Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2012, 04:36 PM

3 posts, read 9,622 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've been looking to purchase a home in the very near future.
I live in Davis and commute to Vacaville for work.
I have been living in Davis for the past 7 years and I know nothing about other cities besides Davis.
I love Davis but its little too expensive for me. I'm targeting for maybe 230k or below.

I have considered, woodland, dixon, west sac, and natomas.
West sac and natomas are kind of far but houses were cheaper.

From what I know woodland and notomas seems like the better choices but then again I don't know much about those areas.

Oh and I don't want to live in vacaville.

Any tips would be appreciated!
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 11:19 AM

762 posts, read 2,031,272 times
Not Natomas in my opinion. West Sac or Dixon have a lot to offer (depending on your style) or Woodland is a practical choice. Check for more details on areas to avoid, though, as Woodland has it's bad areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungisgo View Post
Hello,

I have been living in Davis for the past 7 years and I know nothing about other cities besides Davis.
I love Davis but its little too expensive for me. I'm targeting for maybe 230k or below.

From what I know woodland and notomas seems like the better choices but then again I don't know much about those areas.

Thank you

Old 04-17-2012, 02:13 PM

3 posts, read 9,622 times
Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it!
West sac just seems like a bad commute. I was thinking about Dixon as well but I'm not sure what you mean by it has a lot to offer. For woodland I was thinking about south east area.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:46 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
What's the milage for your options?
Is price your only consideration? Nothing else?
I'd suggest you take a drive and visit the various neighborhoods you mentioned. If you think west sac is far, consider that natomas is further north. I agree if price is your only criteria, check Dixon, Woodland, and possibly Fairfield.

IMO, I don't care how cheap the housing is, if the commute sucks..it's not worth it. Rent until you get a different job in a different city.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:01 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Just found this idea on another topic & I thought of you:

Quote:
You should look into an area near Fairfield called Cordelia. Weather's much better than Sac, it's safe, and you'll be able to find something in your price range.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/california/1549861-trying-decide-between-sacramento-county-solano.html

Old 04-20-2012, 11:54 AM

41 posts, read 122,617 times
Default If you need to look for homes let me know

Quote:
Hello,

Thank you
I can help you decide thru my experience of these areas. Looks like best bet Woodland or Dixon

Old 06-16-2012, 02:14 PM

306 posts, read 759,004 times
Quote:
Hello,

Thank you
I'm a Vacaville substitute teacher and I'd say DIXON. If you're already commuting from Davis to Vacaville then you probably already spend all your time in Dixon anyway. Unless you make way more than a public school substitute teacher and can afford to buy anything in Davis. If unlike me, one part for your car set you back a month's salary (a distributor rotor).

Old 06-16-2012, 02:19 PM

306 posts, read 759,004 times
Quote:
Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it!
West sac just seems like a bad commute. I was thinking about Dixon as well but I'm not sure what you mean by it has a lot to offer. For woodland I was thinking about south east area.
West Sac or anything east of it IS a bad commute. You have the Yolo Causeway to deal with and the fact that the 80 is the only thing that goes over it, no back roads to get around the gridlock the way there are back roads into Vacaville from Dixon. I know, I also have to Sub in Sacramento County and the McClellan area to make ends meet.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:40 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,801,961 times
Of those four areas, Dixon is probably your best bet. Least onerous commute, least seedy areas.

But why is Vacaville that bad? (It has its run down areas, but it strikes me as a bigger Dixon).

Old 06-18-2012, 07:52 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,308,084 times
Have you considered Winters? Winters has some charm, your commute would be along the 505 instead of 80 which should mean less traffic and with the exception of Dixon, it should be closer than any of the other areas you were considering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento