Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 11:07 PM

26 posts, read 194,205 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are going to spend some time in Placerville in January to help us decide if we want to move there. I'd like some opinions of what to see while we're there. We have small children, and will be looking to buy a house on at least 5 acres. I want to see some local spots, places to eat, everyday shopping, and some neighborhoods/areas that are nice to buy in. Can anyone direct me to a certain part of the city?
And, if you live here--does it feel like a small town? Are you happy there? We don't like the traffic, busy-ness and crowds of where we live, but we don't want to live where there aren't any grocery stores or cable TV either!
One more question-is it possible to get Comcast Cable if you have a house on a large lot? Is satellite TV necessary if you're not on a suburban street, or does it depend on the house and the lot?
Anything's helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 09:08 AM

599 posts, read 1,656,788 times
Sweetie Pie's for breakfast, Apple Hill and the Gorge (great and beautiful scenery)

Old 10-31-2009, 11:21 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,750,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwatersunwind View Post
We don't like the traffic
You probably won't like US Hwy 50 that goes through the middle of town - usually full of cars going to and from Lake Tahoe.

As to what to see, walk around the old downtown area (near the bell tower). Lots of old buildings with nice shops and restaurants .

Old 11-01-2009, 08:56 AM

815 posts, read 2,705,938 times
Highway 50 is a nightmare right now!
Especially with all the construction going on in nearby El Dorado Hills.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:14 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,361,013 times
Even if the Cable company runs past your home, I think you'll like either of the two satellite TV options you have better. Just guessing, but I'm pretty sure you wont find a 5 acre parcel very near to downtown P'ville.

I'd grab a local RE agent and have them give you the $5.00 tour of town. Local knowledge is a wonderful thing and if a picture is worth a thousand words, then a guided tour by a local is worth a thousand bucks.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:22 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have only lived in suburbs and cities my entire life, I don't know anything about buying larger lots and living "on the outskirts", although I have wanted to do this for some time. I wonder if an agent would even want to take us on a tour, knowing we won't be ready to buy for 3-5 years. At this point, we're still looking into where we might want to live (and never move again!) It would sure beat wandering around the town and the homes with a map, though.
We're planning a trip in January, and maybe again in the summer, just to see it in both extremes.
Can anyone tell me what "Somerset" is? Is that a suburb? Unincorporated area? I can't find it on City-Data but some homes are listed there.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:06 AM

323 posts, read 1,011,034 times
You can pretty much see the town in three hours. There's the main old street with some shops and a few bars. I always liked the Buttercup Pantry and the cheesy potato soup, but then again I was 5. There's a modern part with parking lots and chain stores, and the rest of the town is typical suburb neighborhoods. Not really sure you can find 5 acres too easily in city limits, but if you are out further I'm sure you can. If you don't like traffic it probably isn't the best choice since a major interstate runs through the heart of the town and it's a parking lot most of time, but they are building some overpasses.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:41 AM

I wonder how much progress will be made in a few years. I imagine normal commute times are the worst headed to Sac, and the traffic to SLT is seasonally bad?
Do you guys get bad fires up there?
And yes, we want to live outside of town.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:55 AM

70 posts, read 197,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwatersunwind View Post
My husband and I are going to spend some time in Placerville in January to help us decide if we want to move there. I'd like some opinions of what to see while we're there. We have small children, and will be looking to buy a house on at least 5 acres. I want to see some local spots, places to eat, everyday shopping, and some neighborhoods/areas that are nice to buy in. Can anyone direct me to a certain part of the city?
And, if you live here--does it feel like a small town? Are you happy there? We don't like the traffic, busy-ness and crowds of where we live, but we don't want to live where there aren't any grocery stores or cable TV either!
One more question-is it possible to get Comcast Cable if you have a house on a large lot? Is satellite TV necessary if you're not on a suburban street, or does it depend on the house and the lot?
Anything's helpful. Thanks!
First off, we are barely a city..small town we are..comcast some places..traffic barely..cept for fri aft to tahoe.Depends on where you are. I bought a house 2 yrs ago from a realtor Russ Brett at era realty on placerville drive , he was great.Stay close to gold hill if you can afford it.
Eat..heyday cafe ..cascada..sweetie pie ..Shilla Japanese on rt 50 to tahoe but close to pville.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:40 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,750,703 times
Look into Diamond Springs just south of Placerville on Hwy 49.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento