Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2010, 08:22 PM

49 posts, read 189,189 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to the Sac area and want to find some great pocket areas in Sac, citrus heights, Roseville, or carmichael..Please help me find a wonderful place to live..I like older homes..needs to be a safe area for me since I am a single girl..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 09:42 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,896,208 times
This is a map of the City of Sacramento. The Sacramento River meanders west of I-5 creating a bigger neighborhood call is labeled the Pocket Area/Greenhaven and just a little north of the Pocket Area adjacent to South Land Park is a neighborhood that is referred to as the Little Pocket Area. So if you were trying to figure out where either of the Pocket neighborhoods were, look on the map below.

http://maps.cityofsacramento.org/pdf...20streetsE.pdf

If you are trying to figure out where the communities in the Sacramento region are, look here.

http://www.saccounty.net/coswcms/gro...sac_003580.pdf

Lastly here is a map of neighborhoods in Arden Arcade. If you see a craigslist classified map talking about Sierra Oaks or Arden Park and are trying to figure out where they are look here.

http://www.communities.saccounty.net/arden-arcade/docs/survey/map.pdf (broken link)

Do you know where you are going to be working? The communities you mentioned are pretty far apart. If you were working in Roseville or Folsom, you probably have better options than either of the Pocket neighborhoods.

While Roseville is an old railroad town, most of the growth and most of the housing stock in Roseville is from the past 25 years. Most of the growth in the Pocket area is post 1960 and most of the growth in the little Pocket Area is 1950-1960's. Carmichael and Citrus Heights were built out mostly from 1960 to about 1980.

Do you have any pets? Generally people with dogs like to have yards and want houses. Otherwise, an apartment might work.

If you were working downtown and looking for an older house, you might look at East Sac, Land Park or Curtis Park. If you were looking for an older apartment, you could add midtown to that list. If you were working out in Roseville, you can find older homes closer to the historic downtown in Roseville. If you were working in Folsom, you might look at either the older historic part of Folsom or Fair Oaks Village.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:15 AM

49 posts, read 189,189 times
I will be working in a hospital(not sure which one yet) as a cardiac sonographer..I will need a house because I have 3 dogs..I most likely will rent first to get to know the areas and will buy eventually..I live in Arizona, so all this information is very helpful!!! Thankyou!!!

Old 01-31-2010, 10:52 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Default where are the pocket areas

Just below the waistband and in the nether region of your jeans!

Old 01-31-2010, 11:31 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,896,208 times
Yamarranaz

There are hospitals and medical offices all over the region. When you figure out where you will actually be working, then come back again for more specific advice on which neighborhoods to look at. The region sprawls enough where your preferred location to live is going to vary by where you work.

Good luck with the job search.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:57 AM

491 posts, read 1,261,989 times

d deathrage,

What do you think about College/Glen? Specifically, apts/houses to rent? Is is safe? Can you recommend some complexes or specific areas within College/Glen that are better than others? Safety would be a primary concern for me.

Thanks.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:01 AM

2 posts, read 14,524 times
I would cancel carmichael from your options. Carmichael is patrolled primarily by the sheriff's dept. As of a few months ago about 280+ officers were laid off. I live around Manzanita & Winding Way. I have seen crime rise so much since then. The amount of graffiti popping up on Manzanita is ridiculous. Someone tried breaking into my apt while I was on vacation, the screen on a window was pryed out, leaving tool mark impressions in the frame but they must have not been able to get my window open. Also someone was caught peeking in someone doorwall in my complex. Sure crime can exist anywhere, but I would choose Roseville or Rocklin over Carmichael or Citrus Hts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento