Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 01:20 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,605,648 times

Advertisements

its definitely supposed to be cooler on the 29th....high only in the 40's vs the high 70's for the past few days...but I doubt we'll see any snow. And even if we do the high for the day after that is supposed to be 67 so its not like it would be around past the time anyone wakes up...or even stick at all for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 01:38 PM

944 posts, read 3,851,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochacha View Post
Tornadoes are almost unheard of around here, no hurricanes, severe thunderstorms are rare, flooding is almost unheard of in all but a few areas. The worst has been an ice storm in '91 that took out a lot of infrastructure (power lines, trees, signs, poles, etc.), but that was a once in a lifetime event. We do not have earthquakes either, although that obviously has nothing to do with the lakes.
I don't mean to single out your post, but there are some understatements here:

1. Tornadoes do happen. My HS football coach lost a family member in one.
2. There was another damaging ice storm in April 2003.
3. Rochester could experience an earthquake, though the risk is low.
4. Severe thunderstorms are more than rare.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:43 PM

897 posts, read 2,459,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochacha View Post
I agree that the gloom is the worst of it! On the flip side, and kind of off-topic, is that the Great Lakes keep the weather very stable. Tornadoes are almost unheard of around here, no hurricanes, severe thunderstorms are rare, flooding is almost unheard of in all but a few areas. The worst has been an ice storm in '91 that took out a lot of infrastructure (power lines, trees, signs, poles, etc.), but that was a once in a lifetime event. We do not have earthquakes either, although that obviously has nothing to do with the lakes.
We get hit with hurricanes in Upstate ny. They are not like FL but we get a lot of rain and wind.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:17 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,879,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
We get hit with hurricanes in Upstate ny. They are not like FL but we get a lot of rain and wind.
I would never classify our thunderstorms that come with severe weather a hurricane- we get a thunderstorm with some wind... to say we get hurricanes is a bit extreme...

And to the Tornado comment... that was a freak weather incident and having grown up for a bit in Oklahoma... NO there really are no tornadoes here- but strong gusts do come in... they have been known to tear the siding off of many Ryan homes in my neighborhood...

Earthquakes... yes we live on a fault line- a couple times in my life I have experienced a SLIGHT rumble (what would make you feel like a large truck was driving by) but that is it... the chance we will get a real earthquake is one in a million...

Honestly- SNOW is the only weather problem in Western NY.... let's be realistic.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:49 PM

578 posts, read 3,083,447 times
Heh, earthquakes. I was on the 23rd floor of the Xerox tower sometime in the late 90's one day when the building started swaying from a quake. Scary as anything as you know they didn't build them to California quake-sustaining standards.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:24 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,727,340 times
Does anybody remember that earthquake in the 01/02 time frame that was centered around the Plattsburgh area? I was up there during it, but apparently they felt it all the way here in Rochester.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:22 PM

897 posts, read 2,459,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
I would never classify our thunderstorms that come with severe weather a hurricane- we get a thunderstorm with some wind... to say we get hurricanes is a bit extreme...

And to the Tornado comment... that was a freak weather incident and having grown up for a bit in Oklahoma... NO there really are no tornadoes here- but strong gusts do come in... they have been known to tear the siding off of many Ryan homes in my neighborhood...

Earthquakes... yes we live on a fault line- a couple times in my life I have experienced a SLIGHT rumble (what would make you feel like a large truck was driving by) but that is it... the chance we will get a real earthquake is one in a million...

Honestly- SNOW is the only weather problem in Western NY.... let's be realistic.
Agnes 1972 is an example...Middle Atlantic River Forecast Center - Hurricane Agnes

Old 04-23-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
Alright, let me say it in a different way- in the 30 years I have been alive... there have been no freak hurricanes in the Rochester area... and I don't expect there to be any.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:06 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,605,648 times
If you are going to complain that Rochester gets affected by hurricanes once every hundred years or whatever and it breaks a few branches off of treess...you might as well complain that at any moment an asteroid the size of a house could come and whipe the whole place out in 10 seconds. Or anywhere else for that matter.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
If you are going to complain that Rochester gets affected by hurricanes once every hundred years or whatever and it breaks a few branches off of treess...you might as well complain that at any moment an asteroid the size of a house could come and whipe the whole place out in 10 seconds. Or anywhere else for that matter.
Priceless...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area