Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 07:30 AM

19,331 posts, read 17,316,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think this is it and if you'll notice, that neighborhood is near U of R/Strong Hospital and isn't that far from RIT or the Airport. I believe that the Wegmans HQ's are a drive down Brooks Ave into Gates as well. So, those new homes could appeal to people that work at those institutions/companies.

If I'm not mistaken, the HH median income in that area south of Brooks is around or a little above the national figure as well.

Like you mentioned, if they have children, they have charter and private options not too far away or maybe they get into the IB program at Wilson Magnet nearby or SOTA.
For a family making plans to move into an urban area this often is not a viable option. Even here people often speak of the "open enrolment" or "special program" schools which are really good but what if you don't win one of the lottery slots or your child doesn't make the cut then your child may be condemned to their local school. This is why we see the middle class leaving the city for the burbs, it really is the schools that anchor the middle class to urban living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 09:44 AM

94,769 posts, read 125,934,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
For a family making plans to move into an urban area this often is not a viable option. Even here people often speak of the "open enrolment" or "special program" schools which are really good but what if you don't win one of the lottery slots or your child doesn't make the cut then your child may be condemned to their local school. This is why we see the middle class leaving the city for the burbs, it really is the schools that anchor the middle class to urban living.
While I understand and agree about what you are saying, many families that want urban living tend to be more open about school options, as I think they know what they are getting into. Many may live within the city accordingly or are only considering private or charter options from the start. For instance, I know of Syracuse University faculty/staff that live within the city that still send their children to public school. Some may send them to charter or private schools in or just outside of the city as well.

Another example that I think of in terms of a family and school options is of a family with I believe 6 children and lived in one of the best school districts in Upstate NY, but sent their children to Catholic school. This is considering that they went to the Catholic Jr/Sr with the highest tuition in the area. This was in the Syracuse area and I only know about this because the family had a lot of good athletes including a son that played point guard at Duke/QB at Syracuse, a son that played QB at North Carolina/William and Mary, a couple of sons that played FB at Georgetown and a daughter that was a college athlete. So, this is a real life occurance and school options may depend on the family.

Actually, this is the family and there are 7 kids: USATODAY.com - Pauluses are family that plays together and stays together

Old 01-10-2015, 10:16 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,892,112 times
I don't know, I guess maybe it's just me that wouldn't want to spend 180 grand and 4500+ a year in taxes (and that's after STAR!) on a nice new home sitting on a whopping .10 acre when there is NOTHING in the area to support such home pricing, other than being on the flight path for planes arriving on runway 28. I love aviation but even that's a bit too close for me.

Perhaps I'm in the minority I'd be curious to see who buys these places, as most people who can afford homes in this price range don't necessarily look for the kind of neighborhood these were built in at the same time. Not to mention 180k can buy you a lot more home/property and in a more desirable area pretty much anywhere around here. But what do I know, I've only been house hunting in the 110-160k range for the past year to see how the market is doing for when we're ready to up-size a bit next year from our current home

Old 01-10-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
While I understand and agree about what you are saying, many families that want urban living tend to be more open about school options, as I think they know what they are getting into. Many may live within the city accordingly or are only considering private or charter options from the start. For instance, I know of Syracuse University faculty/staff that live within the city that still send their children to public school. Some may send them to charter or private schools in or just outside of the city as well.

Another example that I think of in terms of a family and school options is of a family with I believe 6 children and lived in one of the best school districts in Upstate NY, but sent their children to Catholic school. This is considering that they went to the Catholic Jr/Sr with the highest tuition in the area. This was in the Syracuse area and I only know about this because the family had a lot of good athletes including a son that played point guard at Duke/QB at Syracuse, a son that played QB at North Carolina/William and Mary, a couple of sons that played FB at Georgetown and a daughter that was a college athlete. So, this is a real life occurance and school options may depend on the family.

Actually, this is the family and there are 7 kids: USATODAY.com - Pauluses are family that plays together and stays together
I don't argue the quality of Parochial Schools or the availability of private options for those will to pay or have a strong enough faith to warrant the financial sacrifice . The question for the average person is can they afford the private option as well as the higher costs of urban living for many the answer is no and they do the suburbs till the kids are grown. Here in Richmond there are many vocal proponents of city living but almost all fall into the childless/empty nester category.

The bulk of students attending city schools are those without the options to go elsewhere and those families do not rate the Rochester City Schools well.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I don't argue the quality of Parochial Schools or the availability of private options for those will to pay or have a strong enough faith to warrant the financial sacrifice . The question for the average person is can they afford the private option as well as the higher costs of urban living for many the answer is no and they do the suburbs till the kids are grown. Here in Richmond there are many vocal proponents of city living but almost all fall into the childless/empty nester category.

The bulk of students attending city schools are those without the options to go elsewhere and those families do not rate the Rochester City Schools well.
Rochester is a little bit different in that it is comparably more affordable than many cities of a similar size. I think those that stay within the city and go private are usually middle class or are working class folks that make whatever sacrifices to send their children to such schools. Some families may get financial aid or reduced rates if more than one child goes to the same school. Location/zone, family size, income and connections, among some other things, play a part in this too.

I will say that I'm surprised that a home near the airport in the suburbs wasn't on the show. I would have thought that Brighton may have been a happy medium, but the town seems to generally have an older(but nice) housing stock.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Rochester is a little bit different in that it is comparably more affordable than many cities of a similar size. I think those that stay within the city and go private are usually middle class or are working class folks that make whatever sacrifices to send their children to such schools. Some families may get financial aid or reduced rates if more than one child goes to the same school. Location/zone, family size, income and connections, among some other things, play a part in this too.

I will say that I'm surprised that a home near the airport in the suburbs wasn't on the show. I would have thought that Brighton may have been a happy medium, but the town seems to generally have an older(but nice) housing stock.

You always like to pick the obscure variables but when it comes down to it most middle class families don't have/want the money to spend on private school and this is most prevalent in cities like Rochester where the adjoining suburbs are just a few miles away. I would guess that family wanted Fairport and the city house was just thrown in to have something closer to the airport. They said Fairport to the airport was 30 minutes that's not unreasonable .

Old 01-10-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
You always like to pick the obscure variables but when it comes down to it most middle class families don't have/want the money to spend on private school and this is most prevalent in cities like Rochester where the adjoining suburbs are just a few miles away. I would guess that family wanted Fairport and the city house was just thrown in to have something closer to the airport. They said Fairport to the airport was 30 minutes that's not unreasonable .
It isn't about picking an obscure variable, but about considering all situations, as not everyone wants the same thing or environment. It wouldn't be surprising if a good percentage of students in private schools in the area live within city limits. According to the latest census info I could find; 22.7% of Pre K-K students, a little over 9% of grade 1-8 students and a little over 11% of grade 9-12 students within the city of Rochester go to private schools.

I think you are right about throwing the house in the city in there and is why I'm surprised that a home in the suburbs wasn't thrown in as well. Ironically, a sibling of mine lives in a newer development not too far from the airport. So, there were other possibilities.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-10-2015 at 03:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area