Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2008, 07:50 PM

141 posts, read 647,094 times

Advertisements

Well I've been thinking that my perceptions of Sacramento were based on a few experiences there from being in bad areas.. I've been going up there a few times lately to look around and it seems there are plenty of decent areas, I am going to be going back to college (I'm 23) and don't know anyone in Sacramento. I am wondering if this would be a good place to consider. The obvious benefit is it has a relatively low cost of living compared to other, more populated areas of California, also its near the mountains, etc.

Anyways, is Sacramento State a decent place to go, would be interested to hear from people who went there. What are good areas to live in for someone like me where there would be other college aged or similar aged people? Are there enough groups / organizations / events where you can meet other people either at Sac State or in the community in general. Any info is appreciated.

Last edited by rickca; 10-15-2008 at 08:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 09:32 PM

406 posts, read 1,594,667 times
Sac State is mostly a commuter school. That means it draws students from all over the region.

Here is a map of various neighborhoods in the city of Sacramento. On this map, the neighborhoods with the highest densities of students are going to be found in Campus Commons, especially in the apartments along University Avenue. Its a short walk over the Guy West Bridge (the bike bridge that looks like a mini golden gate bridge). There is also a bunch of student apartment in College Glen especially along La Riveria Blvd. Both of these neighborhoods are good if you prefer to walk or ride your bike to school. A little further afar you will also find a fair amount of students living in the apartment and condo complexes between Fulton and Howe Avenue.

For students who would prefer to share a house or duplex, you will find a bunch of them living in Tahoe Park East and Tahoe Park. You will also find a lot of student living in College Greens (or on this map college glen).

Its a little further afar and probably a tad bit more expensive, but definitely worthwhile to checkout both midtown and boulevard park. As I said before, Sac State is a commuter school, so you can find some students living in most regions of Sacramento, but I think the neighborhoods I listed are going to have the highest density of your fellow students.

http://maps.cityofsacramento.org/Map...20streetsE.pdf

You can find several cafes, multiple restaurants and a couple of dive bars especially near Fair Oaks and Monroe. But you probably have better options in both midtown and downtown in terms of night life.

In general, I think people in Sacramento are very approachable. I doubt you will have problems making friends in classes. But if you are looking for things to do to make friends, I definitely thought that taking classes at the CSUS aquatic center was probably one of the better places to meet pretty fun people. But your interests might be different than mine.

ASI Aquatic Center

Old 10-15-2008, 10:46 PM

Cool.. thanks for the info, I checked out meetup.com for Sacramento but there didn't seem to be many that I'd be interested in, I'm not too into going to bars or clubs but would rather meet people into doing things outdoors, who are into fitness and that sort of thing, are there groups for this in Sac?

Old 10-15-2008, 11:40 PM

8,674 posts, read 17,312,338 times
Peak Adventures (The University Union, CSU Sacramento (http://www.csus.edu/union/entertainment/peak.html - broken link)) is a campus-based organization specializing in outdoor adventures. You'll have no trouble finding that sort of activity in the Sacramento area. I'd recommend checking out the local REI (REI Sacramento Store) too.

The American River bike trail (Sacramento Area Bike Trails (http://www.saccycle.com/bikewaymaps/map6.htm - broken link)) is a good ride and very popular--it is used by commuters as well as those just there for exercise or nature.

There are plenty of gyms in town, but here's the one I consider the most unique: Bodytribe Fitness. (Physical Subculture), where you're as likely to see art shows as powerlifting meets, and some of the exercises include lugging around sandbags, truck tires and the owner's Land Rover.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:53 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,713,718 times
There are a BUNCH of riding and hiking and outdoors clubs on Meetup.com

There are a ton of running groups - or camping groups there too

look again

Old 10-16-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
There are a BUNCH of riding and hiking and outdoors clubs on Meetup.com

There are a ton of running groups - or camping groups there too

look again
I just checked out the ones that were meeting this week maybe thats why I missed some of them.. thanks

Old 10-17-2008, 11:03 AM

57 posts, read 273,711 times
It's been a long time since I attended Sac State but they used to have (and probably still do) a great ski club as well as the aquatic center. At the aquatic center (at least when I was going to Sac State in the 80s) you could learn to sail, row, kayak, or water ski. There are also various clubs in Sac you could join for outdoor activities like hiking, biking, whitewater rafting or kayaking, running, etc. A few of them are listed below. These are not affiliated with the college and will have members of all ages. If you're an outdoorsy person you should like it here.

California Floaters Society (CFS) - a community of California river rafting, kayaking, canoeing and river boarding enthusiasts
GCP: Home (Gold Country Paddlers - rafting, kayaking, canoeing)
Home Page - Sacramento Bike Hikers
Sacramento Wheelmen Bicycling Club
Buffalo Chips Running Club
The Lady Bugs - Women's Flyfishing in the Sacramento Area (I think men are welcome too)
Sierra Club Home Page: Explore, Enjoy and Protect the Planet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento