Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 9,362 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are looking for a home somewhere in the downtown area, but have little knowledge of where the "best" place to settle is. I've heard conflicting things about the 19th Ward area, but went ahead and checked out a house there. More specifically, it's on Genesee Park Blvd., a few houses up from the weird intersection where Scottsville ends and Elmwood begins. The location is ideal because I work at Strong and it is literally just over the bridge. If anyone can enlighten me on whether or not this is a safe area, I would greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2006, 08:43 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Genesee Park Blvd is a nice street..... but the 19th ward is in a pretty rough area of the city in general. SW Rochester is definitely not one of the nicer areas. If you cross the river from the 19th ward you can still get the same type of house for about the same price in a much safer area of the city (Either Ellwanger-Barry or South Wedge) and still be close to downtown.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:08 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovacs View Post
My fiance and I are looking for a home somewhere in the downtown area, but have little knowledge of where the "best" place to settle is. I've heard conflicting things about the 19th Ward area, but went ahead and checked out a house there. More specifically, it's on Genesee Park Blvd., a few houses up from the weird intersection where Scottsville ends and Elmwood begins. The location is ideal because I work at Strong and it is literally just over the bridge. If anyone can enlighten me on whether or not this is a safe area, I would greatly appreciate it.
I'm not at all familiar with Rochester, and I came across your post just out of a general curiosity about the city. I just wanted to say that you're going to be getting a nice positive reputation boost from me for actually taking a chance and moving INTO one of the Rust-Belt cities for a change instead of flocking to the 'burbs. I say this from experience with my own hometown of Scranton, home to hundreds of historic Victorians, Tudors, Neo-Classicals, etc. that are being left unoccupied as people head out en masse to new cookie-cutter housing developments just outside of town. I've never been to Rochester, but I'd assume it's quite similar to Scranton---making great strides in rebounding economically and aesthetically after many years of neglect. Most cities in Upstate NY and PA are similar in character; they all have so much potential that is not being realized. I want to visit Rochester someday for a weekend trip, and I can't wait to see what this city has to offer! Bravo to you and your fiancee for bucking the trend and trying to breathe new life into a historic city. (As I'll be doing by rehabbing a home in Scranton after college.)

Old 02-11-2008, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 9,181 times
Default 19th Ward

I live right off of Genesee Park Blvd. And I love it. I've been here of 5 years now and never had a problem. Great Neighbors and a wonderfull mix of blue and white color workers. I love my home and loved the price even more. Your are an expressway away from everything, Park ave has some amazing shops, the Art and science Museum the list goes on and on.My only concern is the Rochester City school. I have a 4 month old daughter, and education is very important to me. But with the money I save on house payments she will be going to private school. Don't let people tell you its a rough part of town, Its a rumor that has plagued downtown for ages. I say come see for yourself....

Old 02-11-2008, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 9,175 times
I live very close to where you mentioned. I am near the park and tennis courts. This is an ideal location, probably the best in the city. The park is wonderful, year round; there is a strong community association, and great neighbors. Police have cracked down on thugs who have visited the area to prey on University residents and staff. In 10 years I've never had a problem. As a parent you are justified in your concerns about the school.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:28 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james1004 View Post
I live right off of Genesee Park Blvd. And I love it. I've been here of 5 years now and never had a problem. Great Neighbors and a wonderfull mix of blue and white color workers. I love my home and loved the price even more. Your are an expressway away from everything, Park ave has some amazing shops, the Art and science Museum the list goes on and on.My only concern is the Rochester City school. I have a 4 month old daughter, and education is very important to me. But with the money I save on house payments she will be going to private school. Don't let people tell you its a rough part of town, Its a rumor that has plagued downtown for ages. I say come see for yourself....
Well then if you live off Genesee pk blvd, you have probably seen me running my dog, I lived near Genesee Valley park on Brooks from 2003 until early 2006! Pretty nice area, you are right about the Rochester public schools though.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:40 PM

25 posts, read 105,318 times
My friend lives on Woodbine Avenue in the 19th ward. The streets and houses are beautiful. Huge houses on tree lined streets. She has admitted that she has had several issues with Robbery (Car theft, burglary) and she often hears gun shots. Its not the safest of neighborhoods, but its not the most dangerous. If you are looking for a safer nieghborhood i'd suggest the Southwedge or Strong/UofR right around the corner

Old 09-21-2009, 10:34 PM

6 posts, read 18,871 times
I am currently looking at a home on Melrose Street near Woodbine Avenue, anyone have any impressions of the area?

Thanks.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:53 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,996,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyama View Post
I am currently looking at a home on Melrose Street near Woodbine Avenue, anyone have any impressions of the area?

Thanks.
The 19th Ward is more of a mixed neighborhood. I always suggest when you look at the house, look during the day and night. Circle the block too, see what the neighbors are like. I don't know the streets of that section of town to give a definite answer though.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:24 AM

93,182 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyama View Post

Thanks.
It looks really nice on here: melrose st. & woodbine ave., rochester, ny - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area