Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 02:56 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,345,774 times

Advertisements

my last thread didn't get much attention -- I know people love to lament about the 'way things used to be'

In your opinion, how has the area changed in the last 5-10 years? In what ways is it better or worse? Do you see progression happening in a positive way?

I'm trying to decide if I should return and in what ways I might be suprised. I'm interested in the current and future state of the city and state.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 03:46 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,287,780 times
10 years ago, North Natomas was mostly farmland. Today, it is where about 20% of the city lives. Even though it's pretty much the definition of a generic suburb (cul-de-sacs, "power centers" and nearly no public transit) it has had an effect by shifting a large, new population to the western part of the city.

Similarly, 10 years ago West Sacramento south of the locks for the Port of Sacramento were farmland--today, it is yet another instant suburb, again with cul-de-sacs and "power centers."

And, really, exactly the same thing happened in Elk Grove, Woodland, Roseville, Rocklin and Loomis. All of them are, to some extent, experiencing a period of collapse and abandonment, especially the ones farther out (Elk Grove's new mall is a half-built decaying wreck, Loomis' new suburbs are being abandoned.) The central city experienced a period of speculation and overreaching, resulting in some projects being built and successfully executed, some being half-built and faltering, and others leaving big holes in the ground. Because a lot of the people who moved into those suburbs are Bay Area or Los Angeles migrants who are used to heading to a central city to play on the weekends, Midtown sees a lot more activity than it used to, while downtown is still kind of struggling--parts are much better, other parts are much worse. Rents and property prices got very sky-high and are kind of sinking back down again, but instead of mass abandonments like the suburbs, the result is people taking advantage of bargains, staying put in their "flipper" properties and fixing them up, and an arrested level of gentrification. Bike culture and street culture are kind of exploding.

South Sacramento and North Sacramento are still in rough shape, but the city is finally realizing that our ethnic diversity should be a strength, not a shame, and local "foodies" are drawing attention to the culinary delights of ethnic eateries on Stockton Boulevard. Plus, oh yeah, we have "foodies" now.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:57 PM

haha. well I'm from Chicago. I became a 'foodie' in the Sacramento area just due to the most beautiful grocery stores and produce selections I'd ever seen! you guys don't know how good you have it!

So, if this is all to be believed...the city of Sacramento is taking off wheras burbs like Rocklin are being abandonned? I don't think it is exactly what you said, but something like that?

Old 06-13-2010, 04:08 PM

I wouldn't put it that literally--things are tough all over, between layoffs, furloughs, and the simultaneous massive deficits at city, county and state levels. But the central city seems to be weathering the storm well: for every place that goes out of business, another seems to open just as quickly. The condo projects that got built are mostly switching to rentals, but the rentals appear to be renting.

Roseville is kind of taking off and turning into its own kind of city: a very suburban one, and likely to remain so as long as there is room to grow outward rather than upward. The Roseville Auction, which used to be out in the middle of an open field with nothing around it but the railyard and some farmhouses, is now completely surrounded by suburbs and office/commercial parks. Because of their relationship with Sacramento, they are turning into the upper-income suburb of choice, and are getting their own strip of high-end restaurants. The Roseville mall is considered the high-end regional mall of choice these days--Arden is a distant second, Country Club is struggling, Downtown Plaza is nearly half-vacant and Florin Mall was demolished a couple years ago.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:04 PM

that's sad... I really liked the downtown plaza mall

Old 06-14-2010, 10:21 PM

771 posts, read 1,582,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
I wouldn't put it that literally--things are tough all over, between layoffs, furloughs, and the simultaneous massive deficits at city, county and state levels. But the central city seems to be weathering the storm well: for every place that goes out of business, another seems to open just as quickly. The condo projects that got built are mostly switching to rentals, but the rentals appear to be renting.

Roseville is kind of taking off and turning into its own kind of city: a very suburban one, and likely to remain so as long as there is room to grow outward rather than upward. The Roseville Auction, which used to be out in the middle of an open field with nothing around it but the railyard and some farmhouses, is now completely surrounded by suburbs and office/commercial parks. Because of their relationship with Sacramento, they are turning into the upper-income suburb of choice, and are getting their own strip of high-end restaurants. The Roseville mall is considered the high-end regional mall of choice these days--Arden is a distant second, Country Club is struggling, Downtown Plaza is nearly half-vacant and Florin Mall was demolished a couple years ago.
I actually think the malls in SMF suck compared to what's been built in my hometown of Des Moines. Jordan Creek is MUCH nicer than Roseville (although they could have come out of the same architect's autoCAD program). Arden, IMHO, becomes more and more gang-banger/ghetto daily. The mall itself isn't so bad, but the clientele have become progressively scarier. I will drive to Roseville or the outlets in Folsom before Arden if I'm going to mall shop. And even the Folsom outlets are getting gang bangy...

Old 06-14-2010, 11:30 PM

I think malls suck, regardless of location, my comparison is admittedly based on what I hear from those who go to malls. I pass through Downtown Plaza while walking around downtown but really don't stop anywhere except Macy's or the movie theater. I'm fine with the clientele, there just aren't many places in a mall where I'd want to shop. Even the shoe store where I buy shoes moved just outside the mall to 7th and K. I think I end up at Arden Fair about once every year or two, Birdcage even less, and only went to the Roseville Galleria once and have no plans to visit it again.

I'm sure the malls in a small midwestern city like Des Moines are far less "gang-bangery" than one in a city as diverse as Sacramento. But they're basically still malls.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:47 PM

downtown plaza though seems like it should bring people in to the city. The fact its vacating and...last time I was there it too was gang-bangy -- is pretty sad. You may not like malls, but a city mall should be an attraction and not something shady. (for lack of a better word).

Old 06-15-2010, 12:47 AM

"City mall" is a contradiction in terms. Cities don't need malls--in Sacramento's central city, if you want to shop, there are plenty of stores on the streets. Midtown has actually done pretty well as a shopping, dining and entertainment district. Macy's does fine, as the only department store left downtown, but you don't need to enter the mall to go there.

The idea of a particular part of town where you only shop (along with another part of town where you only work, and another part of town where you only sleep, each accessible from each other only by car) is a uniquely suburban invention. It has no place in a city.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:37 AM

379 posts, read 786,016 times
I'm new to the Sacramento area, but one thing I've heard mentioned by locals is that Sacramento is gaining many more transplants from the Bay Area these days who have been priced out of the Bay Area housing market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento