Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 05:41 PM

2 posts, read 7,255 times

Advertisements

We are about to start looking to buy a house in the Sacramento area. We are pretty new to the area, so we don't know a whole lot about it. Right now we are looking at two areas in the San Juan School district. I know it is a very large district, so I'm sure things very from area to area, but any info would be very helpful. We are looking in Far Oaks and the Arden Arcade areas. We are being told that Davis is the way to go, but while we know the schools are good, we aren't too happy with the price tag or the lot sizes. It seems like homes there that the right size and price are mostly tract houses. Is the district so much better than anything else around that it is worth not being really happy with your house? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 03:18 AM

3 posts, read 10,248 times
"Is the district so much better than anything else around that it is worth not being really happy with your house?" no way!
I am a native and have lived in Fair Oaks, the Arden Aracade area....Fair Oaks is a great area, though SJ school district does have its challenges- I have nephews enrolled within the district for over 10 years. I am uncertain what your children's ages are, but if you have a high-schooler, Bella Vista High is a fine school; well supported in the community, strong sports- the only No. California La Crosse team...
Davis: yes, it can be great. And not so great. Many that live outside of the Davis consider Davis to be like Texas to the lower 47- they think they are special so they must be....I hope this helped. Good luck in your search.

-Cheers,
Water

Old 04-04-2008, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 7,255 times
Thanks for the info. Our kids are still little, so we would be looking at the elementary schools.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:12 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,722,858 times
I lived in Sac, moved to Seattle and am not moving back, and moving back with a new baby and 1st grader this time. So now I look at the schools in Sac closely

San Juan is a good school district but you must pick wisely because it does cover some sketchy areas.

Roseville/Rocklin/Granite Bay you can throw a stone and hit a good school

We are probably moving to Folsom, nothing but good schools, low crime, and clean family areas.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:19 PM

179 posts, read 770,266 times
We live in the SJUSD and there are some really great elementary schools depending on what you are looking for. The schools with the best reputation are Del Dayo, Deterding, Green Oaks, Orangevale Open, Mission Open. Check out San Juan Unified School District and more recently I found this website which has been very informative: California School Ratings

This is also a good website if you want to see some STAR test scores (if that matters to you): California Standardized Testing And Reporting (STAR) Program

My kids are enrolled in a private Montessori school and we will either choose one of the above mentioned schools or continue in private Montessori, but will absolutely enter the lottery for California Montessori Project

SJUSD is a great school district, but I agree that you have to check out the schools. I don't need a school with the best test scores, but what I look for is the quality of the teachers.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:47 AM

375 posts, read 1,728,898 times
I was raised in this school district. They have a lot of gang problems. I wouldn't want my kids going to any of their schools.

Look into better areas like Roseville, Folsom, Rocklin & Loomis.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:27 AM

Gangs in SJUSD?? Which schools are you referring to?

mr1977, how old are your children?

Old 04-26-2008, 08:48 AM

375 posts, read 1,728,898 times
Foothill & North Highlands.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADRMNDANES View Post
Foothill & North Highlands.
Oh, well yeah. But there is also Carmichael, Fair Oaks, and Orangevale.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:51 PM

20 posts, read 106,003 times
Hi,

I'm thinkikng of buying a house around the Mira Loma high. Appreciate any advise that you could give. Also, how's about Mira Loma high.

Thanks and Regards,
Duong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento