Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2014, 10:34 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,333,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
There is also a significant humidity difference between Florida and Rochester.

Rochester's dew points are no where near Florida's.
Exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 02:03 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,275,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarini2 View Post
Don't forget about the COST of living in New York. Recently Monroe County (where Rochester lies) earned the dubious distinction of having the highest property taxes vs. home values IN THE COUNTRY! I retired to Florida 3 years ago at a fraction of what it would have cost in Rochester. My utility bill is 1/3 of what a similarly sized home in NY would cost, gas is cheaper, no state income tax, sales tax is lower. My house would cost double up there. I could go on and on. The year-round weather, beaches, golf, fishing, etc. more than outweigh the summer heat. By the way, it doesn't get any hotter or more humid here than in Rochester - it just lasts a bit longer. We rarely see temperatures above 90 - 92 degrees, and there's always a nice breeze. It's not unusual to see a stretch in Rochester at 100 degrees, or more. Recently Florida took over the #3 spot from NY in total population. Guess which state lost the most people moving to Florida. You guessed it - New York!
When someone says it is not unusual to see a stretch in Rochester at 100 degrees, and that it doesn't get any hotter or more humid in Florida, you might as well discount anything the poster has to say.

And Florida has great year-round weather? What a joke. Before we went to Disney in June, my friends warned us to go back to our hotel by 1:30 and come back at 5:00 everyday because the weather is so miserable. Boy was he right.

I'm surprised this guy didn't say that Florida has great mountains and hiking trails.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:36 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,885,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Oh man..where do I even start with the misinformation. First of all, you aren't getting a "similar" house in Florida for the same price. You are getting much less of a house for the same price and paying less taxes.
I'd try and explain just how massively incorrect you are here, but in doing so I'd just give you a reason to come back and make an argument that would make you look even more incorrect, so I'll do you the favor and keep my mouth shut here. You're welcome

Old 12-28-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
I'd try and explain just how massively incorrect you are here, but in doing so I'd just give you a reason to come back and make an argument that would make you look even more incorrect, so I'll do you the favor and keep my mouth shut here. You're welcome
No worries. You frequently are wrong with your statements so don't worry about me. You just need to worry about your misstatements which I've corrected you on before. Remember when you were confused on whether Syracuse or Rochester was bigger? That is a simple fact that I would expect anybody who has lived in the area for any period of time to know.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:16 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,885,517 times
I've been through 'Cuse all of maybe 3 times, and I couldn't care less about the city itself in any regard. I wouldn't "expect" anyone in Rochester to know anything about 'Cuse unless they had some sort of outside interest in the city. Other than that, you have yet to legitimately correct me on anything else since you've shown up.

Anyways, I was in FL this past summer staying at my grandparents in Fort Pierce, and doing some house hunting while down there out of curiositys sake. Needless to say, 150 large (roughly our price range) in a fair number of areas down there buys you similar, if not larger and better homes, than what you would find up here. On top of that, the homes are usually much newer as well, and also built better (you know, the whole high winds thing they have to deal with down there ) The taxes can be a moot point, as you may be getting raped by insurance if you are close enough to the ocean and savings of the lower taxes will be wiped away by the insurance. Also, HOA's aren't everywhere, so that's not even something to mention seeing as how there are plenty of HOA's up here too.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
I've been through 'Cuse all of maybe 3 times, and I couldn't care less about the city itself in any regard. I wouldn't "expect" anyone in Rochester to know anything about 'Cuse unless they had some sort of outside interest in the city. Other than that, you have yet to legitimately correct me on anything else since you've shown up.

Anyways, I was in FL this past summer staying at my grandparents in Fort Pierce, and doing some house hunting while down there out of curiositys sake. Needless to say, 150 large (roughly our price range) in a fair number of areas down there buys you similar, if not larger and better homes, than what you would find up here. On top of that, the homes are usually much newer as well, and also built better (you know, the whole high winds thing they have to deal with down there ) The taxes can be a moot point, as you may be getting raped by insurance if you are close enough to the ocean and savings of the lower taxes will be wiped away by the insurance. Also, HOA's aren't everywhere, so that's not even something to mention seeing as how there are plenty of HOA's up here too.
Actually it says something when you know so little about the next town over and you made a claim stating as fact. It means that I have to take your claims with a grain of salt when something as simple as population to our nearest next door city you were way off on. That matters to me when you "claim" some facts that I've researched on and found contrary to your claims.

What town did you see the home for 150 grand? What were the HOA fees? Was the home move-in ready? When was the home built? These are important facts when making a comparison.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:48 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,896,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Oh man..where do I even start with the misinformation. First of all, you aren't getting a "similar" house in Florida for the same price. You are getting much less of a house for the same price and paying less taxes. So dollar for dollar, you are living in less of a home for the same price you'd be living in Rochester when factoring both tax and home price into the equation along with HOA fees. You just think because you aren't paying taxes that somehow the additional costs you do have somehow don't count.

Secondly, it's complete bologna that you'll see a "stretch of 100 degree" weather in Rochester. The RECORD HIGH in Rochester is 102. Seeing temperatures over 100 is extremely rare. It hasn't been 100 degrees ONCE in Rochester in multiple years. Rochester averages 0 days a year over 100 and 5 days a year over 90. Florida averages 50 days a year over 90. Try to spin it all you want. Florida is hot as hell all through the summer. I don't "all year round" golf or the beach either. Honestly I could care less about the beach. I go maybe 5-6 times as it is in Rochester. I enjoy all 4 seasons. You're not getting all 4 seasons in FL.
The only point I don't agree with here is with COL. While Rochester's taxes + low housing prices often times line up with other places' lower taxes (or no taxes) + higher housing prices, in terms of overall monthly obligation, there is a significant difference. If I'm paying $250k in Raleigh NC for a similar house that costs $150k in Rochester, and my annual taxes are $2,500/year in Raleigh and $8,000/year in Rochester, I'm putting a lot more equity into my pocket every month. When I go to sell, I have a larger investment than I did in Rochester. Further, if I pay my house off in 15 years, there's a much larger drop-off in monthly obligation in Raleigh than there is in Rochester because my taxes represent a lower percentage of my overall costs.

In terms of "similar house", I think it depends on the area, housing style, and era in which it was built. There are some great houses in the south, just as there are in Rochester.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:15 AM

93,977 posts, read 124,814,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
The only point I don't agree with here is with COL. While Rochester's taxes + low housing prices often times line up with other places' lower taxes (or no taxes) + higher housing prices, in terms of overall monthly obligation, there is a significant difference. If I'm paying $250k in Raleigh NC for a similar house that costs $150k in Rochester, and my annual taxes are $2,500/year in Raleigh and $8,000/year in Rochester, I'm putting a lot more equity into my pocket every month. When I go to sell, I have a larger investment than I did in Rochester. Further, if I pay my house off in 15 years, there's a much larger drop-off in monthly obligation in Raleigh than there is in Rochester because my taxes represent a lower percentage of my overall costs.

In terms of "similar house", I think it depends on the area, housing style, and era in which it was built. There are some great houses in the south, just as there are in Rochester.
Paying it off is a big if on the other hand, given the aspect of pay. With that said, if the house is paid off, you do pay less in terms of post mortgage pay due to real property aspects, but property tax in NC isn't just on real property. So, what you may pay in personal property taxes may make up the difference in post mortgage costs.

Even 8000 in taxes, while possibly real, is even pretty rare by Rochester area standards. Property Tax Map | CitizenConnects

Here is a list of median post mortgage housing costs: U.S. Median Costs for House without Mortgage Metro Area Rank Based on ACS 2008-2012 data*

Keep in mind that during the mortgage, going by median monthly payments, the Rochester area is about 200 dollars lower per month: U.S. Median Costs for House with Mortgage Metro Area Rank Based on

I'm not saying this in terms of one upping anyone or any place, but like with anything in life, you deal with things one way or another.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:28 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,838,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Paying it off is a big if on the other hand, given the aspect of pay. With that said, if the house is paid off, you do pay less in terms of post mortgage pay due to real property aspects, but property tax in NC isn't just on real property. So, what you may pay in personal property taxes may make up the difference in post mortgage costs.

Even 8000 in taxes, while possibly real, is even pretty rare by Rochester area standards. Property Tax Map | CitizenConnects

Here is a list of median post mortgage housing costs: U.S. Median Costs for House without Mortgage Metro Area Rank Based on ACS 2008-2012 data*

Keep in mind that during the mortgage, going by median monthly payments, the Rochester area is about 200 dollars lower per month: U.S. Median Costs for House with Mortgage Metro Area Rank Based on

I'm not saying this in terms of one upping anyone or any place, but like with anything in life, you deal with things one way or another.
Man, you really know the art of the spin. I've got to hand it to you, nobody on this site can spin something better than you can. I don't even know what this means. Paying off your mortgage is a "big if" given the aspect of pay?

So, let me see if I understand the second part: Someone who has paid off their house in NC could save easily $6k in extra money per year by living in Raleigh vs Rochester. Over 10 years, they have saved $60,000. This much money, according to you, is the approximate equivalent the personal property tax on a car or two, over the same 10 years.

I just want to make sure I understand this.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:31 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,838,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post

^This, exactly. Its not rocket surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area