Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2008, 12:43 AM

8 posts, read 30,924 times

Advertisements

Am looking at moving to the Elk Grove area and am wondering if a daily commute to Tracy is reasonable. I understand it is approx an hours drive but I know traffic can make for a miserable commute and extend that time greatly. Hubby would be working regular business hours most days.

Can anyone suggest alternative cities that I can look at for purchasing a home? I have small kids so the schools need to be good and the city/city businesses should offer family oriented activities.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 06:19 PM

60 posts, read 246,073 times
That commute will be terrible. It's an hour from Stockton to Tracy during rush hour. Unless he can work 6AM-3PM, plan on raising the kids as a single parent. If he is going to try that commute, he might as well get a job in the Bay Area--at least it will should pay better for the commute.

Alternatives:
Tracy, Livermore, Ripon, Escalon, Modesto.

Livermore is my personal favorite and it's has a counter-commute as its closer to the bay. Ripon, Escalon, and Modesto all suffer from an unpleasant commute, but the communities are pretty good. Modesto is a larger city so it has patchy-spots, but overall its good. Tracy itself is a fine place to live, though I find it too far from good dining and shopping.

Patterson is ok, but it's isolated. You have to drive for everything. The schools are acceptable, but have a bad rep. There are private schools that are pretty good.

I would recommend against Weston Ranch (south stockton), Lathrop, and Lodi. They've been hit hard by foreclosures. Manteca is an average area, but I would only buy there if I could not afford the other areas.

What's your budget for housing?

Old 08-25-2008, 06:23 PM

60 posts, read 246,073 times
Another alternative:
Brentwood and Antioch. Decent communities, schools, and commutes. I am unsure of the distance to Elk Grove/Sacramento, but may be closer than the other mentioned cities. They are a bit isolated too with poor highway access, but you can get most services in town.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:27 AM

8 posts, read 30,924 times
Funny you say that I should plan on raising my kids as a single parent with that commute....I've been practically doing that for the past 4 years!!! We moved from CA to TX at the end of 2001 and he travelled almost every week for the first 2 years sometime for 18 days at a time, then the past 20 months he's been commuting from TX to Chicago Mon-Thr every week. Just to have him home every night would be a blessing!

He would have a fairly flexible schedule. He was thinking about leaving the house at 6am and heading home around either 5:30-6pm or 3-4pm depending on what he has going on. Would he beat most of the traffic...at least in the am?

I'm thinking our budget is somewhere between $245-$300k. I don't think that would buy much in Livermore and I was hoping to stay close to the Sacramento area since I have a sister and best friend there. He says Tracy is out of the question because there is nothing there. We live in the DFW area and we are surrounded by LOTS of cities with LOTS to do.

I will check out some of the other cities that you mentioned as I have never even heard of them before.

I appreciate your suggestions!! Although i'd love to stay close to family and friends, I'd much rather make it a little easier on hubby and myself and have him spending time at home rather than on the road commuting.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschek View Post
Another alternative:
Brentwood and Antioch. Decent communities, schools, and commutes. I am unsure of the distance to Elk Grove/Sacramento, but may be closer than the other mentioned cities. They are a bit isolated too with poor highway access, but you can get most services in town.
You must be joking. Antioch and Brentwood have nothing but problems. Schools are horrible. All section 8 trash has moved in. I would not want to raise my kids here.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:11 AM

44 posts, read 138,801 times
I'm with What a Mess said.

Check the New York Times archives. They just did an interesting piece on how the suburban and exurban BA communities are changing as the section 8 move in and the wealthy move closer into the city. I think they covered Antioch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento