Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you recommend?
Roseville 7 35.00%
Folsom 11 55.00%
Granite Bay 3 15.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 07:17 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times

Advertisements

I said Roseville. It's part of Placer County. But you have to pick a nice part of Roseville, because the newer developments in the west start feeling too much like Antelope. Folsom is quaint because it has the river and light rail access, but it is part of Sacramento County and their school district is shared with Rancho Cordova (not good). The historic downtown is too small and you won't be using it all the time. Roseville, OTOH, had better schools and its location on 80 puts you on a more direct path with the Gold Country and foothill locations such as Auburn, Nevada City, and Grass Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 11:14 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Default Go Roseville!

I think the OP should explore the different neighborhoods at different times of the day/night, and days of the week to get a feel for the 2 cities, and also go exploring with a realtor.

I find it somewhat amuzing that the things being said about Roseville, are more frequently said about Folsom (top rated schools, access to the mountains & communities). I think the traffic is equally bad on 80 as 50. Folsom is a smaller community than Roseville, and maintains some of that smaller-town charm which I personally like. Yes, the traffic is awful through town especially on the weekends, but it doesn't have that race track feel to the majority of the main throughfares, like Roseville. .......But, by all means, go to Roseville, "it's s-o-o-o much better."

Old 03-27-2012, 09:04 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
Folsom does share a school district with Rancho, but they do not share schools. Folsom kids go to Folsom schools, rancho kids go to the schools in rancho. It's similar to how east antelope and granite bay fall with in the roseville unified but the kids still go to school in their respective areas. Hell when I was growing up east antelope kids got bussed into Roseville before they built Antelope high.

On a whole, Folsom schools do slightly better than Roseville at all levels. That's not to say Roseville schools are bad, but Folsom is 'top notch' when compared to the rest of the schools in California.

Folsom does have a smaller downtown and it is very quaint. Nice places to eat and drink with a great setting near the water. I like how they have kept the rustic wild west feel. Roseville has a larger downtown and it feels more polished. But it has a more impersonal "anywhere suburbia, USA" feel to it.

Folsom has the best setting of the region. Right on the lake, with beautiful hills on the far eastern parts of town going as high as 800 feet.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Folsom does share a school district with Rancho, but they do not share schools. Folsom kids go to Folsom schools, rancho kids go to the schools in rancho. It's similar to how east antelope and granite bay fall with in the roseville unified but the kids still go to school in their respective areas. Hell when I was growing up east antelope kids got bussed into Roseville before they built Antelope high.

On a whole, Folsom schools do slightly better than Roseville at all levels. That's not to say Roseville schools are bad, but Folsom is 'top notch' when compared to the rest of the schools in California.

Folsom does have a smaller downtown and it is very quaint. Nice places to eat and drink with a great setting near the water. I like how they have kept the rustic wild west feel. Roseville has a larger downtown and it feels more polished. But it has a more impersonal "anywhere suburbia, USA" feel to it.

Folsom has the best setting of the region. Right on the lake, with beautiful hills on the far eastern parts of town going as high as 800 feet.
Agreed, but let's keep it a secret, 'k

Old 04-04-2012, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 9,715 times
Default Roseville or Folsom?

Thanks for the input. I am still confused as to where to go but seems like
we are leaning more towards Folsom simply because I hear the schools are better...Folsom High is top rated high school which obviously is a nice plus.

As far as being proactive on the neighbor thing...I agree. Time to pull out the BBQ and see who will come over.

I'm new to this sight so I'm sorry for not getting on here sooner.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:10 AM

1 posts, read 5,039 times
Red face What did you do?

We are looking to make a move from Portland to Folsom. Most people think we're crazy, but half of my husbands team works our of Folsom and we won't have to look for work there. We've grown weary of rain and grey skies, and lots of time stuck indoors when we want to be out enjoying them. So what did the OP do? Where did you find a house? Are you there now? How are the schools?
We can't decided where to even begin looking! Granite Bay? Placerville? Folsom?

Old 06-20-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICN2YOU View Post
We are looking to make a move from Portland to Folsom. Most people think we're crazy, but half of my husbands team works our of Folsom and we won't have to look for work there. We've grown weary of rain and grey skies, and lots of time stuck indoors when we want to be out enjoying them. So what did the OP do? Where did you find a house? Are you there now? How are the schools?
We can't decided where to even begin looking! Granite Bay? Placerville? Folsom?
Are you going to be renting or buying?
If I worked in Folsom, that's where I'd start looking unless you really don't mind a commute. Traffic is very heavy coming down the hill from Placerville, and is frequently moving at a snails pace. BUT, if you really want to live in the foothills, then it may be worth it. Granite Bay to Folsom is not too bad of a commute on surface roads (no freeway).

I moved to Folsom 2 years ago. I rented for a year (apartment), then bought last year. I had a fantastic realtor & was moved in within 4 of months of beginning my search. I looked at all the options & neighborhoods in my price range. I also drove & walked around the community at different times of the day to get a feel for the pulse of that area. I LOVE my neighborhood!

Here's a rental agency based in Folsom: Home Run Property Management Sacramento: Serving The Greater Sacramento Area: Sacramento, El Dorado, Yolo, and Placer
I also like this one, but don't see many listings for Folsom: Sacramento rental house for rent Sacramento rentals home for lease property management Folsom managers renting leasing rental property Mckinley Park East Sacramento Midtown grid, Landpark , Folson, Elk Grove, Roseville, duplex, condo and apartment re

Last edited by caligirlz; 06-20-2012 at 08:28 AM..

Old 06-20-2012, 08:39 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
For the highest rated schools close to work, you can look in Folsom, El Dorado Hills, Cameron Park, Shingle Springs, and on out. Granite Bay is also very nice but depending on where you live, it can be a bit of a traffic issue with a lot of lights and everyone feeding over the bridge into Folsom.

Rentals can be tricky. Look at the links in the above post or just do a search on property management companies in the area. There isn't a good site that brings all the options together.

For those with kids in this area, the Regal Cinema in EDH has started their summer kids movie series. Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 10am there is a G and PG movie for $1. Have fun!

Old 06-20-2012, 11:48 PM

10 posts, read 20,660 times
Personally, I prefer Folsom over Granite Bay and Placerville, but it's all about your lifestyle, what you enjoy doing, what kind of neighborhood and town amenities you are interested in.

Placerville is about 20 to 40 minutes from Folsom, depending on traffic and which part of Placerville you're in. Placerville is an old Gold Country town in the Sierras, and it does get cold up there in winter. It has a cool little main street, and some nice old homes. Away from the city center you can find larger homes, but it is not really an easy place to get around in, with narrow, winding streets. Also, unemployment is a bit higher, and they do have a homeless and druggie population. Still, a nice town and I've sold several homes up there.

Granite Bay is more of a bedroom community, but being between Folsom and Roseville, there's easy access to shopping and restaurants. It is generally flat, with a mix of old and new homes, and houses can easily go for half a million or more.

Folsom is my preference. A modern small city with an old small town charm. Good shopping, restaurants and other amenities, a state of the art performing arts center, 2 lakes, miles of trails, a great community college, wonderful sense of community, and lots of events in our historic district. Something for everyone.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:19 AM

409 posts, read 957,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myamolly View Post
Hi,

My family and I will be relocating to the Sacramento area this Summer...we have checked out a few suburbs and really need some good input on which city/suburb is the best to raise our family.

We are looking for a very FRIENDLY community...neighbors who BBQ, wash their car in the driveway, say hello when you walk by... people who actually smile! Basically, I want my kids to be able to ride their bikes to friends houses and play outside feeling safe.

Any advise would be soooo appreciated
Hello!

The easy answer is to mention any number of suburbs that ring Sacramento

However, it depends on the budget you have set aside for your home and home size. Additionally, commute times and traffic are also a factor for some which depends on job location.

If you have a generous housing budget then the burbs typically mentioned: Folsom, Roseville, El Dorado Hills, Granite Bay will offer excellent schools and lower crime and plenty of retail and dining (particularly Roseville).

Commute would also be a factor. For example if you're employed in the southern end of Sacramento County you may want to research the Pocket area or Elk Grove (you'll find postings about how bad Elk Grove has become but frankly the dicey areas are in the minority and there are a number of good neighborhoods and excellent schools plus lots of retail and dining choices).

Then there are suburbs such as Fair Oaks, Carmichael,Citrus Heights, and Rancho Cordova. More care is required in selecting a neighborhood in these places because it makes a difference in terms of schools and/or crime.

Here are some links:

Schools...GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

See which local areas have the most top-ranked schools - Data Center - The Sacramento Bee

Crime...California Local Crime Map, Crime Statistics and Real-Time Alerts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento