Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2012, 10:13 AM

4 posts, read 8,649 times

Advertisements

Hi

Ive been doing research on where to rent homes and was wondering whether it is better to rent in elk grove (laguna west/ stoneLake community) or pocket near the river? We are a family with small kids so im wondering about safety, community feel and nearby parks or outdoor activities. I have read some opinions of both places on this board but the newest comments are two years old or not really directly comparing the two areas.

Also, how is the traffic on I-5 from Elk Grove to Pocket in rush hour? Ive heard its better than CA 99 but is it bad? How long would it take on average from stonelake to right off Pocket road in the mornings?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 10:29 AM

18 posts, read 78,738 times
We moved to Elk Grove in July, I work in Davis so know the I-5 commute well. I get on I-5 between 8-8:15AM at Elk Grove Blvd., traffic is moving, but usually slows to a standstill once I get by the Laguna on ramp and can stay that way past the Pocket exit. Some mornings it may take 20-30 minutes to get to that spot. On the drive home between 5-6pm it's always bad, stop and go all the way. But on holidays and Fridays, it's usually a much better drive. We looked at homes in the Pocket area too and was put off by high prices and the need for flood insurance. Found a beautiful brand new home in Elk Grove, off Whitelock by the high school, and the price was unbeatable! It's a new neighborhood so not any parks yet, but there are quite a few families here and a ton of walking paths. As far as safety here goes, had my truck broken into the first week I moved here - wasn't at my home but in the parking lot of CA Family Fitness off Bond, which brought the harsh realization home that I wasn't in Davis anymore! Even in our new neighborhood, our neighbors had someone try to break into their home - thank goodness for ADT - but we think it was the day laborers working on the new homes down the street. But Elk Grove isn't unique in that regard, no place is really safe anymore; you just have to always be cognizant not to leave your valuables in the car, don't leave gates unlocked, garage doors open, etc. and get a home security system. Good luck in your search!

Old 12-30-2012, 10:47 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,336,654 times
I don't have any kids but last time I checked, Elk Grove have pretty decent schools. I lived in the Pocket Area from 2000-2010 and now in Elk Grove (2010-present). I feel these two areas are safe. Never once felt that my property or life was in any danger. But some posters here swear up and down that these two area are gang infested with low life....LFMAO, I will have to go ask my wife which gang we are in. ROFLMAO.

There is more traffic in Elk Grove, more commercial buildings, stores, bigger roads, faster driving...especially on Laguna Blvd. and Elk Grove Blvd. Pocket Area consist of a lot of smaller road, less store/commercial building. It's much safer to walk around Pocket area due to less car, especially speeding cars.

From my experience traffic on I-5 is heaven compare to 99. But it really depends on WHEN you get on the freeway. I usually leave to go to downtown earlier than most people. There have been times where I get there and it's just not moving. I live close to 99 but I rather drive to I-5 when ever I go to downtown during rush hour.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:17 AM

4 posts, read 8,649 times
We would be leaving more around 7-7:30am for the AM commute. Would there be less traffic on I 5 at this time?

Thanks for your responses. It does seem from prior posts that both those areas are going downhill and overrun by either petty theft or gangs and I'm grateful to know that there are some folks who believe that it is still realtively safe.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:23 PM

762 posts, read 2,033,185 times
Elk grove will have more amenities and good schools- although honestly I am not sure about the specificity of that areas particular school, generally the district has a good reputation (elk grove). The pocket is nice, but won't have the master planned community feel. With a few safety precautions, both will be perfectly fine. The only downside is when you go shopping in your area, you will see hoodlums and thugs.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:30 PM

18 posts, read 78,738 times
If you move to Elk Grove and your commute is between 7-7:30AM you should be okay RE: traffic to Pocket. There's no place really free from crime these days, but I do feel our neighborhood in Elk Grove is pretty safe. You just have to be aware of your surroundings and not be careless like leaving gates, windows and cars unlocked, etc. One thing I started in my old neighborhood is a neighborhood watch program; you might want to check that out in whatever area you choose to move to. I feel it really does make a difference being proactive in keeping your community as safe as possible, plus it's nice to know who your neighbors are.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:24 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,855,450 times
The earlier you get on the hwy for your commute, the better. 7am is better than 730.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
The earlier you get on the hwy for your commute, the better. 7am is better than 730.
Agreed

Old 01-02-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiesac View Post
We would be leaving more around 7-7:30am for the AM commute. Would there be less traffic on I 5 at this time?

Thanks for your responses. It does seem from prior posts that both those areas are going downhill and overrun by either petty theft or gangs and I'm grateful to know that there are some folks who believe that it is still realtively safe.

There is no such thing as the perfectly safe place. Just ask all those people from that town were all those poor children were gunned down a few weeks ago.

The best thing people can do is read up on how to be safe. How to not be a victim and limit your exposure to being a victim. Use common sense and follow your God given instinct.

Learn how to secure and protect your house. I secure my house in a way, most people rather go elsewhere. God forbid but better my neighbor than me.

These aren't fool proof but it does go a long way to minimizing yourself from being a victim. Oh yeah, luck helps too.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:46 AM

56 posts, read 88,128 times
been to both pocket & elk grove and prefer the pocket..nice area, nice neighborhoods and houses for decent prices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento