Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 09:17 AM

355 posts, read 2,373,739 times

Advertisements

Question from someone who's coming from the other end of the country: is there such a thing as an "authentic" New York pizza, that is prepared in a certain way, or with certain ingredients/toppings, etc., that would be different from other pizzas? If so, what would that "authentic" or "original" New York pizza be like? And, is there a place in Rochester to try that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 09:41 AM

260 posts, read 979,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpg_99 View Post
Question from someone who's coming from the other end of the country: is there such a thing as an "authentic" New York pizza, that is prepared in a certain way, or with certain ingredients/toppings, etc., that would be different from other pizzas? If so, what would that "authentic" or "original" New York pizza be like? And, is there a place in Rochester to try that?
Go to Pontillos or Marks. You can never go wrong.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:12 PM

525 posts, read 1,833,155 times
New York style pizza, as in New York City style, is traditionally very thin and crisp. Main Street Pizza in Brockport is pretty good...the original owner was from the Bronx and taught the new owners how to make it. Cam's has a decent thin pizza, but not completely like you get in NYC. I'm sure there are others, but I don't know where off the top of my head.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:59 PM

260 posts, read 979,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochacha View Post
New York style pizza, as in New York City style, is traditionally very thin and crisp. Main Street Pizza in Brockport is pretty good...the original owner was from the Bronx and taught the new owners how to make it. Cam's has a decent thin pizza, but not completely like you get in NYC. I'm sure there are others, but I don't know where off the top of my head.
Rochester pizza is better.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:04 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,893,022 times
Time Square Pizzeria in Penfield has NY Style... decent... I am a Mark's Pizza fan myself...

Old 08-02-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
New York style pizza, as in New York City style, is traditionally very thin and crisp.

Ok, so it's the dough. Then I'm assuming you can still select your toppings, right? (unlike some pizzas, like the "Margherite", where the type and amount of toppings is part of the recipe, and you can't change it)

(afterthought: what was that topping that Kramer wanted to use for pizza, when he was going to start a pizza place with Poppi, that made Poppi get mad about it?)

Old 08-05-2008, 09:27 PM

I went to a local pizza joint (in northern FLA) called "3 guys fron NY" to try their pizza, so I'd have something to compare. Their menu didn't look that different from any other pizza place, so I asked the waitress and the following dialogue took place:

me: Are any of these pizzas New York style?
her: Yeah, they are.
me: So, which ones?
her: All of them.
me: Oh, so, what makes them "New York" style?
her: Well, I'm not sure [smiling nervously]
me: Is it the way they are made? They make them like they are make in New York?
her: I don't know, I've never been to New York [looking away, showing no interest in the conversation]
me: But I thought you had 3 guys from New York here...
her: [looking around, confused] What?
me: The place is called "3 guys from New York"...don't you have three guys from New York making the pizzas?
her: Uh...no...those are the owners...
me: Oh, so you have local guys making the pizzas.
her: Yeah, pretty much [showing definite signs of not being interested in the topic at all]
me: But didn't the owners teach your local guys how to make New York style pizza?
her: Maybe...I guess...sure

And then I got my order and as I was leaving I was thinking that most employees at an Italian restaurant haven't probably been to Italy themselves, but they can tell you what makes pasta Italian: it's boiled (not fried), it comes with tomato sauce (not soy sauce), etc., etc.

Oh well, that's what you get for ordering New York style pizza in Florida

Old 08-05-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
(afterthought: what was that topping that Kramer wanted to use for pizza, when he was going to start a pizza place with Poppie, that made Poppie get mad about it?)

I got it. It was cucumbers. Kramer wanted to use cucumbers as a pizza topping:
http://www.seinfeldscripts.com/TheCouch.html

Quote:
me: Is it the way they are made? They make them like they are make in New York?
I obviously meant "...like they are maDe in ..."

Old 08-07-2008, 05:51 PM

1,293 posts, read 5,015,072 times
Quote:
I would also recommend cam's. I know they are by Kodak Elmgrove, not sure if they have any other locations. We have them deliver sometimes.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:34 PM

5,718 posts, read 6,468,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester-WNY View Post
Rochester pizza is better.
i HATE nyc with a passion, i LOVE Rochester, but NYC pizza is much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area