower, etc. I still vote for the low, low power bills! And I do believe a swamp cooler is more environmentally friendly.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-18-2008 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 08:27 PM

421 posts, read 1,740,794 times
I seem to be in the minority, but the reason I don't like swamp coolers is that they make the house feel muggy, and they don't cool as efficiently as a/c.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:28 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,282 times
These things sound good in that they are not as cold as a/c. Around here it gets so humid that sometimes you have to run the a/c just to kill the humidity (or your house gets "stuffy"), but you don't really need the cooling, so it makes it frigid. I only like using it when it's really hot out. But I'm wondering, do swamp coolers make it damp in your house or cause any mold problems? Or is it just so dry out there that the moisture evaporates quickly?

Chazcrew, you beat me to the punch! That's what I was wondering about...

Old 06-18-2008, 10:21 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
Default re: mold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabon View Post
These things sound good in that they are not as cold as a/c. Around here it gets so humid that sometimes you have to run the a/c just to kill the humidity (or your house gets "stuffy"), but you don't really need the cooling, so it makes it frigid. I only like using it when it's really hot out. But I'm wondering, do swamp coolers make it damp in your house or cause any mold problems? Or is it just so dry out there that the moisture evaporates quickly?

Chazcrew, you beat me to the punch! That's what I was wondering about...
I have never seen mold in my house. When I moved here, I was still spreading my towel out all over the bar so it wouldn't get musty and would dry by the next time I needed it. I finally realized I could just throw it any old way and it would dry pretty fast! I have had Christmas Days in New Orleans where I ran the a/c b/c it was so humid and I have had Christmas dinner served on paper plates b/c the water pipes had frozen in the ground. At least here, the pipes are buried pretty deeply (deep to me anyway). I know I have seen stories on TV about mold problems in houses here but I think they existed b/c of constant leaks.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:59 PM

24 posts, read 102,212 times
I have 2 Master Cool units I think they are called and there are several other brands and they are a deluxe unit. The pads are about 8 inches thick and last for years with cleaning and descaling once a year. They are great! Mine is connected to ducts thru out the house like regular AC.

After reading about the costs of AC compared to swampers, I am wondering if I want AC in my next home in UT. I want low cost, and a little maintenance
won't hurt me.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:27 AM

515 posts, read 2,323,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I have never seen mold in my house. When I moved here, I was still spreading my towel out all over the bar so it wouldn't get musty and would dry by the next time I needed it. I finally realized I could just throw it any old way and it would dry pretty fast! I have had Christmas Days in New Orleans where I ran the a/c b/c it was so humid and I have had Christmas dinner served on paper plates b/c the water pipes had frozen in the ground. At least here, the pipes are buried pretty deeply (deep to me anyway). I know I have seen stories on TV about mold problems in houses here but I think they existed b/c of constant leaks.
Well when I look for an apartment what kind of cooling it has is not that big an issue to me, so I could wind up with either a/c or swamp cooler. I was just concerned about it making it damp in the house because I have curly hair which I straighten, and humidity makes it curl! I am so looking forward to a dry climate! I also like how your food doesn't get stale. My brother lived in NM for a while, and he couldn't get over how long the crackers and cereal stay fresh!

Old 07-10-2010, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,529 times
Default apalm

I too have an evaporative cooler mounted on my house. I love it. We have never had a problem with mold. However, my unit is over 20 years old and is just falling apart. The type I have is a Kenmore. This particular model is no longer in production. My main concern with my swamp cooler is wter leaking on the roof.

I don't want to change to air because it is not cost efficient (plus the power company has the ability to switch down the power on most acs in this state).

Has anyone ever heard of a roof mounted air exchange? How does this work?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:06 AM

835 posts, read 2,076,119 times
Rocky Mountain Power was denied-by Herbert himself-the ability to reduce power during peak demand times. You can sign up and allow them to do that and get some type of reduction in your power bill if you choose to do so.
Still glad that we switched to central air and dumped the beastly swamp cooler. Our power bill has not been much higher-maybe 20-30 bucks-and it is fabulous to come home to cool, dry air. The unit we have is big-and that seems to be the key is getting the right size unit-but it is so quiet and efficient that i have to be standing next to it to hear it running.
It has been a rather humid-for SLC anyway-couple of weeks and I have noticed some that my friends want to hang out at my house and "chill"-pun intended!

Old 07-12-2010, 01:00 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,593,094 times
I got rid of my swamp last month and a new energy efficient furnace and a/c. Haven't had a full month's worth of use yet but I've estimated my next power bill to be about $50. That's about a $20 increase from the same time period last year.

I too liked my swamp just fine but decided I didn't want to deal with finding guys to get up on the roof at least twice a year to service it. It's also nice not to have the mess of hard water deposits blowing through the louvres.

I keep my house at 75 when I'm home, 79 when I'm gone. My blinds are almost always closed during the heat of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area