Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2008, 10:17 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,179,319 times

Advertisements

Alter on McCain's "Character" | Newsweek Voices - Jonathan Alter | Newsweek.com
There's a big difference between the two. "Character" connotes moral courage and fortitude, which McCain once possessed but now seems to have misplaced. By contrast, "a character" is merely a person with an instinct for eccentric self-drama that can be amusing or disturbing depending on the circumstances.
This McCain commits alarming gaffes (insisting that he hadn't read Henry Paulson's bailout plan when it was only three pages long); engages in rash scapegoating (calling for the chairman of the SEC to be fired); launches almost comically hypocritical attack ads and wraps himself in "Country First" while playing every political angle, like idly threatening to skip the Mississippi debate.
I wasn't shocked to learn from a friend of Paulson's, who didn't want to risk his friendship by being identified, that Paulson thinks Obama is much more impressive than McCain in their private talks. (Not that Paulson is as much of an authority on all things financial as he thinks he is.) And it's hardly surprising that the country's last remaining financial grown-ups, Paul Volcker and Warren Buffett, are strongly pro-Obama.

Of course, McCain doesn't much care about the respectable opinions of fuddy-duddys (unless they're Henry Kissinger).

"I'm Luke Skywalker getting out of the Death Star!" he said in 2000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 10:19 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,116,262 times
McCain has lost whatever trace of ethic, decency, and honor he once possessed.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:29 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,993,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
McCain has lost whatever trace of ethic, decency, and honor he once possessed.
I totally agree. I actually lost soooo much respect with him after he picked Palin as his running mate.

Then the whole cancellation of the debates was what I believe was a political stunt really pushed me over the edge into really believing he's just another politician with no character at all. I don't even think he ever was a character to begin with- his personality has always been a big snooze. Him marketing his POW experience for political gain is pretty pathetic also.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:30 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,063,691 times
Is grandpa a man of character or a character. If you are now a character and use to be a man of character or you now a characteristic has been? Did McCain lose his soul when out of desparation he bought in Steve Schmidt and the other Rove clones?

Old 09-28-2008, 10:37 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,534,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Is grandpa a man of character or a character. If you are now a character and use to be a man of character or you now a characteristic has been? Did McCain lose his soul when out of desparation he bought in Steve Schmidt and the other Rove clones?
I don't know what has occurred w/ McCain. The guy I watched for the past 20 plus years was witty - yes, ascerbic wit at times . . . and he was often a rogue w/in his own party . . . but he also knew how to cross party lines and be bipartisan . . .

These days . .. I dunno. He just seems like a caricature of himself, LOL. I guess he has been told to "reign it in" w/ the humor. He seems grumpy, prickly and old. Just kinda - recycled. A second hand version of what he used to be. Of course, I think the media has helped push that worn out image . . . but something fundamental seems to have been lost w/ McCain's public persona. Not sure what it is, but I find it perplexing.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:36 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,963,025 times
Tough question--can I use my phone-a-friend option?

Old 09-28-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Tough question--can I use my phone-a-friend option?
OK, my phone-a-friend and I agree. We'll pick "just--a character!"

Old 09-28-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Alter on McCain's "Character" | Newsweek Voices - Jonathan Alter | Newsweek.com"I'm Luke Skywalker getting out of the Death Star!" he said in 2000. [/indent]
LOL, I think that's still how he sees himself...

Great article, BTW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections