Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2008, 02:31 PM

8 posts, read 29,158 times

Advertisements

Well, thanks to everyone for continuing to help in my house search. I visited Rochester a couple weeks ago and loved it (especially the U of R campus). We even made an offer on a house near Highland Park, but we were outbid.

Very glad I didn't end up making an offer on Troup St. Nice house but not the nicest area for sure.

So we're now looking at some of the suburbs, including Gates. If anyone is from there or familiar with the area I would greatly appreciate any info on it. I'm looking at houses on Norwood Ave, Varian Ln, and Normandale Dr.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 03:20 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
Gates is usually thought of as the "lower class" suburb, deserved reputation or not. It has a very large Italian community (NOT that that is a bad thing, I'm half Italian myself...its just the steotype that exists) and is much more blue-collar certainly than the east side suburbs and even Greece and other west side towns. Gates along with Irondequoit has the oldest housing stock among Rochester suburbs because it is smaller in geographic area and adjacent to the city. It is also right next to the airport and many areas have railroad tracks near by so the noise that goes along with those can be an issue. My sister lived in Gates on Mercury Drive for about 20 years and I just never really though of it as a place I'd like to live. Gates-Chili schools are supposed to be pretty good, not sure if that is a concern for you. Chili would probably be teh better town to live vs. Gates.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:27 PM

106 posts, read 512,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vogeljo View Post
Well, thanks to everyone for continuing to help in my house search. I visited Rochester a couple weeks ago and loved it (especially the U of R campus). We even made an offer on a house near Highland Park, but we were outbid.

Very glad I didn't end up making an offer on Troup St. Nice house but not the nicest area for sure.

So we're now looking at some of the suburbs, including Gates. If anyone is from there or familiar with the area I would greatly appreciate any info on it. I'm looking at houses on Norwood Ave, Varian Ln, and Normandale Dr.

Thanks.
i love gates-- grew up in greece and settled in gates--i disagree with "iminformed" who states it's "lower class"--i use to live in a $200,000 dollar home in gates i don't believe that's lower class!!! gates is close to everything expressway nearby, shopping, good schools and taxes are lower in gates than in greece. norwood ave is off of long pond road--quiet street--mostly capecod and split level homes that run around 70's to low 100,000's well kept homes . hope this helps

Old 05-18-2008, 09:55 PM

13 posts, read 52,651 times
Your better off on Troup Street! Well almost! Seriously gates is bad. Very high crime rate and the cops there are dicks too! Stay away from gates!

Old 05-20-2008, 06:49 PM

106 posts, read 512,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkimbo View Post
Your better off on Troup Street! Well almost! Seriously gates is bad. Very high crime rate and the cops there are dicks too! Stay away from gates!
lived in gates over 20 years and have never had any trouble with the police or crime---troup street are you kidding me ??????? geez, not sure what you have been doing but ---i believe it's a great community with good schools and near to all shopping that you could ask for....yes gates does have it's own police force--not the county sheriffs or city police..i believe this is a benefit to the community. if you look for trouble then you can find it anywhere gates , greece, webster --troup street especially!!!!

Old 05-21-2008, 12:08 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vogeljo View Post
Well, thanks to everyone for continuing to help in my house search. I visited Rochester a couple weeks ago and loved it (especially the U of R campus).
That's where I go! I can't wait to go back in the fall... i'm sooooo bored!!!!

Anyway, whether or not the reputation is true, I agree with iminformed that Gates has the reputation of not being one of the nicer suburbs. I think I heard that the Kodak decline within the last decade has hurt Gates more than any other part of the area. But if that's just a reputation and not a truth, it could result in home prices/taxes being lower there.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:59 PM

578 posts, read 3,081,148 times
I lived in Gates for 8 years (recently moved to Raleigh). Gates is a great place to find inexpensive housing but NOT in the city proper. It's also a convenient location as it's accessible to all of the highways, airport, short drive downtown if via Chili Ave (Main St downtown) or the highway, and you really have all the shopping you could want within 15 minutes in Gates proper, Greece via Long Pond, or Henrietta. They also have a seriously awesome YMCA if you're into that. Seriously, one of the best I've ever been to.

Downside is the housing is generally older and it's relatively noisy thanks to the proximity of highways, railroads, and of course the airport. Hold on to your pants when the Blue Angels are in town for an airshow!

As far as high crime or nasty police I can't say I ever personally experienced either. The few times I called the cops for not-so-neighborly-neighbor issues they were always pleasant and fast to respond day or night.

Regarding schools, we had one kid in kindergarten before we left the area. It was OK, though older and not particularly fresh looking. But no complaints.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:54 AM

8 posts, read 29,158 times
Thanks gastric, lpnny, I'minformed2 and others. Very good information.

Looks like we might pull the trigger on a house in Gates. We're debating between that and a house in South Wedge, but we're leaning Gates because the house is much nicer and gives us a yard. At this stage in life I don't expect to live in a trendy, expensive area like Brighton or Pittsford. As long as there's not major safety issues where I'd have to worry about my wife and daughter all the time (like the 19th ward), a working class neighborhood works for me.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:10 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
If you have a daughter who would be going to public school, then I would definitely suggest gates over southwedge or anywhere in the city. Southwedge is a nice and up and coming neighborhood, and there are many nice neighborhoods in the city; but most of the schools just aren't good. I hope everything goes smoothly with your move to our fine area and welcome to Rochester!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area