Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 10:22 AM

14 posts, read 47,024 times

Advertisements

Hey folks! We're moving to Carmichael from Boston October 5th. Any advice you want to lay our way is appreciated.

See you soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 12:58 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,704,361 times
Well what's your age and do you have kids - that will give a better picture of what you might love!

But WELCOME - I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Sacramento area - it is VERY different from Boston though - so please be aware of the culture shock.

I moved to Seattle and I'd give my right arm to move back to Sac area, it just was that wonderful for me.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:20 PM

14 posts, read 47,024 times
Well we're both middle aged with no kids.

Husband used to be a musician and writes for a rock magazine. He likes punk, jazz and blues.

I'm Spanish and like hanging out with him.

Just general questions like what are the good stores or supermarkets and things to check out.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:47 PM

Okay - first...Carmichael is not the happening place to be (are you renting? Then I'd suggest moving) Carmichael is the affordable family area - I'm not fond of it, but like I said it's affordable for families. It's nothing but falling apart strip malls to me - and a bit dirty (My best friend lives there and likes it, but even she said they'd move back to Midtown as soon as their kids are grown)

You need to move to Midtown.

midtowngrid.com, Directory for Sacramento, Midtown, Downtown Sacramento, East Sacramento and Old Saccramento Business Directory for shopping, restaurants, hotels, Sacramento's 2nd Saturday Art Walk, Entertainment and more!

Old 09-21-2007, 03:49 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,224,933 times
Supermarket shopping is centered at Fair Oaks and Manzanita. You might also want to go north on Manzanita or San Juan to Madison, a lot of shopping at Madison and Sunrise. You will love the place, very green and laid back.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:14 PM

70 posts, read 379,418 times
Default Carmichael is a laidback area

that used to be a place where kids could play and families could live with little crime and was very desirable. Its now an area that is dotted with shabby apartment complexes, rundown business's / strip malls etc. The effects of the economy are evident when entering that part of town. The main road into Carmichael which is Fair Oaks Blvd looks more & more ghetto as the years pass. Its really sad, because that was once a really neat place to live. Ancil Hofmann park was nearby and the area in general was safer than it is now.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbsacto View Post
The main road into Carmichael which is Fair Oaks Blvd looks more & more ghetto as the years pass.
Exactly what I was thinking

I can't imagine anyone who is into music or the art scene, that would ENJOY Carmichael, it's good for affordable family stuff ( see this as not as nice as Roseville and Folsom) and a better school district the Sacramento

GO to Midtown - still even Davis is better (and greener)

Old 09-21-2007, 08:44 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,224,933 times
Man you guys are hard on Carmichael, average income per household was $55 K and average home was $440K (2005 data). Both are within average for California:

https://www.city-data.com/city/Carmic...alifornia.html

Old 09-22-2007, 09:47 AM

375 posts, read 1,726,103 times
There are some nice places in Carmichael. They have good schools. Not all of it is run down.

MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2006: Carmichael, CA snapshot

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 04:34 AM..

Old 09-22-2007, 10:28 AM

I'm not saying it's run down - I'm just saying for Hip music people with no kids - it's not really the most "happening" place to be.

I like the San Juan school district - if I was back in Sac I'd be there too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento