Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2008, 12:49 AM

599 posts, read 1,652,557 times

Advertisements

Well, we want to mvoe either to land park or E. Sac. We are in Folsom now and don't care for it. What radius should we stay in when looking? I mean what street numbers does the area start to get bad in? I know Oak park isn't good. Which has better schools? E. Sac or Land Park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 08:59 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,697,727 times
I think the elementary schools are pretty much the same for acedemics

But the middle school (IMHO) in Land Park sucks, Sutter Middle in East Sac is a feeder/college prep middle school and very nice.

I'm not really into McClatchy (HS in Land Park), and if we move there we would try to get our son into Jesuit HS - which is East of East Sac past Sac State. But RIO is also a good highschool near Jesuit, but I believe it's in the San Juan School district

Just FYI, I too would take East Sac or Land Park over Folsom, but I think that Folsom has better schools hands down

Old 09-15-2008, 01:26 AM

16 posts, read 57,521 times
Crocker Riverside (Elem in Land Park) and Didion (Elem in Pocket) were the top two schools when we moved here two years ago. I don't know what they are this year, but I'm sure it's close if not the same.

East Sac has the better middle school (Sutterville). Land Park's middle school is not good. McClatchy HS (Land Park) - I'm not sure about academics, but it has it's fair share of violence. East Sac doesn't have it's own HS right now. East Sac High became St. Hope (charter school).

Folsom definitely has better schools overall, but I think you'd be fine with either neighborhood's elementary school. East Sac has David Lubin and Theodore Judah - David Lubin is better IMO.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:36 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,232,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
I'm not really into McClatchy (HS in Land Park), and if we move there we would try to get our son into Jesuit HS - which is East of East Sac past Sac State. But RIO is also a good highschool near Jesuit, but I believe it's in the San Juan School district
McClatchy is recognized by the state of California as a top public high school. Not the best, mind you, but really, really far from the worst. Molly Ringwold was a former student, fyi. Land Park is a good neighborhood, but it is close to some not-so-nice neighborhoods, so you get some students who lean more towards the gang lifestyle and/or other students who do not attend Sacramento High school for what ever reason (Sac High is the second oldest high school west of the Mississippi).

Jesuit is east of East Sac, but you need to keep going, and going, and going. Yes, it is past CSUS (not Sac State), but you still need to keep going for a bit (your post makes it sound like Jesuit is just down the street). Rio is in the SJUSD (San Juan Unified School District), but Jesuit is a private school, so it does not belong to any school district. Some of the best public high schools in Sacramento are found within the SJUSD (your post makes it seem as if Rio was the exception to a lame school district).

If you want to do the private school route, then Christian Brothers is the way to go, although it is in the worst neighborhood out of all the schools talked about so far, even though it is close to Land Park. It is probably the best high school in Sacto hands down.

If I had to chose between East Sac and Land Park, I would chose Land Park any day.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:46 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,697,727 times
BTW I would drive to RIo Americano and Jesuit to have my kid at a better high school (even if it is top, but not really, and has GANG members? Ahhh no thanks)

I would drive an hour anywhere for a good education for my child. And it MIGHT be 20 minutes to get to Jesuit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento