Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 04:09 PM

66 posts, read 119,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Sacramento has a much lower cost of living than the Bay Area, LA or San Diego. Look, I just compared the Bay Area, LA or San Diego to Sacramento! The Earth did not fly into the Sun as a result.

Please explain to me how taxes are somehow higher in Sacramento than they are in other California urban regions. Then, please explain how cost of living in those areas are lower than Sacramento. You claim that it's "true for a lot of people," and I don't believe you, since the facts say otherwise.

Housing Affordability Index - First-Time Buyer

Here's what I see in the Business Journal:

Deal gives Aerojet a big boost - Sacramento Business Journal

Rail service to Bay Area will accelerate - Sacramento Business Journal

Sacramento bankruptcy filings decline dramatically - Sacramento Business Journal

Downtown Plaza mall rumored to have a buyer - Sacramento Business Journal

Immigrants drawn to small biz ownership - Sacramento Business Journal

Optimism returning to office market - Sacramento Business Journal

Rather than speculate, can you produce any facts as to why they left? If you can't, then I'd suggest that you have no idea why they left. It also doesn't make much sense in context--you're trying to argue that Sacramento's taxes and cost of living make it undesirable compared to other California regions, and your example is a company that moved to Texas, not to more appealing parts of California. How does this support your argument? I'd say...it doesn't!
You seem to be the type that wants to argue for the sake of arguing. The Bay Area, LA, and San Diego are so dissimilar in size, population, etc that I'm not even sure how you could compare them.

Regarding Waste Connections (from Sacbee):

======================
The company, one of the fastest-growing public companies in the Sacramento area, has been threatening for months to move, saying it was unhappy with the business climate in California.

"Our expanding geographic reach and expected continuing growth required us to make an objective assessment of the appropriate location for our corporate headquarters. The Woodlands offers our employees an attractive, lower cost, and more centrally located community well serviced by two major airports," said Ronald J. Mittelstaedt, chairman and chief executive, in a press release.

"Every corporate employee has been offered the opportunity to relocate, and almost all are expected to move."
======================

So your justification that Sacramento has a healthy economy consists of: (1) a single company within the defense industry that makes its money from the government (2) increased rail service by Amtrak (another government subsidized venture) (3) declining bankruptcies (4) an old mall that gets very little foot traffic (5) small business jobs for immigrants (6) speculative optimism by realtors?
I'm willing to guess that you work for the State or city/local government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 08:19 PM

484 posts, read 854,510 times
I have to agree with WBURG. He/She is a very valuable and reliable poster.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:12 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,838,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacoftomatoes View Post
Oh by the way, the running joke about Sacramento is that it's an armpit. The only good thing about Sacramento is that it's close to wherever you actually WANT to be.
I've NEVER heard that about Sacramento....Bakersfield has always held that honor.Urban Thesaurus: armpit of california

Although, now when I check online I see that Fresno has been added to the list. Urban Dictionary: armpit of california

This is funny, a couple of goatroppers rapping. LOL

arm pit of the state bakersfield california - YouTube

Last edited by caligirlz; 07-29-2012 at 09:25 PM..

Old 07-29-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peerage View Post
I am so happy for you. ;-)

Old 07-29-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I've NEVER heard that about Sacramento....Bakersfield has always held that honor.Urban Thesaurus: armpit of california

Although, now when I check online I see that Fresno has been added to the list. Urban Dictionary: armpit of california

This is funny, a couple of goatroppers rapping. LOL

arm pit of the state bakersfield california - YouTube
well there's a first time for everything and now you've heard it. :-)

Old 07-29-2012, 11:16 PM

484 posts, read 854,510 times
Quote:
I am so happy for you. ;-)

sacoftomatoes Did you end up having a rotten tomato weekend? Seems you are swinging your rotten tomatoes at all of us on every thread you post on. Throw that rotten sac away and come back with some positive produce to post....its getting old and moldy toots

Old 07-30-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
sacoftomatoes Did you end up having a rotten tomato weekend? Seems you are swinging your rotten tomatoes at all of us on every thread you post on. Throw that rotten sac away and come back with some positive produce to post....its getting old and moldy toots
I wrote how happy I was for you and suddenly I had a "rotten tomato weekend"? Is this just a reading comprehension issue you have?

Old 07-30-2012, 12:16 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,738,090 times
Tell your wife that Sacramento is a beautiful city with lots of outdoor recreation and lots of parks. Tell her I lived in South Sac just across I-5 from the Pocket and a ten minute drive from Bogle . She'll recognize THAT name if she knows wine at all. Tell her the State Capitol is officially a museum, she should take a tour or become a docent. and it's right near one of the most outstanding railroad museums in the country (everyone loves it, and the Zoo, and Old Sac and Land Park.) I don't have time to list all the wonderful things about Sac but if I didn't own a house here, I'd probably move back there. Oh, and go to the Old Sac cemetery on the days when they have docents in costumes. One of the Earp brothers is buried there. You will love Sacramento. Have a great move!.

Last edited by eureka1; 07-30-2012 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: remove reference to kids

Old 07-30-2012, 12:21 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,925,355 times
Quote:
I wrote how happy I was for you and suddenly I had a "rotten tomato weekend"? Is this just a reading comprehension issue you have?
we always called it sacatomato in my house too (bay area). my verdict is still out if it's now better or worse!

Old 07-30-2012, 12:40 PM

4,025 posts, read 3,302,099 times
Quote:

If you want to agree with someone because of the merits of the arguments that they present fine, but agreeing with someone because they are regular long time posters is inane.

As for Sacoftomatoes, If you want to criticize Sacramento that is your prerogative, but I think your criticism would be more persuasive if you got away from the name calling and focused more on the substantive problems you see with Sacramento. I too find a lot of the civic and neighborhood boosterism on this forum tiresome. I see some value in presenting a balance perspective, but name calling really isn't helpful here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento