Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 12:11 PM

6 posts, read 41,221 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to purchase my first home and I'm trying to do reserach on various areas that would be good for my situation. I'm interested in Rocklin, parts of Roseville, Loomis, and Folsom (or similar areas). Here's a run-down of my situation...

I'm a 29 year old single male (no kids right now, or in the foreseeable future) and I live alone. I work from home, but need to be able do my "field work" near the Sacramento Airport (1-3 times per week), so figure commute time to SMF should be 45 minutes or less. I tend to prefer neighborhoods that are a little older with mature landscaping and a little space between the houses. I've lived in both Davis and Chico and really like those towns if that gives you some idea of the type of city I would like. I like Land Park (but can't afford it), and Midtown is "ok" (but I can't afford that either), Davis (but can't afford it). I really don't like the feel of Natomas, so that's out.

Currently I'm renting an apartment in Rocklin (I've been here almost 3 years). I like that Rocklin is safe, clean, and there are some older neighborhoods. It's also close enough to SMF via Baseline Rd. What I don't like is that there's no downtown area or many social activities for someone like me.

Roseville I have mixed feelings on. It seems like one neighborhood is nice, but in just a couple of blocks the character can change drastically. I also don't like all of the new developments and that there is the major train hub in the middle of town.

Loomis makes the list because I like the acerage out there, and there is still a little downtown area. What I don't like are the train tracks through the middle of town and it's farther away from SMF.

Folsom seems to be a good city that is safe, with a downtown area that would be fun, but I don't know anything about which neighborhoods are good and safe in that area. Also, I'm not sure what the train is like in Folsom (does it make alot of noise?). Also, how is the commute on Hwy 50 to the Airport? Are there back-roads that are quicker? Any estimates on commute time (both rush hour and non-rush hours would be great).

I'm looking to buy a 3 br. 2 ba. in the $200k range. I know this isn't my forever home, so I'm looking for good resale value AND ease of resale, so the major factors of a good neighborhood (schools, safety, shopping, etc) are still important.

I'm open to other suggestions as well, and thank you for your thoughts.

Last edited by Dermochelys; 01-07-2012 at 12:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 10:59 AM

154 posts, read 691,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermochelys View Post
I work from home, but need to be able do my "field work" near the Sacramento Airport (1-3 times per week), so figure commute time to SMF should be 45 minutes or less. I tend to prefer neighborhoods that are a little older with mature landscaping and a little space between the houses.
I'd suggest you consider Woodland. You can't beat the convenience to SMF (about 15 min), and it has an amazing variety of older architectural styles as well as newer houses. On a nice day, bring your bicycle to town and cycle around the older areas roughly bounded by Main, West, the RR tracks and Gibson for a sample of what's available. Woodland's also conveniently located to Sac and to Davis. Because the area around I-5 and Rd 102 was overbuilt around Y2K, there are a lot of foreclosures & short sales on the market and prices in general are very reasonable.

I lived in Woodland until 2010 and liked it a lot. The Sac Bee has been running a series on different neighborhoods in their real estate section on Sundays. They did one on Woodland about a month ago that was a good (though overly rose-colored) overview of the town. I haven't been able to find it on line, but a real estate agent should be able to get it for you. Good luck!

Old 01-09-2012, 01:32 PM

Thanks for the suggestion on Woodland, there are a couple of reasons I had eliminated it from the running.

1) The primary reason is that the non-profit I work for is spread out throughout California and we all work from home. There's already someone from my group who lives in Woodland and I got the impression from my boss that they wanted me to stay in the eastern Sacramento Area so we were not bunched up.

2) I've been to Woodland several times, and I've always gotten a bit of a sketchy feel when there. Certainly not all of it is that way, are other then the block you listed, what are the other decent areas.

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:18 PM

154 posts, read 691,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermochelys View Post
1) The primary reason is that the non-profit I work for is spread out throughout California and we all work from home. There's already someone from my group who lives in Woodland and I got the impression from my boss that they wanted me to stay in the eastern Sacramento Area so we were not bunched up.

Hmm -- can't help with that, though your coworker should be able to give you the lowdown on Woodland pros & cons.

2) I've been to Woodland several times, and I've always gotten a bit of a sketchy feel when there. Certainly not all of it is that way, are other then the block you listed, what are the other decent areas.
Woodland gets some bad press, and there are certainly places you definitely don't want to be: most anything north of Main Street (Beamer Park is a notable exception. *Beautiful* old homes there!), anything close to the RR tracks. I lived in SW Woodland, near West & Gibson, and a lot of those homes were *very* nice -- one within two blocks of my house had a five-car garage and a moat. Faria Park is a newer desirable area.

BUT downtown is still looking shabby -- pretty much everyone goes shopping at the malls and there is noticeable gang activity, especially on the east side. If you want any kind of social life with your peers, you will have to go down to Davis (though the commute is trivial from SW Woodland).

The trip from Folsom to SMF is a real killer; I'm not sure you could do it in 45 minutes, especially at rush hours.

Given your demographic, you may be happier in Sac -- I'm surprised you can't find anything affordable in the Midtown area. Are you open to buying a condo?

Old 01-09-2012, 02:58 PM

Thanks for giving me the low-down on the good....and not so good areas of Woodland. I'll have to ask my co-worker about how she feels about the town.

I'm not really open to a condo because I believe that a house (with the land it's on) is a better investment. Plus, I don't want to have to deal with all of the HOA fees / rules. I'm not a party animal either, so I don't have to be in the middle of the hip area of town. What I like about midtown is the architecture of the homes (which is why I also like Land Park and East Sacramento). Of course, so does everybody else, and that's why they are so pricey.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:14 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
Folsom is an easy 45 minute drive to SMF without traffic. Plus, I'm not really sure there is much in the way of nightlife for you there. There is a nice, small downtown area with a couple bars, but that's about it.

You're probably a better judge of the Rocklin/Roseville area since you live out there.

Loomis can be a bit rural. I like the big lots and a lot of trees, but that gets back to what nightlife/social life might be there for you. I can't really answer that - anyone?

Old 01-09-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
Folsom is an easy 45 minute drive to SMF without traffic.
Any idea on what the drive time is when there is traffic?

Thanks for the input, Rocklin has zero....and I mean zero in the way of nightlife. The bigger issue in Rocklin is that the entire town is dominated by married couples with kids.

Roseville has the big restaurants around the Galleria and I've been to downtown bars there a couple of times, and it was pretty quiet otherwise.

I'm guessing Loomis is also pretty dead at night.

I know it's hard to find the perfect mix in any one particular town. I'm really clueless on Folsom, so any more information on it would be great, though it's quickly losing out because of the commute time. Also, I think the areas I could afford are not quite as good as the same price point in Rocklin.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:26 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
I've lived in Folsom for the past 2 years, and I bought a home this summer. There are lots of older areas that are well treed, and have larger lots...the 2 that immediately come to mind are American River Canyon or Lexington Hills. There is also Willow Creek, Briggs Ranch & the area over by Ed Mitchell Park.

I've never heard anyone complain about "train noise." I believe the only train that runs through Folsom is the light rail. There are tracks that parellel E Bidwell, but they are not active. It is used for historic train rides.

One of the really good things about Folsom, is that it has held it's property values better than any other area in the greater Sacramento region...so very good resale value. I've seen a 25-30% decrease from the top of the market, and yes, there are lots of short sales & foreclosures, but not nearly as many as in other areas. It's a very desirable city with everything you mentioned, "good resale value AND ease of resale, so the major factors of a good neighborhood (schools, safety, shopping, etc)." The shopping is not quite as expansive as Roseville, but it has nearly everything. And the big new lifestyle shopping center, the Palladio is filling up, and hoping on the weekends. Palladio

I personally would not want to do the commute, but I imagine it is possible to do it in 45 minutes at the right time of the day. They've been working on Hwy 50, and I believe the commute lane is past Sunrise (I can't remember exactly since I rarely go down that way anymore). There is also the light rail that takes you into downtown or out to Watt, but not all the way to SMF, at least not yet. There are dreams of doing so.

I think the freeway is the most direct route to SMF, but when I have to go to Carmichael, Citrus Heights or Roseville, I always go the back way...up Folsom-Auburn Rd, and across either at Greenback which takes you all the way to near the SMF. I've got co-workers who travel that route towards Folsom everyday, and they have found ways to make it work. Most arrive to work between 6-7 am.

There's plenty of singles in Folsom, and plenty of bars & restaurants throughout the town, not just in old town. It really depends on what you like to do. If you are physically active, then you would love Folsom, as there are paved paths running throughout the neighborhoods, the ARP, the Nimbus Dam aquatic center, as well as gyms.

If you'd like more specific info, there is Folsom-specific forum and I can connect you with some of the people over there. Tomato Pages Forums - Greater Sacramento area

Folsom is totally worth it. I'd be more than happy to connect you with some of my Folsom friends. Let me know if you are interested.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:32 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
If you're single, is there a reason you need a 3br 2ba? Planning on roommates?

Folsom is comparable to Roseville in terms of nightlife, if that's a priority you probably want to look closer to Sacramento which would also shorten your commute to SMF.

It sounds like you like older homes--take a look at some of the quieter ends of the central city and Land Park/Curtis Park, even East Sac, you can find a lot of nice little bungalows in that price range. They have held their value better than many other neighborhoods through the housing bubble and collapse. They're likely to hold their value better than a just-built home in the suburbs, and you'll probably like it more.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:04 PM

@caligirlz, thanks for your vote for Folsom. I drove around town the other night in the areas that would be in my price range. Just about everything that is coming up is in the Natomas Heights area of town. This area didn't look all that great to me, can you give me any details about this area? American Canyon and Lexington Heights would be way out of my price range.

@wburg - the comparison with Roseville is very helpful, thank you. I'd love the neighborhoods you mentioned in Sacramento, but it looks like the market down there has moved past my price point. I'm interested in a 3 br. 2 ba. because I know this won't be my forever home, and I'm looking at it as an investment as well and 3/2 are, from what I've heard, a good way to go. I work from home, so one room would be an office. Then guest bedroom to take up the other extra.

Can anyone tell me about the Los Cerritos neighborhood in Roseville? I drove through tonight and it looked alright. This is west of Washington, North of Main, East of Porter and South of the fair grounds. How's the train / fair grounds noise? Is it a safe area?

Any information on the various areas west of I-80, North of Darling, east of the creek? Again, noise, crime, etc... I also went through the Maidu area the other day, and that seemed nice.

I think Folsom is out of the running due to 1) bang for my buck, and 2) the commute for work. But, that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the town...right? It's only about 20-30 minutes away, so I'm figuring I can visit whenever I like.

Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento