Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 04:49 PM

11 posts, read 50,312 times

Advertisements

Trying to finally pull the trigger in the next couple months on a new home. I would like to live in midtown or land park but these areas are out of my budget. I want to spend less than $225,000 and do not want a condo. i am having a hard time deciding whether to mode to Natomas (preferably west of I5 and south of HWY 80) or move to some of the nicer areas in West Sacramento (State Streets or Southport). I am early 30s unmarried and like to spend time downtown/midtown. I commute to Rancho Cordova and definately believe that West Sacramento has s shorter commute time.

PLease provide me with any suggestions that can help me make up my mind. I believe that i am driving me realator crazy with my indecisiveness. thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 01:15 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,894,224 times
If I was to choose between Southport in West Sac or any part of Natomas South of 80, I would go with Southport. I would be very reluctant to live in any part of Natomas south of 80. I probably take Southport over State Streets.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:44 PM

323 posts, read 1,008,176 times
I lived in the State Street's for a couple years, on Maryland to be exact. It’s a cool, little working class neighborhood with nice parks and people. Good ethnic food within walking distance. I would recommend it over Southport because you are closer to Midtown Sac. Downtown is only a 10 min. bike ride, and midtown not far beyond that. If you want to drive it’s a quick jump over the river on the freeway and you are there. You still have the Southport Nugget close by, and the new Streets of London is a 15 min. stumble home. So it’s the best of all worlds really, new stuff to the south, the older part of town to the north and Midtown close by.

Looking ahead, Street Cars are going in in a few years, which will make going back and forth even better. You have the West Sac riverfront developing(you can walk to Rivercats game in a half hour or take the street car when it’s in.)

Keep in mind that the houses are smaller and older than Southport, but they usually have a lot of charm, and you’ll get more bang for the buck.

Don’t move to Natomas.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:59 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
The streetcars are a few years out, but a line to Southport will be a few years beyond that. Personally I hope they use the existing Sacramento Northern right-of-way (the train tracks that run parallel to Jefferson) for a streetcar extension.

There is also talk of a bridge from 15th Street to Broadway, making commuting easier. But that is going to be at the very least a few years out. But even in the short term, West Sacramento is seeing some neat things happening. It's a small town with a big-city mayor.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:49 PM

I think things could get worse before they get better. The most recent UOP forecast is saying that the region will have double digit unemployment through 2011.

http://forecast.pacific.edu/cametrof...CA%20Metro.pdf

When the economy is weak, marginal neighborhoods can go downhill pretty rapidly. This is why local governments are creating neighborhood stabilization programs like this. You can have drug dealers and hookers moving into foreclosed homes.

Neighborhood Stabilization Program (http://www.shra.org/Content/Housing/Foreclosure/NSP.htm - broken link)

Historically there has prostitution on West Capitol Blvd and right now there is a gang injunction for parts of West Sac. Google gang injuction and west Sac for more details.

Judge reinstates anti-gang injunction against West Sac's Broderick Boys - Sacramento News - Local and Breaking Sacramento News | Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/963325.html - broken link)

If I was going to buy in West Sac I would probably be looking more at Southport than anything else because its the furtherest away from the areas covered by the gang injunction. The State Streets neighborhood would act like a buffer neighborhood.

It would be good for the area if West Sac would gentrify like it was during the housing boom. But right now, I could see neighborhoods in West Sac going either way.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:05 PM

11 posts, read 50,312 times
thanks you for all the comments. I agree that i do like Natomas very much, but it is close to freeways and downtown. I have made my decision to wait until something comes up on the market in West Sac than to settle for something in Natomas. thanks

Old 04-10-2009, 05:20 PM

Goodluck with the move!

Old 04-11-2009, 12:33 AM

28 posts, read 190,031 times
Have you considered something close to the Lighthouse Golf course? That area IMO may undergo the biggest change as development increases next to the river plus it's minutes to downtown.

The area that's south of 80, west of I-5 is called Willowcreek. That neighborhood is nicer than Natomas, has a slightly higher price, but will probably hold it's value better than Natomas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento