Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 06:49 PM

612 posts, read 1,843,166 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone;

I am visiting my best friend in Rochester about possibly the weekend before Thanksgiving. Most likely it'll be a Friday to Monday thing and then we will fly back to our hometown in Kansas for Thanksgiving.

Anyway, when I travel to other cities/states I like to experience what the city has to offer.

I will be staying with him at his apartment on campus (Rochester Institute of Technology). I haven't a clue what to visit around the area and he isn't very familiar with the area as well since he is mostly focused on his studies.

What I would like to do:
1) Visit a good BBQ restaurant; bar/pub and grill; or any Mexican restaurant (random I know lol)
2) Nightlife?? Most likely I will go out once but I'm sure some of his buddies will have a party going on. I'm in my early 20s.
3) Places to visit: I know it's cold and most likely snowing at the time but I would like to visit some scenic outdoor areas. Also, any attractions that are open (musuems....)

I'm not too sure about transportation since I'm flying out there and I know he doesn't have a car so hopefully some of y'all will know some good places reasonably close to the campus (no not walking distance of course lol). If we have to take public transportation then so be it.

My budget is about $300 (not including airfare) so I know it's not alot but should be able to get me around for a few days.

Thanks and if you have any questions let me know!

Last edited by Johnny Bananas; 09-28-2009 at 07:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 08:05 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times
If you don't have a car and are by RIT, it will be tough. RIT is in the burbs, not the city. Its surrounded by boring strip mall land with nothing unique. There is public transportation you can take to get in the city.
If you like BBQ, there is Dinosaur BBQ, Sticky Lips and Beale Street. All have great food. I like the atmosphere of the dino the best, but the food at sticky lips better.
My favorite Mexican place is Monte Alban in Irondequoit.
For nightlife it depends on what you are into. The East End has over 20 bars/clubs ranging from more upscale dance places to hole in the wall bars. Monroe ave has a good amount of bars that are a bit more relaxed that cater to the college/early 20s crowd. The south wedge has some bars that cater to more of a hipster crowd.
Attractions: the memorial art gallery is great. Eastman house is great. If you like outdoors stuff, taking a trip to high falls offers a good view

Old 09-29-2009, 12:17 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,589,115 times
All I can say is don't go to a Mexican restaurant in Rochester. If your used to authentic Mexican food you will be hard pressed to find it. Maria's in Webster is the closest I have fond but the menu is very small. Monte Alban's if I'm correct is on Ridge. they used to be ok but the last time I went there the cheese sauce as cheese wiz! I wont go back! I do need to try the Chipotle Grill in Henrietta Its a chain I have been to them in Calie and their good. On a side note I'm glad that Don Pablos went out of bushiness Carnitas that come either beef chicken or pork? Come on Carnitas means pork!

Old 09-29-2009, 01:08 PM

They don't use cheese wiz... I'm not sure where you are getting that from. I found out about the place from actual Mexicans and they seem to give it a thumbs up. Pretty authentic. There is a place in Spencerport that is great and a place in Sodus, but they would be too far away for a visitor IMO.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:20 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,997,273 times
Well they had authentic on Buffalo rd, too authentic, they forgot their green cards, apparently they require those in NY. Monte Albons on ridge rd is the best I have found elsewise, it needs a good bar though. Johns Tex Mex on South Ave/Alexander is good non-authentic. For wings I would recommend Jeremiahs, or the new Anchor bar. Both are excellent. I was in the Anchor bar last weekend and were still backed up from new business. For BBQ, Dinosaur BBQ, Sticky Lips or the Taste of Texas. For garbage plates Nick Tahoes.

There are a number of good places to go out. If you want to hop bars, have a taxi drop you off at Culver and Park ave. Make your way to Alexander, take a left on East ave and work your way downtown. If you can make it that far, your a better man than I. There are also a number of bars on Monroe ave too.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:02 AM

525 posts, read 1,827,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
They don't use cheese wiz... I'm not sure where you are getting that from. I found out about the place from actual Mexicans and they seem to give it a thumbs up. Pretty authentic. There is a place in Spencerport that is great and a place in Sodus, but they would be too far away for a visitor IMO.
Chilango's is the place in Spencerport and it is excellent and authentic. The owner grew up in Acapulco at a family owned restaurant. However, I'm not sure you will be able to get there without a car.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:52 AM

yea, Chilangos is the place I was thinking of. I'm thinking its too far out for somebody staying at RIT.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:32 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,866,691 times
Go to Mex on Alexander and you will have great Mexican food and really wonderful Marg's... as well as being right in the heart of night life once dinner is done- all the good bars/clubs sit on Alexander and East Ave.

I like Dino BBQ better than Sticky Lips myself- but they are both really good- and you will be happy with what ever you try.... Dino has a really good atmosphere though and bands that play at night....check the schedule.

Park Ave is another place you might want to see for restaurants and coffee shops.... hip trendy spot.... not that big but we like it. Monroe Ave is another one- some shops and bars..... late night diner Gitsi's to fill the belly after a night out....

MacGregor's is in Henrietta out by RIT and that is really packed bar- great beer and a ton on tap....

Being at RIT someone will have a car I am sure..... if you are visitng a college you will be driven on a weekend or "cab it."

Old 10-05-2009, 03:37 PM

612 posts, read 1,843,166 times
Thanks for the information everyone... I'm making my final plans with my buddy. He said that he will have some sort of transportation so that's good.

I know it's cold mid-November but how cold? Snow on the ground by then??

Thanks again.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:17 PM

99 posts, read 288,542 times
As they say in Rochester "wait a minute and it will change", so you ask about snow? I have gone fishing wearing a tee shirt in a boat on Lake Ontario Thanksgiving day as well as shoveled a foot or so of snow, so take your pick.

With the normal climate change cycles as they are, we are in a cooling stage now so expect it to be cold and if anything else happens it is a gift. As far as Monte Albon goes, it is a good Mexican place and clean as can be, not as good as Don Pablos was but that is gone so it doesn't much matter about it. The one is Sodus is OK, used to be a car wash but it converted nicely to an authentic Mexican joint and is reasonably clean, I ate there once.

If you have transportation, go to East View Mall and enjoy a wonderful shopping experience inside. About a ten minute drive on 490 will make a world of difference in what is available. There you will find Fishbone, Biaggi's and a couple of other really nice places to eat that won't cost a fortune. Outside the mall in the general area you will find Indian cuisine south on Rt 96 along with many chain restaurants. Hope you enjoy your stay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area