Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 09:26 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,581,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasUsuck View Post
Maybe you can help me with why Sacramento, Modesto, and Stockton houses are so cheap when 80 miles to the west they are triple the cost?

What other taxes/fees bother you in Sacramento area?
Maybe because 80 miles west of those cities is the Pacific Ocean. Gee Wiz, ocean front property is more expensive than the Central Valley farmland, who would have thought?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 04:17 PM

27 posts, read 29,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
Maybe because 80 miles west of those cities is the Pacific Ocean. Gee Wiz, ocean front property is more expensive than the Central Valley farmland, who would have thought?
Not true, when you look at real estate in Los Angeles the property is high or 150,000 + all the way to the mountains 96 miles away near big bear and lake arrowhead. In San Francisco the land gets cheaper around Fairfield only 45 miles east. Two things I could think of is crime and the economy. Stockton and Modesto have high crime. Sacramento has lost Campbell's soup plant and Intel plant is downsizing.I have also been reading about wells drying up south of Sacramento that might have something to do with low prices in northern California.

COULD SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT PLEASE RESPOND.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:21 PM

Speaking of California laws. I have been watching the news and San Francisco, Santa Cruz, Davis, and Los Angeles ARE sanctuary cities that don't enforce immigration status.

Do you feel this increases the crime rate in the sanctuary cities?

Old 07-17-2015, 10:03 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,581,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasUsuck View Post
Not true, when you look at real estate in Los Angeles the property is high or 150,000 + all the way to the mountains 96 miles away near big bear and lake arrowhead. In San Francisco the land gets cheaper around Fairfield only 45 miles east. Two things I could think of is crime and the economy. Stockton and Modesto have high crime. Sacramento has lost Campbell's soup plant and Intel plant is downsizing.I have also been reading about wells drying up south of Sacramento that might have something to do with low prices in northern California.

COULD SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT PLEASE RESPOND.
I guess I don't understand what you're talking about.

You have to realize that about 12 million people live in the LA basin. There is a finite amount of property available so all property goes up. In the San Francisco area, the population density is much less once you leave the Bay area.

Oh, and by the way, I'm sure most people in the Los Angeles area would consider ANY property at 150,000 to be extremely cheap.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
I guess I don't understand what you're talking about.

You have to realize that about 12 million people live in the LA basin. There is a finite amount of property available so all property goes up. In the San Francisco area, the population density is much less once you leave the Bay area.

Oh, and by the way, I'm sure most people in the Los Angeles area would consider ANY property at 150,000 to be extremely cheap.

Your probably right about Los Angeles population density is higher that San Francisco which inflates the housing prices due to finite property available.

THANKS!

Old 07-18-2015, 11:27 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,045,482 times
Default Prop. 13- may it burn in hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
And as I've said a gazillion times over. The real problem in expensive areas is they DO NOT BUILD ENOUGH FREAKIN' HOUSING, which jacks up rents and home prices...which are almost everyone's biggest expense. You can't solve a housing supply problem with a higher minimum wage. When housing is scarce, the people at the bottom are always going to be outbid by everyone else.

Why Middle-Class Americans Can't Afford to Live in Liberal Cities - The Atlantic
My thoughts/ opinions exactly! Proposition 13 is plain and simple DISCRIMINATION.

Rich old farts that bought their big houses years ago are paying less property taxes than struggling young homeowners that bought their modest houses recently. AND, on top of that, these young families have to pay the ridiculous Mello-Roos taxes (that pay for sewers, streets, schools, etc.)

Maybe those old farts should have been taxed the same way new homeowners are now having to pay for Mello-Roos taxes. I guarantee you they'd have a senior-revolt.

California is a messed up, ungovernable state thanks to liberals. Good riddance. It's way over-rated as a State.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 07-19-2015 at 11:00 AM..

Old 07-18-2015, 11:21 PM

[quote=DougStark;40461593]
Quote:
And as I've said a gazillion times over. The real problem in expensive areas is they DO NOT BUILD ENOUGH FREAKIN' HOUSING, which jacks up rents and home prices...which are almost everyone's biggest expense. You can't solve a housing supply problem with a higher minimum wage. When housing is scarce, the people at the bottom are always going to be outbid by everyone else.

Why Middle-Class Americans Can't Afford to Live in Liberal Cities - The Atlantic[/quotme]

My thoughts/ opinions exactly! Proposition 13 is plain and simple DISCRIMINATION.

Rich old farts that bought their big houses years ago are paying less property taxes than struggling young homeowners that bought their modest houses recently. AND, on top of that, these young families have to pay the ridiculous Mello-Roos taxes (that pay for sewers, streets, schools, etc.)

Maybe those old farts should have been taxed the same way new homeowners are now having to pay for Mello-Roos taxes. I guarantee you they'd have a senior-revolt.

California is a messed up, ungovernable state thanks to liberals. Good riddance. It's way over-rated as a State.
A Mello-Roos District is an area where a special tax is imposed on those real property owners within a Community Facilities District. This district has chosen to seek public financing through the sale of bonds for the purpose of financing certain public improvements and services.

Do you know which county near Sacramento has the lowest tax rate with mello-roos figured in for a new home buyer?

I would assume stockton or modesto with crime being so high would be the lowest.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:14 AM

42,843 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It is having the effect throughout the area...

I bought a Chimney Cap from Home Depot... the Home Depot here in Oakland was several dollars more expensive than the one in Martinez...

One young lady I know was thrilled to earn more... she is a single Mom and her daughter is in Day Care... thing is the Day Care also has to pay higher wages so the cost of Day Care is going up so she is really no better off.
Sounds like a pricing error. Oakland and Martinez are in the same HD regional market. You can check it yourself by going to their website, enter the item you purchased then changing your preferred store from Oakland to Martinez.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:31 AM

42,843 posts, read 26,253,950 times
[quote=TexasUsuck;40468583]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post

A Mello-Roos District is an area where a special tax is imposed on those real property owners within a Community Facilities District. This district has chosen to seek public financing through the sale of bonds for the purpose of financing certain public improvements and services.

Do you know which county near Sacramento has the lowest tax rate with mello-roos figured in for a new home buyer?

I would assume stockton or modesto with crime being so high would be the lowest.
The effective tax rate of an area doesn't have much to do with the crime rate, it's driven by demographics than anything else.

Mello-Roos varies, so it would be hard to calculate it unless you do so for a particular address. Here's a list by county but it does not include mello-roos https://www.besmartee.com/blog/calif...unty-2014-2015

Old 07-19-2015, 10:55 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
[quote=DougStark;40461593]
Quote:

Why Middle-Class Americans Can't Afford to Live in Liberal Cities - The Atlantic[/quotme]

Thankfully the United States Supreme Court disagrees with you...

I'm the new kid on the block where I live and pay way more than my seasoned citizen neighbors... the couple I bought from built my home back in 1958 and were paying $1200 property tax and the moment I bought it went to $8800 and is now $9400.

I have great neighbors and fully intend to be one of those old farts in 30 or 40 years with the low taxes...

One thing is for darn sure... I WOULD NEVER WANT A RETURN TO THE OLD WAY BEFORE PROP 13

Sweetheart Deals, Double Digit Tax Increases and Assessors going to prison or suicide because of criminal activity...

By the way... Prop 13 has nothing to do with when you bought property... only the value at the time you bought... some have made real smart buys between 2009-12 and pay LESS than those that bought before like me and those that are buying now...

Prop 13 is one of the laws I love in California and just about the only decent thing there is about California taxation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento