Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2008, 03:02 PM

73 posts, read 318,888 times

Advertisements

I know there are a lot of beach posts up right now, but...

I'm planning to take a day trip to the beach with my nephew this upcoming weekend. The kid loves to dig his heart out in the sand. Splashing around would be nice, too, if the water's not too cold (but no actual swimming). We're in the Salem area. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 03:06 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Krystle,
We ususally head to Lincoln City to the D River. There is a river channel that cuts through the beach so the water is warmer and kids can wade and swim in it. (2 feet deepish or so). Anyway it's a large beach and the river channel makes it totally worth it.

If you are there when tide comes in, bring a boogie board and the kids "ride" the waves on river on the beach.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:45 PM

Hey Silverfall,

Thanks so much--that sounds fantastic! I'll look into it.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:14 PM

30 posts, read 211,787 times
We usually head over there as well, but drive almost to Newport and go to Agate beach, there is a huge, long beach there and lots of kids digging all the time. Not so much warm water, tho, so D River might be better!

Old 07-17-2008, 02:00 PM

How much of a longer drive is it to get to Agate beach? That sounds like a great place.

Also, I'm looking at the 10 day forecast for Lincoln City, and it's showing everything in the 60s. In August the averages seem to hover in the low 70s. Should I be prepared for a chilly day at the beach?

Old 07-17-2008, 02:17 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
You should always bring sweatshirts and jeans just in case.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
You should always bring sweatshirts and jeans just in case.
Yeah! Good advice. I went today and boy, was it chilly with the wind! But there were some really spectacular kites--giant, rotating ones; parachute-like ones, pulling people off the ground or across the water; ones that sounded like they had motors...For my nephew, there were lots of rocks about 3-4 feet down that prevented him from digging to the other side of the world, but he had fun digging us a trench to protect us from the wind.

Anyway, I'd like to check out Agate Beach next. It seems it's about 30 minutes further if we head down to Corvallis then head west. It'd be nice to actually find some agates, maybe! And I'd like to check out the aquarium, too. Any other suggestions?

Old 07-21-2008, 01:34 PM

30 posts, read 211,787 times
ALWAYS bring extra jeans and coat, socks and shoes to the beach. Even if it is nice, it can change very quickly. Watch the news reports, they are *usually* pretty accurate about beach weather forcasts. If it is REALLY hot in the valley, it will be very nice on the beach *usually*. Have fun! Agate beach is just barely north of Newport, you are either just within or just outside the city limits, as I remember. About 20 minutes south of Lincoln City. And you can come back thru Corvallis if you want, too. A very different drive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem