Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 09:02 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,224,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by volleyballer View Post
I checked out the website to see the flood risk of my house in Roseville knowing it's not a flood risk. It said low to moderate. Then I checked my friend's house in North Natomas, and it said low to moderate. Finally I checked my hometown of Mt. Shasta, and...wait for it... it said low to moderate too. I'm questioning the reliability of this site now.
It can't be too accurate. I entered my parents address and zip code for their place in Florida, which has to regularly be evacuated for flooding from hurricanes.

They came up low to moderate. My parents flood insurance policy cost says otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 12:16 PM

167 posts, read 451,785 times
Roseville Rocklin and Lincoln are much higher than Sacramento, and Lincoln and Rocklin don't have huge creeks. roseville can have flooding issues with its creek, but as far as dam breaks, I wouldnt worry.
the politicians need to stop fighting over the levies and fix them though.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:11 AM

534 posts, read 1,533,699 times
Folsom has the main dam that holds back Folsom Lake, and the Mormon Island Auxillary Dam (MIAD). MIAD, which is along Green Valley Rd/Blue Ravine Rd, has some concerns that might be an issue in an earthquake, and so it is being retrofitted. Those concerns are detailed in the EIR for the Folsom Dam Raise project. Personally, I wouldn't live below MIAD...nope, not me. That said, I do live in a high wildfire risk area, but I chose to live on the edge of it...there is natural disaster risk everywhere, you have to choose your level of comfort in living with it, and choose your risk. I left SoCal earthquakes for wildfire risk...and am much happier with my particular choice....

Old 03-31-2017, 09:12 PM

1 posts, read 903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orchid1 View Post
I know that Sacramento and a lot of the surrounding towns are at risk of flooding because they are in a floodplain, but what about the towns of Folsom, Roseville, Rocklin, Fair Oaks?

If a dam were to break or an earthquake to occur, are they at risk? I'm assuming "anything could happen" but just wondering how fearful local residents are?

Apparently the area is only second at risk for flooding (following New Orleans)? SCARY.
No the area is not second at risk for flooding following New Orleans. One Geologist suggested that way back in 2006 and even then he said he was referring to the "Delta" area, but since then millions of dollars has been spent retrofitting the levees and several neighborhoods that once required flood insurance no longer do. There are areas of Sacramento County that have never flooded, many of them much higher in elevation than Sacramento City's 50 feet above sea level. Fair Oaks for example is nearly 200 feet above sea level and does not flood. A low street here and there may if the drains are backed up after days and days of heavy rain, but that is not considered flooding.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:11 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justducky2 View Post
Folsom has the main dam that holds back Folsom Lake, and the Mormon Island Auxillary Dam (MIAD). MIAD, which is along Green Valley Rd/Blue Ravine Rd, has some concerns that might be an issue in an earthquake, and so it is being retrofitted. Those concerns are detailed in the EIR for the Folsom Dam Raise project. Personally, I wouldn't live below MIAD...nope, not me.
Agreed, I live in folsom and purposefully avoided that area, and also anything along Blue Ravine which was the path the water flowed before the dam, or so I was told. The Carpenter Hills are between me and the dam, and I'm somewhat elevated. There is the potential for flooding down Broadstone Parkway which could reach me, but I am not in a direct path.

Oroville Dam and the fiasco that happened there this winter is a much greater concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento