Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2013, 01:39 AM

762 posts, read 2,118,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingonagain777 View Post
I relocated back to Boulder as I was so sick last year from the inversion.
How do you know you were sick from the inversion and not something else, environmental or otherwise? Just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I'm sorry Zionide but you DON"T have to be a scientist to see with your own eyes what you KNOW without being told the scientific facts. Just wait till every competent reporting organization this winter dubs us some of the worst air in the country (worse than L.A by quite a margin). Argue all you want about the scientific facts as I'm pretty tired of hearing all other obvious evidence referred to as "anecdotal" and not mattering because a scientific reporting "agency" had to say this or that about it. As for the effects of Rio Tinto's antics say what you will. It's REAL and it's THERE. Unless of course you have no nose nor eyes, then I suppose you could ignore it. So enjoy your dissertation and all of it's valid evidence. I'll stick with the obvious as well
Dcisive: Kind of like those of us whose personal experience demonstrates that South Salt Lake, Glendale, and Kearns are incredibly safe areas, but, your fancy "crime data" says otherwise?
I KNOW, without being told the scientific facts, that Kearns is very safe. I lived there for over 20 years. It's OBVIOUS evidence to me so, by your standards here, that should be just as good and valid as any crime stat you can provide.

And I'm confused about who you trust when it comes to air quality. Given that "every competent reporting organization" (which you apparently trust) will get its information from a "scientific 'reporting' agency" (which you seem to not), how do you even know what's accurate? Your eyes can't even see the particulate matter that's harmful to your health in the long-term (small enough to reach lung cilia).

I'm not saying we won't have terrible air days, or that Rio Tinto doesn't contribute a good chunk of the air pollution in the valley (17% from a single source is a lot!). But I'm saying that all the gnashing of teeth about nobody caring and everybody being oblivious with their "heads in the sand" is utter alarmist bulls**t. We all KNOW it's a problem, and we're trying to come up with a viable solution. But we can't just have Rio Tinto shut down tomorrow, any more than we can all just suddenly stop driving tomorrow (because, you know, I like having electricity in my home, and we need copper for that).

Old 09-14-2013, 09:12 PM

479 posts, read 1,015,398 times
New air regs | The Salt Lake Tribune

Old 09-23-2013, 09:13 AM

Respro® Bulletin Board | External wear for internal protection.

Respromask article on pollution. These masks are beneficial for red alert days. They have them for children as well as adults!

Respro® Products | Respro® Bulletin Board

Old 09-26-2013, 12:58 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
My View: Wow, Utah is in the Top 4 | Deseret News

Old 09-26-2013, 07:49 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
Nice article. Hard to stick your head in the sand on that one, although I'm sure some WILL

Old 09-26-2013, 08:22 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times
Quote:
Nice article. Hard to stick your head in the sand on that one, although I'm sure some WILL
Yes indeed. And ironically NYC was recently ranked 4th best air quality for a major city. Bloomberg's comments were an interesting contrast to Gov Herbert's gobbledygook (paraphrasing here from memory): "It's simple, there's no new science here. If you don't put as much junk in the air it gets better." Wow! What an idea!

Old 09-28-2013, 05:03 AM

3,097 posts, read 2,223,004 times
Quote:
Nice article, discouraging comments for the most part.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:22 AM

I am hopeful that the media attention and the focus this winter on SLC Valley's inversion will be the catalyst to making the necessary changes to restore and maintain the majestic beauty that Utah has to offer! National attention is the key!! It has an impact on everyone!

Bringing this awareness to the Nation is the 'tip of the iceberg' for changes to come:

Announcing Erin Brockovich on EnviroNews California! | EnviroNews

Old 09-28-2013, 06:06 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingonagain777 View Post
I am hopeful that the media attention and the focus this winter on SLC Valley's inversion will be the catalyst to making the necessary changes to restore and maintain the majestic beauty that Utah has to offer! National attention is the key!!
How do you figure that national attention is the key to a very local problem? With local solutions required of the local population and an altered mindset from the local politicians?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area