Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 09:29 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,407,184 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Rocklin or Roseville. Having just moved to area, I think it's pretty nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 06:18 PM

17 posts, read 39,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Most of the city of Sacramento is, for all practical purposes, suburban neighborhoods. So would "Sacramento" count as a valid response to your question? In my opinion, it has the best attractions and things that make it a good city to live in.
South Sacramento? That area along Florin Rd? Oak Park maybe? I know, Del Paso Heights, Uptown? I know, North Natomas where people get robbed in their garages. But at least the neighborhood is newer, right?

That leaves a few areas like Land Park and Curtis Park. You will pay twice as much for housing and you still have to deal with the ghetto element wandering around the neighborhood at night looking for trouble.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:22 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,172,743 times
South Placer county. End of story.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:46 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,471,994 times
Lincoln, if you'd like to be out in the country a bit, but still reasonably close to Sacto and urban amenities. Still affordable too.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:57 PM

70 posts, read 197,079 times
Default placerville of course

davis nice for city..placerville shingle springs..near costco of course

Old 08-17-2010, 04:19 AM

20 posts, read 39,725 times
Land Park and Fair Oaks are really nice as is parts of Midtown. Older homes with older growth trees. Lots of shade friendlier people very clean safe neighbourhood.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:50 PM

13 posts, read 260,901 times
I grew up in Davis and went to high school in Fair Oaks. It's remarkable how little I know the rest of the area - most of the time, you're just driving through.

Davis is the epitome of medium-sized liberal college towns. The public schools are great, it's very safe and picturesque, lots of parks and green spaces and bicycles. Downsides: housing is expensive, and sometimes City Council passes dumb ordinances just for the hell of it. In short, it would be a GREAT place to raise kids, if you can afford it.

Fair Oaks is a mix of rural, suburban and rich. Up until the 1980s, a lot of it was farmland. You can still find little shacks that look like holdovers from the Great Depression, probably with moonshine in the bathtub. Other neighborhoods are dull and middle-class (but is that what you're looking for?), and here and there you'll find rather large mansions. It's what happens when you develop an area haphazardly with no advance planning. I have the impression that the public high schools are good, went to a private school myself.

Neighboring towns like Carmichael and Orangevale are similar. Anyway that's the impression I got driving through.

Hope that helps!

Old 08-18-2010, 09:31 PM

771 posts, read 1,584,005 times
Of all the places I've lived since finishing grad school in 1987, Sacramento has the worst suburbs and the highest concentration of ghetto of anyplace I've lived.

Des Moines, the Twin Cities, Indianapolis, Dayton (really nice suburbs and their old "streetcar suburbs" are nice too), DC, Richmond, Jackson, MS are all much nicer and more affordable for what the average wage pays.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:43 PM

17 posts, read 37,246 times
The best places to live in Sacramento if you want great schools in Suburban areas that are actually part of the Sacramento area I would look into Roseville/Rocklin/Granite Bay areas. Other places nearby are Lincoln. Then as mentioned if you go up into the mountains Auburn and Placerville are also great places.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:28 PM

402 posts, read 1,021,966 times
I think both Roseville and Granite Bay are beautiful. Both are a little more hilly in terrain than Sac, which I know some people do not prefer, but I love. Both feel a bit more vibrant and clean, with nice houses and restaurants. I am a big fan of both places and visit one of the two almost every weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento