Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2014, 11:16 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy40 View Post
I lived for 35 years in Rochester NY and I am very thankful to be gone from there. Great lakes weather is the worst in the nation - no contest. Lots and lots of cloudy and overcast days - lots of cold cold weather, lots of precipitation. It is not conducive to good living... and I believe it only gets more difficult as you age. I am suspicious of people who claim to love living in such an environment. I think it is just an attempt to rationalize the downsides because one is so deeply rooted there that moving seems a near impossibility.

Rochester would be a great city (a really great city) if it were not for its location. That is the truth. Instead it is one of the least desirable places in the nation to live - and I do not exaggerate. I have experience - lots of it.

Even the Hudson valley of New York state is significantly better weather-wise than, not just Rochester, but the whole of western NY state. Stay away from Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse and all points in between. Quality of life is seriously diminished by the weather.
Its proximity to the water makes it a good location for navigation and water supply purposes.

Weather can be very fickle and while people have their preferences, which are subjective, there are other factors that people consider in terms of where they live.

There are other metrics that make this part of the state favorable in comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 07:45 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,625 times
Quote:
I am suspicious of people who claim to love living in such an environment. I think it is just an attempt to rationalize the downsides because one is so deeply rooted there that moving seems a near impossibility.
what the hell are you talking about "deep rooted"? I have no kids, am not married (have a fiance), and have a degree and skills that can take me to any city in the US. In fact, I lived and worked in Boston for almost 2 years and turned down job opportunities in both Boston and Seattle to come back to Rochester because I love living here. I'm not "deep rooted", and yes there are many who live here that really do enjoy living here. So be suspicious all you want but realize that you're wrong on your "suspicion".

Old 11-29-2014, 08:13 PM

466 posts, read 982,152 times
Quote:
I lived for 35 years in Rochester NY and I am very thankful to be gone from there. Great lakes weather is the worst in the nation - no contest. Lots and lots of cloudy and overcast days - lots of cold cold weather, lots of precipitation. It is not conducive to good living... and I believe it only gets more difficult as you age. I am suspicious of people who claim to love living in such an environment. I think it is just an attempt to rationalize the downsides because one is so deeply rooted there that moving seems a near impossibility.

Rochester would be a great city (a really great city) if it were not for its location. That is the truth. Instead it is one of the least desirable places in the nation to live - and I do not exaggerate. I have experience - lots of it.

Even the Hudson valley of New York state is significantly better weather-wise than, not just Rochester, but the whole of western NY state. Stay away from Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse and all points in between. Quality of life is seriously diminished by the weather.
Ridiculous, and you sound old and bitter. Get over it. I have lived in Rochester for decades and have absolutely no issues with the weather and it's not me rationalizing anything. Get a grip.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:18 AM

6 posts, read 8,974 times
Default horrible

Yes, Rochester winters are horrible! Long, very cold, snow.....dark!

Old 12-11-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
Ridiculous, and you sound old and bitter. Get over it. I have lived in Rochester for decades and have absolutely no issues with the weather and it's not me rationalizing anything. Get a grip.

What Rochester have you been living in....winters absolutely suck!?

Old 12-11-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmickys View Post
Rochester is NOT gaining population. And if you look at the census bureau stats for crime in this city (2014) it would curl your toes. It's not 4 seasons here, it's winter and a sort of summer. If we're lucky we get a bit of Spring and fall. Let's get real here. The local government is a joke, and corrupt. Hello Maggie Crooks. Let's pay for the defunct Irondequoit Mall, the failed Ferry, that was news every day....let's not forget about the Genesee Hospital.. Get over it. I have owned my home for 9 years, done a ton of improvements, and I bet at most I may get 5k over my sell price. NICE. So, even though you may get a home for less (my taxes have gone up every year for 9 years) you won't get squat when you go to sell. I am tired of all this defensive crap with this city. The local government, the taxes- all need to be addressed. That simple. People are leaving all the time. We own a small business, and work 70+ hours a week to just make ends meet, and we are a successful business. This is not a friendly state for new small business, and definitely not for current businesses.
it does not matter when he replies, he is still correct!

Old 12-12-2014, 04:10 PM

466 posts, read 982,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minniehtr View Post
What Rochester have you been living in....winters absolutely suck!?
If you're soft and weak, then yes.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,509 times
Default What about cost of living?

Don't forget about the COST of living in New York. Recently Monroe County (where Rochester lies) earned the dubious distinction of having the highest property taxes vs. home values IN THE COUNTRY! I retired to Florida 3 years ago at a fraction of what it would have cost in Rochester. My utility bill is 1/3 of what a similarly sized home in NY would cost, gas is cheaper, no state income tax, sales tax is lower. My house would cost double up there. I could go on and on. The year-round weather, beaches, golf, fishing, etc. more than outweigh the summer heat. By the way, it doesn't get any hotter or more humid here than in Rochester - it just lasts a bit longer. We rarely see temperatures above 90 - 92 degrees, and there's always a nice breeze. It's not unusual to see a stretch in Rochester at 100 degrees, or more. Recently Florida took over the #3 spot from NY in total population. Guess which state lost the most people moving to Florida. You guessed it - New York!

Old 12-27-2014, 10:16 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarini2 View Post
Don't forget about the COST of living in New York. Recently Monroe County (where Rochester lies) earned the dubious distinction of having the highest property taxes vs. home values IN THE COUNTRY! I retired to Florida 3 years ago at a fraction of what it would have cost in Rochester. My utility bill is 1/3 of what a similarly sized home in NY would cost, gas is cheaper, no state income tax, sales tax is lower. My house would cost double up there. I could go on and on. The year-round weather, beaches, golf, fishing, etc. more than outweigh the summer heat. By the way, it doesn't get any hotter or more humid here than in Rochester - it just lasts a bit longer. We rarely see temperatures above 90 - 92 degrees, and there's always a nice breeze. It's not unusual to see a stretch in Rochester at 100 degrees, or more. Recently Florida took over the #3 spot from NY in total population. Guess which state lost the most people moving to Florida. You guessed it - New York!
Oh man..where do I even start with the misinformation. First of all, you aren't getting a "similar" house in Florida for the same price. You are getting much less of a house for the same price and paying less taxes. So dollar for dollar, you are living in less of a home for the same price you'd be living in Rochester when factoring both tax and home price into the equation along with HOA fees. You just think because you aren't paying taxes that somehow the additional costs you do have somehow don't count.

Secondly, it's complete bologna that you'll see a "stretch of 100 degree" weather in Rochester. The RECORD HIGH in Rochester is 102. Seeing temperatures over 100 is extremely rare. It hasn't been 100 degrees ONCE in Rochester in multiple years. Rochester averages 0 days a year over 100 and 5 days a year over 90. Florida averages 50 days a year over 90. Try to spin it all you want. Florida is hot as hell all through the summer. I don't "all year round" golf or the beach either. Honestly I could care less about the beach. I go maybe 5-6 times as it is in Rochester. I enjoy all 4 seasons. You're not getting all 4 seasons in FL.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:19 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Secondly, it's complete bologna that you'll see a "stretch of 100 degree" weather in Rochester. The RECORD HIGH in Rochester is 102. Seeing temperatures over 100 is extremely rare. It hasn't been 100 degrees ONCE in Rochester in multiple years. Rochester averages 0 days a year over 100 and 5 days a year over 90. Florida averages 50 days a year over 90. Try to spin it all you want. Florida is hot as hell all through the summer. I don't "all year round" golf or the beach either. Honestly I could care less about the beach. I go maybe 5-6 times as it is in Rochester. I enjoy all 4 seasons. You're not getting all 4 seasons in FL.
There is also a significant humidity difference between Florida and Rochester.

Rochester's dew points are no where near Florida's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area