Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 04:45 PM

7 posts, read 8,159 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are coming up to Rochester for a grad school visit in February. While he's interviewing and learning about the school, I'm hoping to get a feel for where we want to look for housing should he be accepted and decide to attend UR.

Are there any tour companies in Rochester or maybe real estate agents that offer a relocation tour? I don't really want to go on a site-seeing tour but one that has more neighborhood information.

We will likely rent (at least for our first year) and while a house would be nice, I don't want either of us to have to deal with yard work. We're looking for at least a two bedroom and a place that accepts pets – our smallish dog and largish cat. Four would be ideal for a guest bedroom and an office for each of us but I know that's asking too much.

And while I'm at it, can anyone recommend any good design or advertising agencies to research for a possible job for myself? I'm an experienced graphic designer.

Can't wait to explore your city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 06:46 PM

Thanks for the links. I've done a lot of research so far, so I have a general idea of where I'd like to look. Just wondering if anyone might know of how I might be able to take a tour with a knowledgeable local.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:01 PM

270 posts, read 471,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssc View Post
Thanks for the links. I've done a lot of research so far, so I have a general idea of where I'd like to look. Just wondering if anyone might know of how I might be able to take a tour with a knowledgeable local.
Ckhthankgod is not a local but likes to pretend he knows it all with all the Google search links.

Congratulations on the interview and shall I say welcome to Rochester. Most of the UofR students live along the Mt. Hope Ave because either they like to walk to school or they don't have cars. Throughout the years those small houses were good investments especially if you can find one well below $100k but those days are gone. Renting is definitely the way to go especially if you are nit planning to stay for more than 5 years. A lot of students also like the Rustic Village apartments or along the Elmwood avenue area. If you like a bit if actions or night life than Park Avenue is cool but people there tend to be younger and likes to party too much. Winter is not the best time to visit Rochester because it will look like a ghost town. There are a lot of rental Realtors in the Park Avenue area. I am glad that you are married because Rochester is really boring you are single. People tend to hangout with their own families and relatives. Welcome abroad!

Old 01-27-2014, 03:08 PM

Hey, thanks for the info!

I'm not typically into apartment complexes because I like more character to my living spaces, but everywhere I've looked says students tend to live in Rustic Village/Elmwood. So I guess I'll have to check it out.

And yeah, I'm kinda bummed about visiting in February, but if he gets in and we decide to move, we'll definitely have to come back in the summer to find a place so hopefully I see more people then!

Any sources for finding a good rental realtor? I don't mind paying if someone can help me find a great place.

Thanks!

Old 01-27-2014, 03:30 PM

270 posts, read 471,178 times
Quote:
Hey, thanks for the info!

I'm not typically into apartment complexes because I like more character to my living spaces, but everywhere I've looked says students tend to live in Rustic Village/Elmwood. So I guess I'll have to check it out.

And yeah, I'm kinda bummed about visiting in February, but if he gets in and we decide to move, we'll definitely have to come back in the summer to find a place so hopefully I see more people then!

Any sources for finding a good rental realtor? I don't mind paying if someone can help me find a great place.

Thanks!
You are welcome! Are you looking for the same thing at your home state/town? If so, would you mind sharing where about are you from? I personally think you will enjoy the towns on the canals like Pittsford and Fairport. You can have your husband pickup an apartment finder books which is free at the supermarkets. Don't pay the agents because only you know what suits you. Good luck and please post back if you have any question or PM me. Take care!

Old 01-27-2014, 03:44 PM

We're from Louisville, KY and live in a pretty urban area, the Highlands. Here's a representative view of the area. I guess we'd be looking for something similar, older home/building in a relatively dense area.

I'll look at Pittford and Fairport. Of course, this all depends on him actually getting in and where I'm able to find a job! I'm quite spoiled now being just a mile from work so I can walk, bike or drive depending on how I'm feeling. I'm hoping if we relocate we'll be lucky enough to have some some coincidental blessings like a great location or a great place to live to make the uprooting easier to take!

Old 01-27-2014, 03:48 PM

94,813 posts, read 126,026,171 times
Quote:
We're from Louisville, KY and live in a pretty urban area, the Highlands. Here's a representative view of the area. I guess we'd be looking for something similar, older home/building in a relatively dense area.

I'll look at Pittford and Fairport. Of course, this all depends on him actually getting in and where I'm able to find a job! I'm quite spoiled now being just a mile from work so I can walk, bike or drive depending on how I'm feeling. I'm hoping if we relocate we'll be lucky enough to have some some coincidental blessings like a great location or a great place to live to make the uprooting easier to take!
If you are used to the Highlands, then the SE Quarter of the city would be the best option. Brighton is a nice adjacent suburb next to that area, with some walkability around the 12 Corners area. Look up Park Ave and SouthWedge.

Would something like this work? Graphic Design and Marketing Coordinator - Rochester, NY - Indeed Mobile

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-27-2014 at 04:07 PM..

Old 01-31-2014, 07:18 PM

94,813 posts, read 126,026,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If you are used to the Highlands, then the SE Quarter of the city would be the best option. Brighton is a nice adjacent suburb next to that area, with some walkability around the 12 Corners area. Look up Park Ave and SouthWedge.

Would something like this work? Graphic Design and Marketing Coordinator - Rochester, NY - Indeed Mobile
Here are some streetviews of that area of Rochester: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=monro...90.19,,0,11.31

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=South...1,66.57,,0,1.1

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Swill...311.16,,0,6.21

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Swill...,155.27,,0,2.3

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Swill...204.83,,0,6.51

Old 02-18-2014, 09:20 PM

5 posts, read 6,859 times
The South Wedge is a great area, and good walking/bus to U of R. Also Check out Erie Harbor apartments they are right on the river and bike trail, close to UR, 2 blocks from heart of the South Wedge.

MOD CUT link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area