Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2013, 05:20 PM

835 posts, read 2,078,684 times

Advertisements

Bobby, my sweet hubby is from Los Angeles. While the inversions can be nasty, he feels that it is nowhere close to how bad the smog is in Los Angeles.
We have been in Utah for 20 years and the greater SL Valley since 08. Last January had many bad days but that was the only time that he ever commented on smog since we moved down here. If we get a good snowy season, the storms scrub it out of the valley so I am jpeful for great snow for many, many reasons..

Old 09-11-2013, 06:47 PM

479 posts, read 1,016,195 times
I relocated back to Boulder as I was so sick last year from the inversion. I am originally from Santa Barbara and would travel to Los Angeles frequently and never had the illness from being in LA that I did in the SLC Valley. I don't think the air quality in the SLC Valley is better than LA during the Inversions.

Some of the populace not having illness during the inversions doesn't mean that it's not dangerous. I would suffice to say that the health effects will be later in life for those who have lived in the Valley in the near future if it doesn't change. It's scientifically proven that it's taxing on one's health and red alerts should be taken serious. I would by no means advocate to someone moving to the area that it's healthy to live in the Valley.

The local government should be taking this a lot more serious and strive to make the changes necessary to help the environment sustain a healthy quality of life. It shouldn't take a catastrophic event to make the logical move to better the area. It would seem logical to follow the examples of cities who have made the changes and have experienced results such as Denver and Los Angeles. It's proven that even in a Valley with inversions you can clear the air of chemical toxicity. Why would anyone argue or advocate differently? Doesn't make any sense to me. Why argue that anything with less than clean air is okay because we don't see the effect on our own health?????

Old 09-11-2013, 09:47 PM

Ok Movingon, I am not sure whom you think is arguing that anyone, anywhere, is against clean air? You keep piping up with lots of negative stuff about the SL Valley but why? You have moved on to what you feel is a a better place for you so, why do you choose to keep beating the drum about the awfulness of your past place of residence?
A large amount of us that live here are doing what we can to help the air situation , what are you doing to help it?
We all have different reasons to live where we are and you decided that the Boulder area fits your needs more so than Salt Lake did. Many of us enjoy Salt Lake and all it has to offer and your constant bashing is becoming bothersome and boring.
We live here, we know about the inversions, we know about the Greatest Snow on Earth, we know that outdoor recreation opportunities are less than 5 minutes away. We know there is work to be done about air pollution. I do not know of any community that isn't struggling with a problem of some sort, ours happens to be air pollution and I would be that Boulder has issues too.
By the way, my husband left Los Angeles due to the air pollution and the effect it had on his health. He has not had one problem with allergies, asthma and sinus infections since landing in Utah...

Old 09-11-2013, 10:02 PM

I will continue to stay active in the fight for the betterment of Utah's air quality. I was a resident of St. George for 3 years in the early 2000's and again is the SLC Valley area. I have many friends and connections within the Valley. I believe Utah to be one of the most beautiful but unappreciated States. So no....I am not going away and I am not trying to be negative. Just spreading the word. Many have issues with the pollution in SLC and are trying to get the word out and take a stand. The more that are aware the more likely to bring about a much needed change. I am glad the nation is watching and I am sure this winter the SLC Valley will get a lot more attention. Moving forward to many changes for Utah. I started this topic. I am not going anywhere!

Old 09-12-2013, 09:46 AM

229 posts, read 566,051 times
movingonagain777, thank you, I appreciate your effort. I started hearing the term inversion here and there and thought nothing of it, or perhaps it just meant cold weather. But after learning about it, at least I know what I am getting into and it won't be a nasty surprise when it happens. And I'll be prepared for it as best as possible when/if I move there.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:02 AM

Environmental groups call on Utah governor to shut down Stericycle | FOX13Now.com

Old 09-12-2013, 11:10 AM

19 posts, read 51,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas-to-? View Post
Bobby, I had asthma pretty bad when I was much younger, pretty much grown out of it now for the most part. I'm planning on moving somewhere in Utah County, but I also plan on investing in whatever it takes to clean the air inside my house so when these inversions start happening, at least my home will be safer. Did you hear about this?

New Study Shows Long-Lasting Treatment for Asthma Sufferers | Video - ABC News
I did not hear about, but I just watched the video and what an awesome breakthrough for asthma sufferers. Fortunately, our case with asthma is nowhere near the severity of those patients, however, I do have a few family members who suffer from asthma pretty badly, so I will definitely pass this video on. Thanks a lot for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibarbie View Post
Bobby, my sweet hubby is from Los Angeles. While the inversions can be nasty, he feels that it is nowhere close to how bad the smog is in Los Angeles.
We have been in Utah for 20 years and the greater SL Valley since 08. Last January had many bad days but that was the only time that he ever commented on smog since we moved down here. If we get a good snowy season, the storms scrub it out of the valley so I am jpeful for great snow for many, many reasons..
That's actually pretty relieving, thank you. Do you, or your husband in particular, feel that it's worse downtown more so than say, Draper or Sandy? I only ask because I think that may be the area we are going to move to.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:03 PM

53 posts, read 144,928 times
After last Winter I'm thinking of getting some sort of mask for when I go outdoors (I sold my car and walk and take transit everyday). Has anyone else purchased such a thing for the inversion?

Old 09-13-2013, 08:34 AM

3,105 posts, read 2,237,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingonagain777 View Post
I will continue to stay active in the fight for the betterment of Utah's air quality. ... I am not going anywhere!
I, for one, welcome that. I appreciate the various links and other information you provide and find them considerably more useful as compared to defensiveness about this issue. As SLC resident, I would rather look at the mirror - warts and all - than bury my head in the sand, to borrow the expression from earlier in the thread.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:34 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inversion_(meteorology)
Here is a little refresher on what an inversion is. What makes Salt Lake more susceptible than some other places is the topography. Same problem occurs in the Heber Valley and Snyderville Basin too.
I am still beating the drum for California emmissions standards in the entire state of Utah, not just the Wasatch Front as an easy place to start.
Movingon, I hope you and your family are safe. As a Meteorologist, I am in awe of what is happening in your community from a scientific standpoint but saddened at the amount of destruction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area