Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2008, 08:14 AM

46 posts, read 192,434 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was talking with a friend trying to understand things and she said filing bankruptcy make one ineligible to rent an apartment, even the one that accepts low income such as "Natomas Park Apartment". Is that right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 10:26 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,721,536 times
It's always worth a shot but be upfront with your financial situtation. But yes, the majority of the time if you have filed bankruptcy you will have a very difficult time renting, buying a car, or getting anything that demands a credit line.

If you want to rent - try and make yourself look great on paper. Show you are worth something by having a good paying job, and that you stay at jobs for long times, add your resume if it's a good one, get letter of rec from old places where you've rented before - or one from your current employer saying that you are trustworthy.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingalabaa View Post
Hi,

I was talking with a friend trying to understand things and she said filing bankruptcy make one ineligible to rent an apartment, even the one that accepts low income such as "Natomas Park Apartment". Is that right?
Update: Depends on what debt you owe.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
It's always worth a shot but be upfront with your financial situation.
Yes, that's what I did even before I was considering BF. I told them that I was ill and recovering after graduating and still pursuing a career related to that education by taking classes and now doing subbing. As she gave me the form to fill, the girl asked me whether I have done BF. I said "no" because I didn't want to but after realizing that I'd better start a clean slate and get rid of those ridiculous interest rate on credit cards - I have no unpaid bills on utilities, phone, TV. etc. - I am going to do it unless I want to be the interest for ever.

Quote:
But yes, the majority of the time if you have filed bankruptcy you will have a very difficult time renting, buying a car, or getting anything that demands a credit line.
My car is paid off and it is 3 years old subaru. I called the apartment complex and explained my situation and they said I'd be fine. I guess they go with factors other then BF alone.

Quote:
If you want to rent - try and make yourself look great on paper. Show you are worth something by having a good paying job, and that you stay at jobs for long times, add your resume if it's a good one, get letter of rec from old places where you've rented before - or one from your current employer saying that you are trustworthy.
I don't have a good job right now as I was recovering from illness (though not hospitalized, the recovery form long term affect of fighting mold from school exacerbated w/ a breast surgery ) that left me very weak. And IT market was bad for those who just graduated and couldn't just take off to another city to take contract work. I am physically able now and will be pursuing my career-interests. Since I am not getting enough hours subbing, I will just have to rent a room from a friend's mom and manage. Less expense though it will be a big change since I have been living alone for a long time ( and recently in family-owned properties).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento