Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 10:35 PM

337 posts, read 406,254 times

Advertisements

While I agree with the social, science and drug policies of California, I don't necessarily agree with their fiscal ones.

Not to worry, when the brainiacs in california perfect robots, we won't need any minimum wage employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 10:37 PM

337 posts, read 406,254 times
Texas is essentially a southern confederacy state with similar values so nothing that comes from there surprises me.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:38 PM

27 posts, read 29,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
The old standby, Prop 13
I was wondering why on zillow some property taxes were in the hundreds and others in the thousands in the same sacramento area and price. Then I read prop 13 and it said the taxes stay the same unless new construction or is resold. NICE!!

Old 07-10-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redg415 View Post
There are alot of laws you won't like either, the taxing/cost of living either. but lots to see and do here in CA.
Maybe you can help me with why Sacramento, Modesto, and Stockton houses are so cheap when 80 miles to the west they are triple the cost?

What other taxes/fees bother you in Sacramento area?

Old 07-10-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crouching_tiger View Post
Texas is essentially a southern confederacy state with similar values so nothing that comes from there surprises me.
I figured the metro areas would be the same as in the Midwest but boy was I wrong. I think the trouble makers, minorities, and rift raft get ran out of the small towns and end up in the metro areas.The police in the dallas/fort worth area are a joke. Rick Perry passed a law when governor that says felons have a right to work. It was to get people off welfare but when your working you don't know if the guy next to you is a convicted felon. Now a law is passed that you can open carry handguns legally in public like the old days. Now I will have to start dodging bullets.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:57 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,720,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasUsuck View Post
I was wondering why on zillow some property taxes were in the hundreds and others in the thousands in the same sacramento area and price. Then I read prop 13 and it said the taxes stay the same unless new construction or is resold. NICE!!
Almost... Taxes are limited to a 2% annual increase cap plus voter approved assessments... most require 2/3 voter approval and some school assessments as low as 55% voter approval.

A great benefit of Prop 13 is it helps to make taxes predictable... not year to year double digit increases as in the pre Prop 13 days.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:54 PM

30,904 posts, read 36,998,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
$15/hour is a bad idea in L.A. and S.F. Talk about crippling small businesses in the name of "helpin' the little man."
And as I've said a gazillion times over. The real problem in expensive areas is they DO NOT BUILD ENOUGH FREAKIN' HOUSING, which jacks up rents and home prices...which are almost everyone's biggest expense. You can't solve a housing supply problem with a higher minimum wage. When housing is scarce, the people at the bottom are always going to be outbid by everyone else.

Why Middle-Class Americans Can't Afford to Live in Liberal Cities - The Atlantic

Old 07-11-2015, 08:56 PM

30,904 posts, read 36,998,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
Wouldn't the small business employer have to actually make enough profit to pay the higher wages, or is this the magical money that just appears when needed?
Agreed. This is what people don't get. Low wage industries are typically in low profit margin businesses. Retail, restaurants, hotels....typically have 3% to 4% profit margins. That's why the pay is low.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:06 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,462,322 times
Chipotle announced today that in the areas that have raised the minimum wage to $15 already (San Francisco, I believe) they are raising their menu prices 15%. Everywhere else, .5%

So that's where the extra money is coming from.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:53 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,720,668 times
It is having the effect throughout the area...

I bought a Chimney Cap from Home Depot... the Home Depot here in Oakland was several dollars more expensive than the one in Martinez...

One young lady I know was thrilled to earn more... she is a single Mom and her daughter is in Day Care... thing is the Day Care also has to pay higher wages so the cost of Day Care is going up so she is really no better off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento