Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 02:15 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,586,180 times

Advertisements

The one place I can't believe hasn't been mentioned yet.....Pontillos Pizza. Oh man, the best pizza in Upstate NY. They are all over Rochester but the my favorite is the one on Ridge Rd. in Greece. You will never taste better pizza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2006, 04:45 PM

2 posts, read 7,958 times
Two great, healthy Resturants:
Aladin's on Monroe Ave Rochester or at Schoen Place in Pittsford if your in the mood for something fresh like a salad or sandwich. (Pine Nut Chicken Salad, dozens of pita sandwiches !!)
But for authentic Tai, which is mainly steamed vegetables and sauces, The King and I in Henrietta is FANTASTIC. ( Evil Jungle Prince, and pick your carne !!) and REAL cabbage rolls. The emplyees actually eat the food they prepare. that says a lot.

Old 10-29-2006, 11:13 PM

266 posts, read 1,195,381 times
I might have mentioned the Mediterranean restaurant we went to on Park St - we really enjoyed it - healthy and delicious... I will try to look up the name... it was in the tourist guide - we also went for dim sum at a Vietnamese restaurant and we thought it was worth going back... I will look up the name for that place as well.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 5,696 times
Thumbs up Rochester Restaurants

I like 2Vine it is nice. A few others Tastings in Pittsford, is pretty good but is it on the high side, but have never had anything I did not like.

Cartwright Inn in Henrietta with their clam chowder is older smaller restaurant that has been around for a while.

A good lunch place now they have a few store around out area is DiBella.

-Frank

Old 10-31-2006, 11:31 AM

5 posts, read 21,854 times
I have to say the asian restaurants are suprisingly good in Roc.

Chinese - Golden Port (on East Ave, downtown) is an amazing restaurant, as good as any I've been to as I was growing up in New York City (this place is somewhat like Ollie's).

Thai - The King and I, Mamasan's and Siam are three great Thai (and Vietnamese) restaurants.

Mediterranean - Kitty71 was probably talking about Sinbad's on Park Avenue, which is a crowd pleaser. Alexandria's Mediterranean Cuisine is good. Mykonos Express is a good takeout place.

See:

http://www.rocwiki.org/Restaurants
http://www.2taste.com
http://www.rochestermenus.com

Old 11-02-2006, 05:12 PM

266 posts, read 1,195,381 times
SINBAD's - Yes, thank you!!! LOVED it. Beautiful neighborhood.

The place we went for Dim Sum was on a main route near Henrietta - I still want to look it up and post it, as we really enjoyed it.

Old 11-11-2006, 08:04 PM

19 posts, read 119,393 times
Default I found the name of the Italian Grill

Well Im happy to see that it has finally happened, Rochester has a Carrabba's Italian Grill. It is in Henrietta, on W Henrietta rd, just south of Jefferson Rd. I went to the one in Syracuse, and met the owner. I really loved the food, it was Italian with a slight Texas/South-Western flavor. I'll post more once I've had a chance to visit the local establishment

Old 11-11-2006, 09:38 PM
Lax

58 posts, read 452,001 times
ehhh I don't know why anybody would go to a place like carrabba's in Rochester . It is a chain place so what you are getting is glorified frozen food. The area has many Italian Americans, so you have real Italian eateries to choose from. I can think of 50 other places I'd go to than some crappy chain place. One of the nice things about western ny is the lack of chain restaurants and abundence of mom and pop places.

Old 11-11-2006, 10:18 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,586,180 times
Amen.... that's what I love most about the community in WNY.... it's not completely taken over by the same bix box stores and restaraunt chains as everyone else. You have more variety and it actually gives more of a sense of "locality"

Old 11-12-2006, 04:06 PM

19 posts, read 119,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lax View Post
ehhh I don't know why anybody would go to a place like Carrabba's in Rochester . It is a chain place so what you are getting is glorified frozen food. The area has many Italian Americans, so you have real Italian eateries to choose from. I can think of 50 other places I'd go to than some crappy chain place. One of the nice things about western ny is the lack of chain restaurants and abundence of mom and pop places.
Yes it is a chain, however it isn't a chain that is NOT everywhere, there is only one in a given area. In this case there is one either 60 miles to the west or 90 miles to the east. Incidently Aladin's mentiond above is a chain as well, no one saw fit to denegrate the poster of that fact. Does it make the food from there any less well prepared? I'm so sure the people running the Syracuse store are the same as the ones in the Rochester location. how about the Ithica store? Carrabba's is simply farther along the in the cycle.

I had good food at the one I went to in Syracuse. I doubt that any chain that gets consistantly good ratings for its food would work off the frozen entre style you are implying. I also did not say that it was authentic Italian, but Italian with a South Western flavor. As such - it is something different in this area, which as you mentioned has many authentic Italian resturants. I mentioned a hidden gem of authentic Italian places myself above - Ricci's on Merchant St.

I am going to make an assumtion here, but based on the other posts I think that people are looking for a variety of good food, well prepared to the style of choice. Even if the choice is Nick Tahou's. There are some good chains, and I will say that the owners on the web site are the real owners that I met one of in the Fayettville(Syracuse) location. They seem to care about the quality of the presentation and service, and are not franchising the quality away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area