Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2008, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,348 times

Advertisements

Thank you all in advance for your advice, this board has been exceedingly informative on the market in Rochester.

I'd like whatever information you can give me particularly on East Irondequoit, 14609. I am looking to purchase a home very close to where 590 crosses over North Winton, and more specifically where Spencer crosses N Winton.

Crime wise, whats this area like? Am I safe here? Are my wife and kids?

Is this area up and coming value wise, or is it going down the tubes? Any predictions on how it'll look in 10 years? What are your predictions based upon? What is the future of this area like relative to other areas of Rochester?

What is the school district like here? I know its not Pittsford, but is it better than average generally? Anyone have kids here?

Any other insightful info from any of you would be greatly appeciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 11:22 PM

525 posts, read 1,827,114 times
That is a decent area. You could do much better and much worse. I do not think your house will appreciate much faster than inflation, unless maybe if the NY State Property Tax mess is fixed.

East Irondequoit is somewhere in the middle as far as school districts go. Personally, I think it is moving up the list though. People are always comparing school districts but almost all suburban schools are statistically similar with regards to test scores, with the big difference being more on the parents than the teachers.

Eastridge will never be a Pittsford mainly because the families that live there will never have the resources that families in Pittsford have. Likewise, as the saying goes, you need to have money to make money, and therefore there will never be as many Ivy league Eastridge grads as Pittsford grads, and Eastridge will never outrank Pittsford.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:48 AM

9 posts, read 98,642 times
We just moved to 14609, our street is still in Rochester technically. We are about 3 blocks from the "Welcome to Irondequoit" sign =) I love where I live. My children aren't school age yet, but I know that the Catholic schools around here are really great but the public schools aren't bad either. My friend whose lived here all her life (and is in her 3o's now) will be sending her 3 year old to public preschool. She also is a High School teacher and taught at the High School that is near Culver and Main St.

I think the area you are looking at is very nice.

My neighbor just put their house up for sale and sold it in one day. My street is awesome. I really love it and have never felt unsafe in the "city"...some people think there is crime everywhere, but those people are usually the ones that live out in the suburbs. I feel very safe here.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:48 AM

169 posts, read 476,170 times
I have owned several rental properties in this area for the past several years. The neighborhood is very safe, especially the streets east of Merchants/Winton, and appears to have become more desirable as a residential area in the last two or three recent years as the area's safety and amenities have been "discovered" by young couples with kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area