Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 01:51 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,474,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ut new View Post
Just took a look around Murray Park and did not see any homeless, including up and down State Street there, and even the 7-11 which I was shocked. If that park were in LA there would be 100 to 200 homeless total in it (not safe for kids), with tents lined up, and people sharing needles, and garbage dumped on the grass, and some crazies naked, and police dealing with at least one of them. Also homeless in trains in LA are so bad they have to kick them off because they either smell up the whole train and get people sick, or they are threatening people beyond the normal threats that pepper spray can deal with. Some trains are now getting armed guards, like some post offices, 7-11's, and other places have gotten after the attacks.
Murray Park is nice. I go there occasionally to walk even though I don't live in Murray now. Did you notice the great views of the mountains at the back of the park? The small area of exercise stations is also a nice feature.

LA really sounds pretty bad. I hope things never deteriorate to that point here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 10:28 AM

234 posts, read 221,732 times
I found there is a homeless shelter near the west of Murray. Would this mean that the east part of Murray, or further, is desired for less homeless?

Old 06-16-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I found there is a homeless shelter near the west of Murray. Would this mean that the east part of Murray, or further, is desired for less homeless?
I wasn't aware that there is a homeless shelter in Murray. Generally speaking, the further east you go and the closer to the foothills you get, the fewer homeless people you'll see.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:51 PM

455 posts, read 389,407 times
Quote:
I found an interesting map of the character of the different areas of SLC, and thought I'd ask what people thought of the suburbs in the basin in particular (Murray, etc) and their character or feeling.
OMG love it, so funny but true. I used to live in the SSLC "refugee area" and would say that's not so much the case now, it's getting pretty young and hipster. We moved to "out of site out of mind" ogden because we decided SLC was starting to look like a s*&t hole city where the officials were more interested in building more high rises than cleaning up the streets and air.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:21 PM

Default Midvale

Further review of Murray shows that a lot of the trains run right up to Fashion Place, and so you'd need to be farther east to get away from them. But, the flood plain of Little Cottonwood Creek is a problem (I can't have any chance of flooding). See attachments.

So am looking at Midvale now, which you can get further east (away from the trains and the 15, and the shelter).
Attached Thumbnails
Character of suburbs-flooding.png   Character of suburbs-trains.jpg  

Old 06-24-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Further review of Murray shows that a lot of the trains run right up to Fashion Place, and so you'd need to be farther east to get away from them. But, the flood plain of Little Cottonwood Creek is a problem (I can't have any chance of flooding). See attachments.

So am looking at Midvale now, which you can get further east (away from the trains and the 15, and the shelter).
The TRAX blue line runs not only through Murray, but also through Midvale, Sandy and Draper (heading south). If you think that the noise is going to bother you, just don't move to a place too close to the light rail line. The (light rail) trains are actually not that noisy, since they run on electricity and they are not allowed to use their horns at crossings except in case of an imminent collision.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:11 PM

It's not the sound, it the crazies that use the train to get to far away areas for crime, then ride the train back. At least, that's how it works in West Los Angeles (known now as Skid Row West).

Old 07-02-2019, 04:01 PM

49 posts, read 102,554 times
Sandpiper apartments (more Holladay) are nice.
Hunter's Woods (IMO) is nice and has townhouse options
Vine Gate apartments are nice and a good location (also townhouse options)
I had friends who lived in Triton Heights and the apt/complex was nice. I don't love that it's right off a majorly busy street but that's me.
There are quite a few complexes in Murray on state closer to Fashion Place that i think are fine too.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:45 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,043,070 times
Quote:
It's not the sound, it the crazies that use the train to get to far away areas for crime, then ride the train back. At least, that's how it works in West Los Angeles (known now as Skid Row West).
Do you have any actual basis to believe that this is the case here?

Old 07-03-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lraien View Post
Sandpiper apartments (more Holladay) are nice.
Hunter's Woods (IMO) is nice and has townhouse options
Vine Gate apartments are nice and a good location (also townhouse options)
I had friends who lived in Triton Heights and the apt/complex was nice. I don't love that it's right off a majorly busy street but that's me.
There are quite a few complexes in Murray on state closer to Fashion Place that i think are fine too.
I would just add that if the OP does end up looking at apartments, that she read the reviews on apartmentratings.com first for any community she is considering. Appearances can be deceiving, and while there are many nice looking apartment communities here in the SLC area, there are also many that are poorly run or get low ratings from tenants for reasons such as car break-ins, drug activity in the parking lots, poor maintenance, etc. It's really important to check the ratings and what residents have to say about an apartment and not just go by how it looks or what it costs. (I did not check the reviews for any of the apartments mentioned by Lraien)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area