Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 01:31 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times

Advertisements

Light rail stops running at 7 PM, and it's a one-hour ride downtown, so you can really only use it for daytime commuting. But if you live on the northern end of Midtown, you're within walking distance of the other end of the same trail those folks in Folsom get on.It's about the same level of dicey-ness as the last time you lived in Sacramento, but more popular these days so there are more "eyes on the trail" so to speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 02:36 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Light rail stops running at 7 PM, and it's a one-hour ride downtown, so you can really only use it for daytime commuting. But if you live on the northern end of Midtown, you're within walking distance of the other end of the same trail those folks in Folsom get on.It's about the same level of dicey-ness as the last time you lived in Sacramento, but more popular these days so there are more "eyes on the trail" so to speak.
Thanks, that's reassuring. I really prefer to live right in the city rather than out in the suburbs, and I forgot light rail stopped running that early. I have a friend who lives in Orangevale and uses it to commute from the Folsom station to downtown, and now I remember him complaining that he had to drive in on Fridays if he wanted to do anything downtown after work.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:40 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Midtown? Dicey? I suppose it depends on your level of comfort.

I (then a young female) lived at 24th & S in the early 80's and worked swing shift at 8th&G. I rode my bicycle home (except in bad weather) between midnight and 1 PM. Never had even a hint of a problem. In those days, north of H Street was an area to be wary of at night, but otherwise Midtown was no problem.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:06 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Midtown? Dicey? I suppose it depends on your level of comfort.

I (then a young female) lived at 24th & S in the early 80's and worked swing shift at 8th&G. I rode my bicycle home (except in bad weather) between midnight and 1 PM. Never had even a hint of a problem. In those days, north of H Street was an area to be wary of at night, but otherwise Midtown was no problem.
I think you misunderstood his post. He was referring to my question about the safety of the American River trail, not Midtown.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:53 AM

Exactly, oddstray. I live in Midtown now, and aside from the occasional rash of muggings or someone being beaten to death, it's safer, and a lot more active, than in the early 80s. The American River trail can be sketchy because there are a lot of homeless folks camped out there that can make it uncomfortable for a single female--and probably more homeless than the early 80s too.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:04 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
One question I have, having not lived in Sac proper since the mid-80s, is how safe is the American River trail for a single woman for running or biking? When I last lived in Midtown it was a bit dicey, so I always went with a friend. I'm guessing it's not much better, but hoping maybe it is?
I have been out on the ART alone at dusk a few times but it is a little scary. I stopped doing that. It might be ok during the busier daylight hours especially if you are on a bike. I prefer to go on the neighborhood trails (in Folsom) when I am alone. I wouldn't go out alone on the trail if I was closer to West Sac/Discovery Park or even west of Sac State...too isolated. There are too many other great areas to walk/bike like East Sac Fab 40's down that way.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:55 PM

130 posts, read 226,320 times
Quote:

One question I have, having not lived in Sac proper since the mid-80s, is how safe is the American River trail for a single woman for running or biking? When I last lived in Midtown it was a bit dicey, so I always went with a friend. I'm guessing it's not much better, but hoping maybe it is?
I'm from south Sac so not too sure about the trail, although I've heard it can be a hangout for the homeless.
As far as midtown is concerned crime, and violent crime, has skyrocketed there recently. Not a good area to move to right now, to say the least.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:00 AM

It hasn't really skyrocketed--more like a localized uptick. Still a problem to solve, but not a reason to avoid the neighborhood. Community groups are applying pressure to the city to increase police patrols and discourage entertainment venues that don't provide sufficient security.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:13 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,262,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
It hasn't really skyrocketed--more like a localized uptick. Still a problem to solve, but not a reason to avoid the neighborhood. Community groups are applying pressure to the city to increase police patrols and discourage entertainment venues that don't provide sufficient security.
I'm surprised you didn't blame the arena for the uptick in crime.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:18 AM

409 posts, read 957,325 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz
It is awesome to walk out of my house & get on a trail in Folsom. love it!!!
Quote:
Hmm, in light of what I just posted, maybe I should try there. I'm living in such a rural area right now I'm jonesing for a little city life, but there IS the light rail...
I dunno...I've read some things about those Folsom trails...

Reader input: Runners need to learn etiquette | Folsom Telegraph
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento