Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 11:15 AM

7 posts, read 16,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
they tore town that housing project last year and have plans to build newer, nicer apartments.
Yes, actually I talked to the landlord about that. It is a $300 million project, as I recall, and they're planning on building apartments with river views, and maybe some shops. Should be nice revitalization for the area!

I personally wanted to be within walking distance of some yuppie-ish stuff, coffee shops and the like, but if this project works out as I understand it, it should be really nice for the upper Mount Hope area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 11:36 AM

1,891 posts, read 3,448,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisfudd View Post
Yes, actually I talked to the landlord about that. It is a $300 million project, as I recall, and they're planning on building apartments with river views, and maybe some shops. Should be nice revitalization for the area!

I personally wanted to be within walking distance of some yuppie-ish stuff, coffee shops and the like, but if this project works out as I understand it, it should be really nice for the upper Mount Hope area.
From Oxford there are a few different routes you could take to get to Strong/UofR, and the traffic isn't bad 'cause you'd be driving in from the less busy side of that area. Parking is an issue, though, and that would be my main concern.

You could take Goodman to Highland, that is Oxford to Monroe to Goodman, which runs across the city to Elmwood, then right on to Elmwood (westward) by the old Psych hospital, which takes you to Strong/UofR.

Oxford ends at University, which is where you'll find "yuppie stuff". There's a nice coffee shop/sandwich place in the old flat iron building called Starry Nites (they also carry bottled beer), a crafts and arts place in an old fire house right on University, and if you're a little more ambitious you could walk to downtown up East Ave, or over to Park Ave. where there are plenty of great places to eat and hang out.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:12 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
Quote:

that should be nice when it's done. That area is also a short walk to South ave, which has plenty of shops and restaurants.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:43 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,998,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
that should be nice when it's done. That area is also a short walk to South ave, which has plenty of shops and restaurants.
I like what they have done with the tower already, a simple change of colors makes it stand out. If we could get some additional population to move to the area, the river should be a prime real estate location. I would like to see how the project effects the safety of the south wedge area, particularly around South Ave.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:02 AM

232 posts, read 805,222 times
It'll be a 15 minute commute, even during rush hour. I live just down the street from you and work at Strong (i assume that's the medical center you're working at).

Quote:
Can anyone tell me about the traffic between Park Ave. and the med center? Is there a lot of traffic during commuting hours?

Old 04-12-2010, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,223 times
My son rents an apartment on Gregory and S. Clinton, 1 block from the Gregory and South Ave location you mentioned. Not a neighborhood for a woman living alone - there have been several "incidents" and he's only lived there for about 7 months. The East Ave location is by far your best bet as far as safety and general civility is concerned.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:14 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
I like what they have done with the tower already, a simple change of colors makes it stand out. If we could get some additional population to move to the area, the river should be a prime real estate location. I would like to see how the project effects the safety of the south wedge area, particularly around South Ave.
yes, the tearing down of the housing project to replace it with high-end river-view apartments is definitely a major step in the direction of gentrification that the south wedge neighborhood has been undergoing for the past several years. I really think it will soon be another Corn Hill.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:33 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
Once you get settled, the Brighton area might be worth looking into.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:59 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,070 times
Are you all talking about that disgusting looking building with all of the yellow and blue panels on it?

Old 04-14-2010, 12:41 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,998,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Are you all talking about that disgusting looking building with all of the yellow and blue panels on it?
Apparently you didn't see the old building.....or what lived beneath it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area