Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 06:10 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,139,412 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to possibly relocate to Rochester and have specifically been looking in the areas of Greece,and Gates. Are these areas safe,and how are the schools? Good family friendly areas? Please let me know.

Thanks,
Lance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 06:55 PM

355 posts, read 869,088 times
This question has been asked 1 million times. Go Greece. Ok schools, safe beyond measure, and still has affordable housing. Pretty good at plowing roads. Has everything you need as far as shopping goes.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:17 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,139,412 times
Are the less desirable areas nearby(2 miles,3 miles,etc...)? Where specifically east,southeast,north?
Thanks again for your time.We live about 7 hours away on long island but a house that's $200,000 in Greece is $500,000 here even though the taxes are close so off the island we must go.
-Lance-

Old 03-03-2008, 05:52 AM

118 posts, read 626,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Are the less desirable areas nearby(2 miles,3 miles,etc...)? Where specifically east,southeast,north?
Thanks again for your time.We live about 7 hours away on long island but a house that's $200,000 in Greece is $500,000 here even though the taxes are close so off the island we must go.
-Lance-
Basically anywhere in Greece is fine. However "east" Greece is considered "old" Greece. For example, smaller, older, and less expensive homes. This would be the area east of Mt. Read Blvd. "Newer" Greece is more the North West part of the town.....let's say.....west of Long Pond Rd.....north of Mill Road.....

If you were looking at around a $200,000 price range, you could have a pretty wide selection of homes in Greece. There of course are homes more expensive than that, but 200K will get you a nice house and yard here.

Have you checked out this local home website?

MLS listings of Homes for Sale, Property, Commercial Real Estate and Townhouses in Rochester NY, the Finger Lakes region and Upstate NY

Good luck! I have a couple of friends that have moved here from LI and they love it here.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:05 AM

155 posts, read 1,052,733 times
Taxes are outrages, $35 per $1000 of assessed value. Do the math.. NY is riduculous on real estate/school taxes.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:59 PM

106 posts, read 512,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I'm looking to possibly relocate to Rochester and have specifically been looking in the areas of Greece,and Gates. Are these areas safe,and how are the schools? Good family friendly areas? Please let me know.

Thanks,
Lance
i have lived in the town of gates for approx 27 years -far enough away from the city and close to everything. i grew up in greece. it is also a nice place to live. we choose gates due to the difference in taxes. it is cheaper for same house. we are now planning a move to nc --want to get out of the cold and also retire to an area that the taxes are much lower.
that being said , rochester has much to offer. wish you the best

Old 03-22-2008, 06:52 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,866,231 times
I will say it again... Greece/Hilton border- Flynn Rd area is nice... benefits of Greece location, shopping, dining, 390 but better schools in Hilton.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:33 PM

13 posts, read 16,725 times
Greece is a bit out there as far as a desired place to live and kids have to walk to school in most districts there because school budget is horrible, Gates on the other hand is easier to move around in, taxes are lower than Greece, homes for sale very resonable and schools are great (Gates/Chili) Chili is where my family lives, we find the taxes more affordable than the east side of the city and homes priced better for larger square feet. No matter where you choose you will have to deal with a lot of snow, long cold winters that stretch into spring each year. We are selling our home and moving to Florida in a year, we love our neighborhood, schools and home but we h8 the winters and 1 more is about all we can possibly take. Good luck to you and your family, the west side of Monroe County is close to everything and highways in Rochester (other than construction areas) move nicely and easy to get on and off, plenty of exits to get you close, Hospitals are the best around and lots of good friendly people to meet and have your kids grow up around. Best of Luck!!!

Old 04-09-2008, 09:24 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,866,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejp823 View Post
Greece is a bit out there as far as a desired place to live and kids have to walk to school in most districts there because school budget is horrible, Gates on the other hand is easier to move around in, taxes are lower than Greece, homes for sale very resonable and schools are great (Gates/Chili) Chili is where my family lives, we find the taxes more affordable than the east side of the city and homes priced better for larger square feet. No matter where you choose you will have to deal with a lot of snow, long cold winters that stretch into spring each year. We are selling our home and moving to Florida in a year, we love our neighborhood, schools and home but we h8 the winters and 1 more is about all we can possibly take. Good luck to you and your family, the west side of Monroe County is close to everything and highways in Rochester (other than construction areas) move nicely and easy to get on and off, plenty of exits to get you close, Hospitals are the best around and lots of good friendly people to meet and have your kids grow up around. Best of Luck!!!
Everyone I know in Greece has kids on a bus... not walking... the stops are further apart and perhaps that has you a bit confused. There is a walk to the bus stop... not the school.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:31 AM

5 posts, read 19,549 times
Default greece/hilton

its perfect the schools in hilton are wonderful i know people who work there but you are close enough to everything in greece
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area