Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 04:37 PM

5 posts, read 18,885 times

Advertisements

Can you help??
Hello my name is Nicole and I am thinking about relocating to Salem, OR
I have a friend living in the area and her photos and description of the region really caught my interest. I asked her about the diversity of the area and she said it was diverse but whenever someone who is open-minded is asked that question you can get an inaccurate account.

More specifically I am an African-american who is wondering from anyone who may live or known about Salem, OR -How diverse is the area? Have there been any known problems or intolerance issues there?

I do plan to make a visit near October but I just wanted to get some feedback from different people who have lived there or have visited there.

I was attracted to the climate and the fact that atleast in the area where she resides there isn't a lot of "city" I personally enjoy more underdeveloped areas where nature can be appreciated. If you could give me any more information that woud be greatly appreciated
Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 04:56 PM

73 posts, read 319,217 times
I'm multi-cultural and I would say that ethnic diversity is severely lacking up here in Oregon. That being said, Oregon has less diversity than, say, the deep south or Texas, but I'd choose living in OR over living in either of those places any day.

The only racism I've noticed up here is against Mexicans--there's a pretty solid divide between Mexicans and non-Mexicans. The few black people I have seen (and I say black and not African-American because some of them are from the Caribbean) don't garner the dirty looks I've seen them get on the East coast--then again, the black people up here don't usually dress and act like the black people on the East coast typically do.

I'm sure it has a lot to do with how you present yourself, and I think that no matter what, you might have a hard time building a social network in Salem if you don't have a family, since this is a very family-oriented city. But I don't think you'll experience the kind of intolerance that's a problem in other parts of the country. The most conservative Oregonians seem rather libertarian to me, like "Just let me go about my business, and don't make me pay your way" kind of thing. Nothing implying superiority in any way.

More importantly, are you confident in your ability to find a job here?

Old 06-12-2008, 05:00 PM

15,584 posts, read 40,460,388 times
Coming from the Chicago area, Oregon and Salem are NOT diverse. From an Oregon perspective, Salem is diverse. So I guess it depends.

I can tell you that if you look at the census stats, Salem has about a 1-2% African-American population. Most of our ethnic diversity comes from the Hispanic and Asian populations.

Most of the racial intolerance issues I hear about and that are talked about on this forum are directed toward Hispanics. Since it is one of the larger ethnic groups in Oregon, they tend to be the target for intolerance.

You do read occasionally in the paper about racial issues, but not a lot. For the most part Oregonians tend to be "to each his own" kinda folks. I have two good friends that are couples in mixed race marriages and they haven't had any issues here.

There are racists everywhere, but I don't think we have more than the norm.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:55 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,641,948 times
Nicole, whether you choose to visit or relocate to Salem, I think you'll find the area to be fairly relaxed, friendly, and accepting. If you have a chance, you should visit the Oregon Gardens (I think that's what it's called). Although it's not exactly like seeing nature in the wilds (it's a botanical display), it displays a large variety of plants that are typically found in Oregon.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:53 PM

Wow
That was an awesome resonse, Thanks! I understand completely what you have said.

Well most importantly .....I am working on that! The job thing that is!
I am confident in my abilities but yes if you would like to elaborate on working conditions then that would be so much more helpful.

I currently work for a well known Bank but as far as I can tell they have not expanded to the region at this time. However my work history is sound so I wasn't really anticipating a problem.

How about colleges/universities continuin education is something I am also considering for the future.

Thanks again NightBazaar you have been very helpful

Old 06-13-2008, 06:17 PM

Yeah you guys have been great.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:57 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,641,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpianic View Post

How about colleges/universities continuin education is something I am also considering for the future.

There is a college in Salem although I'm not that familiar with it. I think it's more business oriented. It seems to have a good reputation though. South a bit from Salem is Oregon State University in Corvallis. And even further south in Eugene is the University of Oregon.

OSU is noted as an agricultural college, but has good studies in science, computer science, and business. OSU has a wide variety of people from all over the world. U of O is more of a liberal arts college but also has a good reputation.

Many counties in the Willamette Valley have community colleges for various kinds of continuing and adult education. It depends on what kind of education you're talking about though.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:02 PM

15,584 posts, read 40,460,388 times
Salem has Willamette University which is a private university as well as Corban College. We also have Chemekta Community College.

In Monmouth which is an easy commute is Western Oregon University (WOU).

Old 06-14-2008, 01:01 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,940,062 times
If, as a person of color, you are remotely concerned about the issue of diversity in a place like Salem it is quite likely you will be happier elsewhere. On the other hand, if one is willing to take the road less traveled, the rewards can often be worth the risks. I've met black people going it alone in places like Ogden, UT; Clearview, IA; Laramie, WY and Elkins, NH. It's not the easiest thing being the only example of your kind but sometimes its worth it for some intrinsic in that particular area. But not Salem. Sorry, there just isn't enough of anything truly unique there to be worth the inevitable confrontations with intolerant people. At least in a city like Portland or any of its suburbs you have PDX itself and its many attractions to bolster your spirits when humanity fails you. Krystle is right, however, Salem is a lonely town for the unconnected. Not just Salem I think,I am observing the same dynamic in Hillsboro, Gresham and Troutdale where contacts center around familial and group ties. This luckily does not bother me. Personally I think too much is made of diversity. PDX has plenty of diversity. Not that it does me a bit of good, the only thing I share with 97% of the other people who look like me in PDX is pigment. I truly think if pictures and descriptions of Salem spark some interest, Scorpianic then PDX will actually fan a flame but if you said Corvallis or Eugene I would still say, go for it but by your own admission, having a job is a necessity for you and a bigger venue like PDX metro gives you way more options on that score.

H

Old 06-16-2008, 01:08 AM

5 posts, read 55,303 times
Salem is very diverse! There are white people with blue eyes and white people with brown eyes. Some of the white people's hair is different colors as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem