Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 10:14 AM

2 posts, read 8,246 times

Advertisements

I am looking for neighborhood information around Wahl road (off of Culver) in East Irondequoit. I believe its zip code is 14609. School district is not a high priority at this point since I don't have any kids but crime and safety are important considerations. I am a runner and on a nice day, I like to run around the neighborhood. I have an older parent who likes to go out for walks when she visits me. Is this neighborhood conducive for such activity? Any information that you can provide that would help in my decision making, would be highly appreciated!
Thank you

Last edited by sr1218; 07-13-2009 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: Title was incorrect
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 11:29 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,996,709 times
I live not to far from where you are looking at, but in the city. Going north on Culver toward 104, most neighborhoods on the right side of Culver is good. Some parts of Homestead heights are good also, that is the nighborhood around the church on the corner of Culver and Clifford, be carful it gets rapidly worse the more west you go from there. Anyway, the neighborhoods seem to be clean and upkept, we walk our dog out that way alot. Its not too far from shopping on 104, the 590 and the bay are close by.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:38 PM

525 posts, read 1,827,114 times
You should be ok there. I'd prefer to go further north, as the less desirable neighborhoods tend to branch out over time (just ask the people who live near the Mt. Read/Lyell/Emerson neighborhoods, among others), not to mention easier access to the bay, Durand park/beach, and such. There is actually a great multi-use trail just at the entrance to the park on Culver if you can find something a little further north.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:26 PM

2 posts, read 8,246 times
rochacha,
Do you mean further north on Culver, past 104, closer to Seabreeze?
I had heard east of Culver, north of Norton or even Empire was all good.
Is that accurate?
Thanks

Old 07-13-2009, 05:54 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1218 View Post
rochacha,
Is that accurate?
Thanks
Lots of good parts of that general area. We have friends on Culver near to Norton on the same side as Wahl. Watch out for houses with little to no updates, although I'm sure most are in good shape. I seem to remember a lot of Cape Cod style homes in that area, and you kind of have to watch it with those style homes. Nice looking, but can be a pain in winter. There are many simple ranch style houses, which are easier to maintain, etc.

From there you're a stone's throw from E. Ridge, where you'll find 3+ supermarkets, home improvement joints, Black's Hardware, etc.

I'd say, yes, north of Empire is generally good, in fact we have friends even south of Empire/Clifford who've never had problems. Lots of well kept homes and good neighbors in that area, a few blocks in from Empire/Clifford, although might be easier to stay north of Empire for running, etc., as it would be easier to navigate north of the main drag. I'm a runner, too, so I understand that's a consideration. You could locate north of Empire, and could safely navigate from there all the way to Sea Breeze, if you're into distance running.

I did some real estate sales on the side when we lived in Rochester (fixed up older homes with a few friends, then we'd sell or rent them out), so I know the housing stock well, and what to look out for. As cheese9988 pointed out, the taxes can vary wildly even across short distances in certain parts of town, so take that into consideration. We fixed up an old Cape style house right in that area about 5 years ago, and I seem to remember the combined taxes were in the ~$2300 range. It's a stable part of town, with a good mix of solid folks. Singles, retirees, working people, families, etc.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:40 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
That whole area is fine. You'll be safe running, I just find it a pain in the ass since you have to wait for traffic often and can't get a good pace going. I live off Empire though so there may be more traffic.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:24 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,996,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
That whole area is fine. You'll be safe running, I just find it a pain in the ass since you have to wait for traffic often and can't get a good pace going. I live off Empire though so there may be more traffic.
That area isn't too far from Ellison park, there is an entrance off of Browncroft I believe. I know there are alot of hills in that park though. I see some people go up to the reservoiur also, you can get a good view of the city from up there.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:01 AM

525 posts, read 1,827,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1218 View Post
rochacha,
Is that accurate?
Thanks
Yes, that is what I meant. Where you are looking is not bad. I was just saying that I personally would look a little further north up Culver, probably Titus or further north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area