Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 09:42 AM

2 posts, read 9,915 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I currently live in San Jose and have two kids 7 and 3 years old.
My older one has Autism and due to high bayarea cost, I want to move to either Elk Grove or Natomas. Why? because I can afford a house easily and still pay for my son's out of pocket therapies. Is Elk Grove really that dangerous? or Natomas? Out of the two? which one is better as far as school district is concerned and "quality of people" ? in terms of a safe area? I travel for work and of course want to make sure that my family will remain safe. Again, my main concern is schools and safety. Any advise would be highly appreciated. Thanks, Ed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 10:04 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,705,340 times
On school distrcit alone I'd pick Elk Grove

My some has Asperger's Syndrome (on the Autism spectrum) and I'm liking the San Juan Sschool District for his special needs

Old 02-20-2009, 02:31 PM

406 posts, read 1,593,381 times
A couple of suggestions. Among the districts, there can be a lot of variance as to the availability of resources they have available for different types of disabilitilies. First you might want to contact the resources center at the UC Davis Mind institute. They can refer you to some of the support groups and the members of those support groups can give you feedback as which districts are best for a specific disability. You will find them here.

Resource Center

My hunch is that the bigger the district the more likely they will have the most resources, but that is just my hunch, I would talk to the people in one of the support groups in the Mind Center.

Once you have some feedback as to which district is best for your kids disability, then I would look for schools in that district with the highest test scores

2007 Base API County List of Schools - Sacramento County

You might find these sites helpful.

This is a map of schools by test score. You will have to click on it a few times to find the data for Sacramento.

California School Performance Maps

This is the craigslist housing listings in a map form.

HousingMaps

This is the mls in map form.

HotPads - Map Search for Real Estate, Apartments & Houses for Rent, Foreclosures and Homes for Sale

Together what all of these sites allow you to do is figure out, what it costs to buy into a school with a specific test score.

The one data out lier is the Sacramento City Unified School District. In the City district, the high scoring schools are magnet schools. That could be good or bad. The good is that it may allow you to buy into a cheaper school and send your child to the better school.

In San Juan, they have an open enrollment policy. What that means is that if there is space in a school after all of the families who live in the attendance area for the neighborhood school have gotten into a specific school, then they open it up to anyone else who wants to attend that school who lives in the district. What that means is that if you want to send your kid to a high scoring, but school with low attendance levels, your probably can do it.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:00 PM

2 posts, read 9,915 times
Thank you CityGirl and Zen_Klown for your input. I am leaning towards Elk Grove because I also read about "neverstreaming" concept by Elk Grove school district, where they encourage "mainstream" education for kids on the spectrum.

Regards,

Zains BAba
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento