Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 12:54 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times

Advertisements

Very few Open Houses on Sundays b/c of folks going to church and staying home with family.
Weather is unpredictable - today it is 54 degrees, 2 days agao (June!) it was 40 degrees when I got up.
State liquor stores only carry certain wines, you can't get just anything you are used to, or else you have to request a case and hope it comes this season.
At popular restaurants like Spagetti Factory, youi will hear "Jones, party of 18" or some other big number. I like that grandparents, a couple of their kids, spouses, and children all go out to eat but the number staggered me at first.
A lot of relatively small houses with 4 or 5 bedrooms and 2 dens. One den for the kids and the other for the adults - people go visiting with all their kids in tow.
I was surprised to see modest houses had sprinkler systems inground - but you really need them in this high desert.
No real problem for your pets with fleas, winters are too cold.
Many older houses have "swamp coolers," or evaporation coolers, instead of A/C. Very efficient and much cheaper than A/C. My summer electric bill is around $50/month for 2300 sq. ft. I like it good and cool and it works for me!
Many stores and restaurants are closed on Sunday b/c of the church thing, although this has improved somewhat in the past year or so.
Public transportation is really good - lots of bus routes in neighborhoods connecting to others going downtown (or anywhere else, for that matter).
It is DRY here - when the temperature is 100 degrees the humidity is usually 6 or 7%. I love it but some don't! In winter, the humidity can actually get to 65% or so.
LOTS of flowers are native and require very little watering. The city is full of roses right now.

If I think of other things that surprised me when I moved here, I'll post again! Good luck with your visit, or move.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-07-2008 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 01:52 PM

515 posts, read 2,324,077 times
Thanks for the tips! I was wondering what those evaporative coolers were - never heard of them. So it's sort of like central air in that it's not window units, but is centrally controlled?

Old 06-07-2008, 03:06 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,059,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
A lot of relatively small houses with 4 or 5 bedrooms and 2 dens. One den for the kids and the other for the adults - people go visiting with all their kids in tow.

You said a postfull with this one Belle.....modest houses can be found in certain areas like Sugar House, etc.....but try finding a one to two bed (even three are scarce) one to two bath home up the bench in Olympus Cove, Cottonwood Heights, etc......

Although the biggies do seem to be a relative bargain compared to other areas of the country, if one does not mind rolling around like a marble in a shoebox....much more space than some folks need.....

Old 06-07-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabon View Post
Thanks for the tips! I was wondering what those evaporative coolers were - never heard of them. So it's sort of like central air in that it's not window units, but is centrally controlled?
Mine has Hi/Low Cool and Hi/Low Vent fan. No temperature control but it is centrally located in the house. Mine is set in the roof but some are set in windows. I ahve been so cold on a low humidity day that I had to turn it off for a few hours. It would never work in areas with high humidity, just like heat pumps don't work here b/c it's too cold for them to be efficient. I hated my heat pump when I lived in Mississippi. Here, my heat comes out at floor level and my toes are toasty!

Old 06-09-2008, 12:12 AM

222 posts, read 877,889 times
We had an evaporative cooler in our other house. It was an older home and we had not upgraded to central air because of the low cost of running the evaporative cooler but it is not that enjoyable in the high heat of summer. It doesn't seem like your house ever cools down and you always feel sticky. This is when the heat is high 90 or 100, otherwise it is fine for the lower temperatures.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
We had an evaporative cooler in our other house. It was an older home and we had not upgraded to central air because of the low cost of running the evaporative cooler but it is not that enjoyable in the high heat of summer. It doesn't seem like your house ever cools down and you always feel sticky. This is when the heat is high 90 or 100, otherwise it is fine for the lower temperatures.
In very dry heat, like in SLC, they work fine. I occasionally turn on the ceiling fan, but only if it's over 100 and humid.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
In very dry heat, like in SLC, they work fine. I occasionally turn on the ceiling fan, but only if it's over 100 and humid.
Is it ever humid in SLC???
Today in NJ it's like 100 & humid. This is what I can't wait to get away from!

Old 06-09-2008, 07:05 PM

Smile Humidity in SLC

Quote:
Right now it is 77 degrees and 16% humidity per WeatherBug. I have noticed it get up around 65% humidity in the winter but summers are never that humid. People here (incl. me now LOL) complain when it gets around 35-40% humidity. Before I moved here, I would never have thought that 114 degrees and 6% humidity could feel sortta warm but not broiling. In the summer, if you stay in the shade you will be comfortable.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Right now it is 77 degrees and 16% humidity per WeatherBug. I have noticed it get up around 65% humidity in the winter but summers are never that humid. People here (incl. me now LOL) complain when it gets around 35-40% humidity. Before I moved here, I would never have thought that 114 degrees and 6% humidity could feel sortta warm but not broiling. In the summer, if you stay in the shade you will be comfortable.
OK, that's a relief. Interesting you say it's more humid in the winter, which is the complete opposite of here. When I was there in the winter, I didn't notice it being overly dry, so that makes sense... I don't mind the summer heat at all, but looking forward to the dryness. It makes my hair look better too!

Old 06-09-2008, 09:20 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,656 times
Quote:
Sometimes in late July and August it gets mildly humid when the summer monsson winds bring in moisture from the Gulf of California in Mexico. Nothing too oppressive, but noticible. Never lasts for more than a day or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area