Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 06:09 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,883,585 times

Advertisements

Oh I saw the old building and its inhabitants, but who thought it would be a good idea to replace a dirty scummy looking building with a clean scummy looking building? Every time I see it, I think that it's still a work in progress and that's a bunch of commercial paneling that's waiting to be covered up with a finished product. Rochester never was and never will be Art Deco, someone should have informed the architect of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 11:44 PM

1,293 posts, read 5,003,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Oh I saw the old building and its inhabitants, but who thought it would be a good idea to replace a dirty scummy looking building with a clean scummy looking building? Every time I see it, I think that it's still a work in progress and that's a bunch of commercial paneling that's waiting to be covered up with a finished product. Rochester never was and never will be Art Deco, someone should have informed the architect of that.
That building is not art deco. Art deco buildings usually have an ornament on the top. Ie, Chrystler building, Buffalo City Hall etc. Eh, I still think its good move. The river should be more expensive for real estate. I imagine the builder also has some type of budget and can't afford luxury highrises. Either way we are displacing little Somolia.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:14 AM

1,891 posts, read 3,458,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
That building is not art deco. Art deco buildings usually have an ornament on the top. Ie, Chrystler building, Buffalo City Hall etc. Eh, I still think its good move. The river should be more expensive for real estate. I imagine the builder also has some type of budget and can't afford luxury highrises. Either way we are displacing little Somolia.
Little Somalia it was.

The housing which was proposed a while back was a mix bag of affordable, mid-range, and higher-end, with a park in the middle of it. Anything would be an improvement over that Soviet-era looking monstrosity that was there for years. I lived on Averill for a year about 10 years ago, and the long-time neighbors said they'd complained to the city about that awful ghetto housing going back to the 70's.

The end of Alexander right by there needs work, too. There were some crack houses in that area going back several years, and there was a murder in the area back in '01. Not a place to hang out at after dark.

With development there and across the river, it'll shine up an area that's looked like garbage and under-developed for decades. Corn Hill Landing was a cruddy looking area after the old rail yard was torn out. Now it looks great, in fact it probably looks better since the last time I saw it ('07).

Old 04-15-2010, 05:43 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,727,340 times
that area is a night and day difference compared to 10 years ago. Lot's more businesses have popped up on South ave, A very large building is going up right now with looks like it will be retail/apartments, replacing an empty lot.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
Not every building has to have an ornament. Look at the Art Deco District in South Beach, Miami. When I think of Art Deco, I think of bright and mixed colors grabbing your attention from everything else. And it doesn't always look pretty. Just like that new building. While it may not carry the true essence of art deco, it's somewhat close. All of those bright, pastel blues and yellows gives it a very retro feel, and it looks down right horrid.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Not every building has to have an ornament. Look at the Art Deco District in South Beach, Miami. When I think of Art Deco, I think of bright and mixed colors grabbing your attention from everything else. And it doesn't always look pretty. Just like that new building. While it may not carry the true essence of art deco, it's somewhat close. All of those bright, pastel blues and yellows gives it a very retro feel, and it looks down right horrid.
Art Deco does not equal bright and mixed colors. The building in the SW does not in any way resemble an Art Deco building nor a building trying to look Art Deco.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:49 PM

Hmm, South Beach must have lied to me then

Old 04-15-2010, 08:50 PM

Some of the buildings in miami have the colors, but in other cities, the art deco buildings do not. Look at the ones in Roch and Buff

Old 04-15-2010, 09:14 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,458,982 times
The city finally tore down the Downtown Motor Lodge several years ago, but it was a vacant lot for some time. That would be cool if it's been redeveloped.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,040 times
I'd vote for the South Wedge over East any day. Check out southwedge.org (the neighborhood listserve), the South Wedge Planning Committee ([URL="http://www.swpc.org"]www.swpc.org[/URL]) and the Wedge newspaper. I've live in the Wedge, feel completely safe. It's close to Highland Park. On South Avenue you'll find Solera Wine Bar, Coffee Connection, two boutiques, a Cajun restaurant, etc. etc.
You could bike to the Medical Center.
Lots of community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area