Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 02:53 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,605,648 times

Advertisements

My parents live in that same general area....right off Ridge Road. The neighborhood I grew up in was mostly elderly empty nexters until just a few years ago, as most of them either passed away or moved to retirement homes...and young families bought their smaller older homes as starter homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 09:24 PM

2 posts, read 12,284 times
Default moving to Rochester

my wife and I did medical school in Rochester. She came from Boston area. Do yourself a favor and look in either the area around the Med Center (Raleigh St, Rossiter, etc all the way to Westfall Rd) first. It snows in Rochester. A lot! That location will allow you to visit when she's on call. Also, she can walk if the snow is bad (there are no snow days for residents). Next, I would look into the Monroe Ave area near Boardman. There is nightlife there and near the hospitals. Finally, the Park Ave area is nice and easy access.

Greece would be okay if she was at Park Ridge hospital but a nightmare otherwise. All of your collegues will be spread somewhere between the hospital and toward Brighton but not much further.

Hope she has fun. It is an exciting time and UR is a great Medical Center.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:01 AM

578 posts, read 3,083,447 times
Brighton, Gates/Chili, and downtown are probably the easiest non-highway drives to Strong. Probably Henrietta, too. But none of these areas except downtown and possibly Brighton will have anything to walk to via sidewalks from wherever you might live. Downtown is typically the place 20-somethings to. Then you have tons of bars, clubs, restuarants, etc. to walk to without having to hop in your car.

The only annoying thing about downtown based on my personal experience living on Rundell Park is that the streets are narrow which results in a lot of side-swipes, on-street parking switches sides of the street every day (very annoying), and of course there's a ton of young renters which means more party noise and unkempt properties.

Good luck!

Old 04-23-2007, 12:11 PM

688 posts, read 2,838,744 times
Default some insight:

If your husband will be at Strong, Brighton area is ideal. The schools are good there and surely you could find a sub position until you get in permanently. The commute is hard to Strong if you in the Northern suberbs east and west side like someone stated before. Stay away from Greece, definitely. The traffic is terrible and the school system is as well. Let's just say, the school district caters to themselves, not the students and teachers if you get my meaning. Fairport, Penfield and Pittsford have idea neighborhoods and commute and schools for you. There is a great private school, (I don't know if you a Christian) but the name of it is Charles Finney. Penfield can get a little sketchy on the traffic thing. Fairport is known for the high scores in the schools. Pittsford is upscale neighborhoods. Downtown upscale neighborhoods are Park Ave and East Ave areas but the commute wouldn't be as lovely. Not far of a drive from Brighton though to the attractions in the city. There is a very high amount of crime in the city, so be sure not to get lost, especially at night. But I'm sure you have the same in Boston. I live in Spencerport, a beautiful suburb on the Westside of Rochester. A canal side town. Awesome school system! Not bad of a drive to Strong, because of the way in is really easy; take 490E(which is just a few miles from here) drive it for a couple miles to 390S exit, a few miles on that and get off at Scottsville Rd exit and take a left and Strong is just a couple miles on the right! It's like 15 minutes tops! Hard to find affordable real estate here though because nobody wants to leave and everyone trying to get in. And Spencerport owns it's own Electric company so the electric bills are dirt cheap, if your heat runs on electric in this town, your winter's are so much better! Fairport, I believe also own their own elec. company so it is the same there. There's some really nice real estate here in Spenceport though like at Bauer's Cove and Birdsong Terrace, Sarah Circle, and some upcoming upscale lots being built also. The zip code is 14559 if that helps you search property. Hope this helps you. We are actually looking to move to Florida the end of this year. I'm trying to find info on Jacksonville area here myself.
Goodluck to you on your searching.
~Lu

Old 02-16-2008, 05:12 PM

23 posts, read 69,705 times
Hey everyone, I am moving to Rochester from Maryland, and I am originally from Brooklyn, NY. I was hired for a position in Ontario, NY and need to know the names of the best apartments on Park Avenue, since this seems to be the best area for someone in their twenties. The commute from rochester to ontario seems to be short on mapquest, but my only concern is the weather; hence, I will definitely need to upgrade to an SUV. If anyone knows the names of the best apartments on Park Ave or any recommended apartments, please contact me at your earliest convenience. Thanks.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:20 PM

118 posts, read 627,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citysmart View Post
Hey everyone, I am moving to Rochester from Maryland, and I am originally from Brooklyn, NY. I was hired for a position in Ontario, NY and need to know the names of the best apartments on Park Avenue, since this seems to be the best area for someone in their twenties. The commute from rochester to ontario seems to be short on mapquest, but my only concern is the weather; hence, I will definitely need to upgrade to an SUV. If anyone knows the names of the best apartments on Park Ave or any recommended apartments, please contact me at your earliest convenience. Thanks.

Hi Citysmart.....I really don't have an answer to your apartment search question....I just have a comment about another thing you said....

Regarding the weather, and your drive to Ontario, you stated it is time to upgrade to an SUV. I just want you to know that of course an SUV will help in the snow...but remember, there is always the possibility of ICE and your 4 wheel drive SUV won't make any difference....so drive safely!!

Old 02-16-2008, 05:39 PM

23 posts, read 69,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovesAlot View Post
Hi Citysmart.....I really don't have an answer to your apartment search question....I just have a comment about another thing you said....

Regarding the weather, and your drive to Ontario, you stated it is time to upgrade to an SUV. I just want you to know that of course an SUV will help in the snow...but remember, there is always the possibility of ICE and your 4 wheel drive SUV won't make any difference....so drive safely!!
Thanks alot. I greatly appreciate it.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:33 PM

525 posts, read 1,829,757 times
Quote:
Most of the apartments in the Park Ave. area are houses reconfigured to apartments, not apartment complexes, although I do know of one on Berkeley St, but not the name unfortunately. The best way to find something is probably craigslist or democratandchronicle.com, and possibly cross-referencing with zillow.com to get a decent idea of how it looks on the outside at least.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:06 AM

944 posts, read 3,851,618 times
RentRochester.com

I successfully found an apt. through this site a few years back... No affiliation... just passing it along.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:44 PM

259 posts, read 799,190 times
Quote:
Hi!

I agree with the other posters about the apartment situation and the ice. I would also caution you about the drive from the Park Ave area to Ontario. It may not look far, but in the winter, the drive is along some of the snowiest areas because of Lake Ontario. I doubt you want to live out near Ontario, but I want you to be aware of the winter drive. By the way, we moved in August from Rochester to SC and don't miss the winter! We do miss our friends, though!! Enjoy Rochester, it is really a good place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area