Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 11:34 AM

59 posts, read 89,890 times

Advertisements

I'm a great fisherman. Good in lakes and ocean. i'm moving to Sac in a few weeks but have never really fished rivers before. Is there a trick to fish the American RIver (it;s about 50 yrds from my apartment). Is the river fast flowing? What type of tackle/bait to use? What luck have you had there? thanks

P.S. I'm right by the Howe ave access to the American River
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 11:53 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
Miller Park - good for catfish

By NImbus Hatchery - good for Salmon.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:28 PM

248 posts, read 803,133 times
Ya, the river is a little high & fast- nothing unusual for this time of year, just try not to wade out too far-assuming your bank fishing.

That's one of my favorite local areas to fish, I caught my biggest striper ever up stream from the boat launch. You can also check out the island when the water level drops- it's easier to access from the northside of the river.

Stripers-Try some top water plugs or Rapalas in the early AM or dusk-med spin tackle with at least 10lb test.
You can also use some sardines and do some bottom fishing if you feel like kickin' it and drink a few cold ones.

Shad-not sure if they're still running, but try some painted *** heads (red/white) with 3/4 0z sliding sinker and about 30" or so of leader below the barrel swivel.

Black Bass- there's a few little ponds along the Howe Ave. side that could still have some Black Bass at this time of year. Hike around and check it out, if you go up river about 3/4 mile or so, there's another set of ponds (try to find where the power lines cross the river) that's approx. in the area of Glenbrook park if you're driving on La Riviera drive.
There's a few honey holes (at least there used to be) if your lookin' for black bass and numerous trails to explore. Use plastics in those ponds- there's going to be a lot cover to work around and expect to lose a few rigs in the process.

There's also some misc "trash fish" that you might hook into unexpectedly. There's carp, squawfish, sacramento pike <they may be the same fish, I've heard them called a few different names depending on who your talking to.
Here's a species breakdown-
List of All Fish

You can also go downstream behind Sac.State and try your luck down there- there's quite a few spots along the stretch between Sac State & Watt Ave

You can also get bait at the 7-11 right there at La Riviera & Howe

Old 07-15-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactoslacker View Post
Ya, the river is a little high & fast- nothing unusual for this time of year, just try not to wade out too far-assuming your bank fishing.

That's one of my favorite local areas to fish, I caught my biggest striper ever up stream from the boat launch. You can also check out the island when the water level drops- it's easier to access from the northside of the river.

Stripers-Try some top water plugs or Rapalas in the early AM or dusk-med spin tackle with at least 10lb test.
You can also use some sardines and do some bottom fishing if you feel like kickin' it and drink a few cold ones.

Shad-not sure if they're still running, but try some painted *** heads (red/white) with 3/4 0z sliding sinker and about 30" or so of leader below the barrel swivel.

Black Bass- there's a few little ponds along the Howe Ave. side that could still have some Black Bass at this time of year. Hike around and check it out, if you go up river about 3/4 mile or so, there's another set of ponds (try to find where the power lines cross the river) that's approx. in the area of Glenbrook park if you're driving on La Riviera drive.
There's a few honey holes (at least there used to be) if your lookin' for black bass and numerous trails to explore. Use plastics in those ponds- there's going to be a lot cover to work around and expect to lose a few rigs in the process.

There's also some misc "trash fish" that you might hook into unexpectedly. There's carp, squawfish, sacramento pike <they may be the same fish, I've heard them called a few different names depending on who your talking to.
Here's a species breakdown-
List of All Fish

You can also go downstream behind Sac.State and try your luck down there- there's quite a few spots along the stretch between Sac State & Watt Ave

You can also get bait at the 7-11 right there at La Riviera & Howe
What if i'm fishing from the banks of the river? Should i let my line drift down river and then reel back in? Or let it sit with weight (assuming i use bait?)

Old 07-15-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsacguy31 View Post
What if i'm fishing from the banks of the river? Should i let my line drift down river and then reel back in? Or let it sit with weight (assuming i use bait?)
If using lures,cast up-stream and depending on lure type, you can let sink for a few seconds and then start your retrieve.
However, I've had stripers explode on my lure the second it hits the water-so ya, you might get skunked or have the best day ever,that's what I love about fishing the American.
And yes to the second question, just try not to drag your rig to close to the bottom when your bring the line back in to check the bait. Lots of submerged trees, branches and other misc debris to get snagged on. You'll get the hang of it after a few times.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactoslacker View Post
If using lures,cast up-stream and depending on lure type, you can let sink for a few seconds and then start your retrieve.
However, I've had stripers explode on my lure the second it hits the water-so ya, you might get skunked or have the best day ever,that's what I love about fishing the American.
And yes to the second question, just try not to drag your rig to close to the bottom when your bring the line back in to check the bait. Lots of submerged trees, branches and other misc debris to get snagged on. You'll get the hang of it after a few times.
And when i use bait, how should i rig it up? What kind of bait is at that 7-11?

Old 07-15-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsacguy31 View Post
And when i use bait, how should i rig it up? What kind of bait is at that 7-11?
Depends what your fishing for-
Striper for example, you can use frozen sardines, cut a filet off maybe 2-3" long, thread it onto the hook (I forget what hook size- I'll check my tackle when I get home later) and then you wrap some thread around the freshly cut piece of bait to secure it on the hook.
This is done so when the shakers come, they won't strip your bait right away.
The shakers are the undersized stripers that will nibble and "shake" your bait thinking your getting a good hit-kinda annoying, but at least you know there's some action. Where there's small fish, the big ones can't be too far behind.

There are other baits to use for stripers, but this is how I usually do it if I'm bait fishing. The only draw back is the bait will attract meat bees, so try to keep the bait covered and away from where you have your rig set up or have a designated "bait cooler".

I like to use at least 12lb test when using this method and a fairly stiff 7ft rod and maybe 3/4-1oz sinker. Rig it up so it has a sliding sinker and about 24-30" of leader after the barrel swivel w/single hook. Always check the regs before you head out and make sure you aren't using anything that the wardens will ding you on- and of course, have your fishing license with you.

The 7-11 I mentioned earlier will have the usual- mini & large nightcrawlers-good for bass fishin', but it's been awhile since I bought from there.

As for sardines, you can get them at The Fisherman's Warehouse on 9035 Folsom Blvd. Fisherman's Warehouse Online
or you can head down to Broadway Bait Rod & Gun
Broadway Bait Rod & Gun - Google Maps

Broadway fishing report # 448-7630

Old 01-30-2016, 02:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,580 times
Hi where can I fishing carp in sacramento plz someone help me about address???

Old 02-04-2016, 11:10 AM

Carp?? I've seen plenty in the American river, you can see them from the Guy West Bridge. The American is also pretty low right now (but not for long if Folsom keeps filling up) but in the spring there's a few ponds in the Arden pond area that fill up with spawning carp. It's been several years since I've been down there but it was so thick with carp you could practically walk across the pond.

There's also pond at Southside park with large carp. I've accidentally caught some big ones while fishing for bass, but this was at least 20yrs ago and they may have been all fished out by now but it's worth a try.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:59 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,421 times
One of the best rigs for any river is a medium hook with a worm. Put just enough weight on it that it bounces of the bottom. Throw it to your 10 o'clock and drift it on down through hole or at the edge of a seam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento